7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

10 years ago we brought our 8 year old grandson here on a Student Visa, he was basically an abandoned child in his country.  When we came we got legal custody of him. Got him in school, he has done great, three years ago we adopted him, one of his real parents had died, we never found the other He had no contact with her since he came over.  Our problem is that when we adopted him he was already 16 years old, Immigration had denied our petition for citizenship because he had to be 15 or younger. when adopted. We have paid $thousands in Lawyer fees and still nothing is happening. He is 19 now, Is ready to start college, but can't get drivers license or social security card.He is a great kid has several college scholarship opportunities, What can we do.

What is his current status? Unfortunately, you may be limited on options.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

His student visa is gone, there has to be something to do.He is our legal child.  He cant go back to his country, he has no family there, doesn't even speak the language.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

You can’t go around the law if it says adoption age has to be less than 16. So i don’t think you can do anything in terms of immigration. Per US system he is not your legal child but just someone staying with you.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

I understand that he is your child. But you have to understand that adoption alone does not guarantee immigration benefits. You discovered that when you found out that immigration can not be granted to adopted children over 16. 

It is a tough pill to swallow but these are international laws you will have to come to terms with. He is currently out of status. It was an amicable effort what you did for him but, again, at this point his options may be limited. Also, the older he gets the more difficult it will become to legalize. 

Currently his options are to try to obtain a student visa with a university, a possible work visa, or marrying a US citizen. The option for him to obtain a visa through you via adoption is not available.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

His student visa is gone, there has to be something to do.He is our legal child.  He cant go back to his country, he has no family there, doesn't even speak the language.

He is my legal child. I have adopton papers signed by County Judge

If you do a search on here you will find that people have attempted the adoption route many times. Adoption does not guarantee immigration benefits. It sucks but that is the way it is.

You have had a the US government deny him and a lawyer fail at getting him citizenship. And now you are on a public forum asking for options and we are telling you the same thing the government has... that you can't do anything. You are not the only person this has happened to. I have proved options that he may be successful with so it is best to try to research those options.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.