Road2K1

RFE - 2 year meeting requirement

13 posts in this topic

Hi! I know I have this question in other forum but I still have a lot of question and by posting in it again I hope I could get clearer about this.

So, I got RFE for my K1 Visa. They need us could establish meeting in person within 2 year period before filing the petition. So here's my case, I am the beneficiary, was on F1 student visa when I met my fiancé. This below are the files we provide along with our I-129F petition package:

1. Photographs

2. My passport, visa F1, stamp

3. I-94 form history of travel to US

Apparently, it's not enough to prove that we were met in 2 year period. Me and my fiancé thinking to submit extra documents such:

1. Airline ticket to U.S and back to my home-country

2. Boarding passes  

3. Affidavit from friends

4. new pictures

5. my student documents just to proof I was in the same city with my fiancé at that time

Do you think is it enough? I am little bit confused how to convince USCIS that we really met within 2 year period. We don't really expect they questioning about this.

BTW I went to U.S before I met my fiancé and I was a student so I don't really have itineraries or other travel documents. How can they tell that we were together if all my travel documents are for my education proposes and before we even met. I am confused and freak out when reading stuff like my case. should I be worry ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

What about the statement included on the I-129F form? Did you specify where and when did you meet your girlfriend within 2 year period before filing the petition? Assuming you saw her everyday because you were on same country... did you specify that?

Edited by TheK1Journey

8 minutes ago, TheK1Journey said:

What about the statement included on the I-129F form? Did you specify where and when did you meet your girlfriend within 2 year period before filing the petition? Assuming you saw her everyday because you were on same country... did you specify that?

Yes, We put that on written statement explaining how we met and our dates/meetings

12 hours ago, Aiden_ said:

Hi! I know I have this question in other forum but I still have a lot of question and by posting in it again I hope I could get clearer about this.

So, I got RFE for my K1 Visa. They need us could establish meeting in person within 2 year period before filing the petition. So here's my case, I am the beneficiary, was on F1 student visa when I met my fiancé. This below are the files we provide along with our I-129F petition package:

1. Photographs

Apparently, it's not enough to prove that we were met in 2 year period. Me and my fiancé thinking to submit extra documents such:

2. Boarding passes  

4. new pictures

5. my student documents just to proof I was in the same city with my fiancé at that time

Do you think is it enough? I am little bit confused how to convince USCIS that we really met within 2 year period. We don't really expect they questioning about this.

BTW I went to U.S before I met my fiancé and I was a student so I don't really have itineraries or other travel documents. How can they tell that we were together if all my travel documents are for my education proposes and before we even met. I am confused and freak out when reading stuff like my case. should I be worry ?

It sounds like you have more than enough evidence.

Out of interest, what were the approx dates you traveled to and from the US? Are you close to the 2 year window (ie left US 1 year 11 months ago) or is it more comfortable? I was wondering whether they think there is a chance that your last meeting was outside of the 2 year window, even based on the dates of the documents submitted? If not, I can't think why they'd consider it insufficient, but hitting them with everything you have seems to a good response to the RFE.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

7 hours ago, Limey said:

It sounds like you have more than enough evidence.

Out of interest, what were the approx dates you traveled to and from the US? Are you close to the 2 year window (ie left US 1 year 11 months ago) or is it more comfortable? I was wondering whether they think there is a chance that your last meeting was outside of the 2 year window, even based on the dates of the documents submitted? If not, I can't think why they'd consider it insufficient, but hitting them with everything you have seems to a good response to the RFE.

I left the states around November 2019, then we file our petition on December 2019. So It’s not out of the 2 year window. 

Do you think that could prove that we were together at the same time and same place? I’m afraid when I submit the travel documents and all stuff that I mention is insufficient. I mean it’s prove that I did went to U.S for school, But it doesn’t really tell that we met. Right? Or I’m just being crazy? Too overthinking?

20 hours ago, Aiden_ said:

I left the states around November 2019, then we file our petition on December 2019. So It’s not out of the 2 year window. 

Do you think that could prove that we were together at the same time and same place? I’m afraid when I submit the travel documents and all stuff that I mention is insufficient. I mean it’s prove that I did went to U.S for school, But it doesn’t really tell that we met. Right? Or I’m just being crazy? Too overthinking?

I think you have more evidence than many. Pictures together are good as they prove you've met at some point in time, and travel docs, visas etc are useful to show when that meeting was. You seem to have those bases covered - its surprising they sent the RFE.

Its difficult for anyone to prove that they were together at a particular point of time - proving that I was in the same city as my other half doesn't prove we met, and a photo doesn't prove WHEN. But that's what most people have. The two combined should combine to be pretty persuasive.

