os306

DCF London Updated Steps 2020

40 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

Hey there, what form am I supposed to fill for exception now that the I-864w is not being used anymore? I need to submit my Docs but am not sure what to do.

30 minutes ago, Ziongirl said:

Hey there, what form am I supposed to fill for exception now that the I-864w is not being used anymore? I need to submit my Docs but am not sure what to do.

Honestly, this is something I have been trying to find out. Unfortunately, until my I-130 is approved through London, I am just going to wait to find out. Filing through DCF would require the I-864W to be filed, but they removed the form from USCIS' website. Even though some of us still meet the requirements. I will be reaching out to the visa unit once they are up and in the office to ask them. I'm hoping that the form that was in use previously can still be used as its expiration date was 3/31/2020, and our initial application was in before then. My guess is (and this is only a guess) is that the the USCIS didn't think ahead of the fact that those of us last to apply through DCF might still need the form, since they rolled the requirements of the I-864W into the I-485, which is used for adjustment of status from filing stateside. 

I've been doing a bit of research and I think I may have found out the answer to the I-864W issue. I had posted on an immigration legal site who directed me to the fact that we will have to provide information under the new public charge form. IF i'm reading into it right, that will be form DS-5540. I did find a better explanation here: https://www.ilrc.org/public-charge

If I understand it correctly, you would fill this out and also provide the social security statements. I'm not 100% sure, but it is something I'm going to ask the visa unit once our I-130 gets approved (whenever that happens). 

Really useful checklist by the way. Nicely summarized, I will be using this! 

We had our I-130 approval on 16th March through London DCF but as of yet not received LND number or anything else in the post yet. Assuming all has slowed down or ceased for now.  

1 hour ago, Morgan5698 said:

We had our I-130 approval on 16th March through London DCF but as of yet not received LND number or anything else in the post yet. Assuming all has slowed down or ceased for now.  

Np.. I tend to get a bee in my bonnet when I can't figure something out and will research until I can find something that helps. :)

You probably won't get anything for a bit. I think everything in the London office is in a complete stand still. Our I-130 has been sitting the mailroom since March 18th with no payment taken etc yet. I'm hoping they will update soon on when they will at least start processing things again. 

1 hour ago, Morgan5698 said:

Thanks! I needed to write all the steps down as I felt that some of the information online was confusing or outdated. The London Embassy website isn't the easiest to navigate either. I was hoping someone who had been through the entire process recently could double check the list and confirm that I'm not missing anything - but it looks like it's all correct.

13 minutes ago, Robyn-n-Kris said:

Np.. I tend to get a bee in my bonnet when I can't figure something out and will research until I can find something that helps. :)

You probably won't get anything for a bit. I think everything in the London office is in a complete stand still. Our I-130 has been sitting the mailroom since March 18th with no payment taken etc yet. I'm hoping they will update soon on when they will at least start processing things again. 

I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will resume processing when USCIS offices reopen on June 4th (as long as the UK Government does not extend the lockdown further).

3 minutes ago, os306 said:

Thanks! I needed to write all the steps down as I felt that some of the information online was confusing or outdated. The London Embassy website isn't the easiest to navigate either. I was hoping someone who had been through the entire process recently could double check the list and confirm that I'm not missing anything - but it looks like it's all correct.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will resume processing when USCIS offices reopen on June 4th (as long as the UK Government does not extend the lockdown further).

Very true. I will be watching it like a hawk. 

2 hours ago, os306 said:

The London Embassy website isn't the easiest to navigate either

I literally lost patience with the website and stopped looking! I had a good idea what needed doing anyway, but your list helped put things in order so I've saved it! 

3 hours ago, Robyn-n-Kris said:

You probably won't get anything for a bit. I think everything in the London office is in a complete stand still

2 hours ago, Robyn-n-Kris said:

Agreed! I'm thinking now and the immediate future isn't the time to be moving anyway with the jobs market the way it is. I'll just keep plodding along until I hear something, then depending on the economic climate in the US will drag my feet a bit until things improve! Interesting how we have to wait for both the UK and the US to relax the lockdown until things are likely to progress, then I guess there's A nice work backlog for the embassy to move through..... 

Hi everyone, just as an update to the first post in this thread, I realised that I will most probably need to add the new public charge (DS-5540) form to the list (thanks to Robyn for pointing this out). It looks like Consular Officers may ask for this form at the time of interview. While I cannot see any official confirmation from the London US Embassy that they have currently require it, it seems highly likely that by the time many of us who filed their petitions recently reach the interview stage, it will be necessary. I am sure more information will be forthcoming when the Embassy reopens in early June.

The form asks for information on health insurance, plans for employment after entering the US etc. and will need to be backed up with supporting documents. Therefore, it is worth looking into all of this from now. Unlike form I-864/I-864W this form pertains to the beneficiary only and is to provide reassurance to DHS that you are not going to become a public charge after arriving in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, just an update from our end. I just received my I-130 approval letter (NOA2) this morning - my petition was filed on 6 March. It does seem like things are back up and running so sending out good vibes to everyone in London waiting for their I-130s back. 🤞

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.