In my case I also submitted a photo taken at a tourist attraction that had the date and attraction branding printed onto the photo, so it did prove we were together on a specific date, but most people aren't going to have that. Photos at a particular event also help (eg if its at a football game and shows the 2 teams, have you have a ticket from that game).

I'd submit the additional documents you have and you should be fine. I can't honestly think what else they could expect in terms of evidence.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline
On 4/27/2020 at 8:35 PM, Aiden_ said:

1. Photographs

2. Boarding passes  

4. new pictures

They asked me the same thing for my RFE, when resending pictures put month, date and year and the location where the picture was taken so they know and also indicate who the fiance is in the picture (Beneficiary) and who the petitioner on the picture is. For the visa stamps on your passport circle the stamps and indicate the month, date and year when you has the stamp and in what country when you were entering and exiting the country. Put your boarding passes too very important to show the boarding passes because they asked me for my boarding passes on my RFE, and you can then put the airlines tickets, hotel receipt of your travel. On the hotel receipt indicate the month, date and year and which country that was in. 

1 hour ago, Missy91 said:

They asked me the same thing for my RFE, when resending pictures put month, date and year and the location where the picture was taken so they know and also indicate who the fiance is in the picture (Beneficiary) and who the petitioner on the picture is. For the visa stamps on your passport circle the stamps and indicate the month, date and year when you has the stamp and in what country when you were entering and exiting the country. Put your boarding passes too very important to show the boarding passes because they asked me for my boarding passes on my RFE, and you can then put the airlines tickets, hotel receipt of your travel. On the hotel receipt indicate the month, date and year and which country that was in. 

it looks all worked out for you! btw I don't keep receipt when we were on dates, but can we submit our bank statement instead? another issue, when I was in school I was working under table, I got cash not that much, and I deposit money to my account, do you think it will backfires on me n the application? 

7 hours ago, Limey said:

I think you have more evidence than many. Pictures together are good as they prove you've met at some point in time, and travel docs, visas etc are useful to show when that meeting was. You seem to have those bases covered - its surprising they sent the RFE.

Its difficult for anyone to prove that they were together at a particular point of time - proving that I was in the same city as my other half doesn't prove we met, and a photo doesn't prove WHEN. But that's what most people have. The two combined should combine to be pretty persuasive.

In my case I also submitted a photo taken at a tourist attraction that had the date and attraction branding printed onto the photo, so it did prove we were together on a specific date, but most people aren't going to have that. Photos at a particular event also help (eg if its at a football game and shows the 2 teams, have you have a ticket from that game).

I'd submit the additional documents you have and you should be fine. I can't honestly think what else they could expect in terms of evidence.

Exactly, I agree with you, "proving that I was in the same city as my other half doesn't prove we met, and a photo doesn't prove WHEN" that's make me confuse how to convince them. 

Thank you! I hope it will work out for us, we planning to submit it tomorrow. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline
3 hours ago, Aiden_ said:

it looks all worked out for you! btw I don't keep receipt when we were on dates, but can we submit our bank statement instead? another issue, when I was in school I was working under table, I got cash not that much, and I deposit money to my account, do you think it will backfires on me n the application? 

No you don't have to give your bank statement. The evidence of you visa stamps on your passport,  your boarding passes, pictures and the 1-94 forms are good evidence but you just have to be detailed in writing out the dates, months  and year on your documents. Because this immigration people don't like the stress of trying to figure out things lol. 

2 hours ago, Missy91 said:

No you don't have to give your bank statement. The evidence of you visa stamps on your passport,  your boarding passes, pictures and the 1-94 forms are good evidence but you just have to be detailed in writing out the dates, months  and year on your documents. Because this immigration people don't like the stress of trying to figure out things lol. 

but I came to U.S as student, so basically I was already in the states before met my fiancé. last time, we did submit stamps and other stuff but still got RFE. By then, we thought it will insufficient to submit only boarding pass, stamps, and 1-94. We need something strong. people say submit receipt or transaction under both of our name at same place same time, unfortunately we never keep the receipts so the only proof we can show is bank statement. what do you think? we only submit 1 month bank statement tho. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Sometimes USCIS makes a mistake. It sounds like you had plenty of evidence in your initial submission. All I submitted in our packet was passport stamps and copies of a boarding pass. Maybe 1 picture with a date on it. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

17 hours ago, usmsbow said:

Sometimes USCIS makes a mistake. It sounds like you had plenty of evidence in your initial submission. All I submitted in our packet was passport stamps and copies of a boarding pass. Maybe 1 picture with a date on it. 

Thank you! We have submit the RFE today, hopefully it going good. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.