bellabarb

Need Help Writing Hardship Letter

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello All,

Here are my arguments for the letter:

1. Severe depression (no other major illnesses)- attending therapy and taking antidepressants

2. Loss in income- we have several businesses and it provides income for my parents, daughter, me and my brother

3. I support my parents in terms of finance and their daily life (they cannot speak English very well)

4. Very close to my family and fiance's family (my parents have expressed their sadness if I were to move- only daughter (my mother had 2 girls but died in the Vietnam War)

5. We have NO family in Australia

6. My brother is going thru a nasty divorce and became an alcohic due to it and I want to remain here to offer support

7. Mortgage and other debts

Would these be strong enough to recieve an approval?

Also, the letter would be reviewed in Bangkok, anyone have experience with the embassy there?

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

whats the hardship letter for? overstay or criminal convictions?? etc, etc

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Start by reading this:

http://www.visacentral.net/I601Memo.pdf

I-601 Waivers and Extreme Hardship: Strategies for Writing a Convincing Narrative for an Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

It's for an overstay and he has no criminal convictions. I've read the guidelines from Laurel Scott so that's why I wanted to know what my chances are since I have no level 1 arguments.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It's for an overstay and he has no criminal convictions. I've read the guidelines from Laurel Scott so that's why I wanted to know what my chances are since I have no level 1 arguments.

As with anyone your chances vary depending on consulate where it is being decided and who is reading your waiver request and how well the waiver is written. Also depends on length of overstay, reasons for overstay, and how long it has been since the overstay.

I can tell you from personal experience that just proving extreme hardship in the case of an overstay does not automatically mean you will be approved. We went thru London and even though we proved extreme hardship, we were still denied. We are waiting on the decision for our motion to reconsider, however we are not holding out alot of hope.

Your list of hardships 4 thru 7 are not usually considered as grounds for extreme hardship.

Bottom line is, no one can tell you what your chances are, the only way to find out is to submit the package and keep your fingers crossed.

Strongly recommend you use a lawyer that has done I-601s at the embassy that you will be working thru. That can make all the difference in the world.

June 05 Lisa and I fall in love

15 Mar 06 I-129F received at CSC NOA1

5 Aug 06 NOA2 after 143 days in CSC purgatory

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

16 Feb 07 Denial Letter received

12 Mar 07 Motion to reconsider submitted

10 Sep 07 Motion to Reconsider denied

9 May 08 Lisa and Married in United Kingdom

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

May 7 09 Lisa's Interview I 601 filed

29 Jul 09 I-601 waiver approved

18 Aug 09 Passport to London Embassy

20 Aug 09 Tickets purchased for 10 Sep 09

WE HAVE FINALLY WON, OUR LONG AND HARD JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Good luck... do get a lawyer to help you with this. I am also going through Bangkok, waiver for criminal record. I have heard very little about how strict the consulate is there. The hardships I'm using - my #1 hardship is I have a spinal cord injury and use a wheelchair, and Korea is not very accessible to wheelchairs. I think everything else I am using (separation from family in US, debts, lack of job opportunities for me in Korea, and the fact that my son would need to be privately and expensively educated in an English language or international school), is secondary to that. We can only hope for the best..

Shannon 명철

Your reasons are good. You just need to word them in the best possible scenario. The hardship letter is all about the wording. The key is to make your situation as dire as possible.

You have depression. Play it up as much as possible. If you move from your family, your depression will deepen despite the meds you can count on it.

The medical system in AU? How is it? Is it cost effective or expensive? You already have a relationship with your US doctor. Do you want to lose that established relationship and have to develop another with another foreign doc?

Your line of work...what do you do for a living? Can it easily be transferred over to AU? If not, then you will be competing with native aussies for work. That is very hard to do. Not impossible but difficult.

Overstay...emphasize your spouse is NOT a felon. The worst possible thing he did was overstay. He is not a threat to the US population.

Your parents dont speak english well. Then they will need for you to be around to help out or else hire a translator (which is an added burden and cost)..emphasize this point. They cant move with you to AU as that is not feasible.

Your brother is an alcoholic. Play up your fears about him in your family ties section and intertwine among your depression. You would be depressed because you would be very worried about him if you moved away. Therefore i.e. you would become deeply depressed.

Your mortgage and debts...Indicate that if you moved away to AU there will be no way you can pay your debts. You will definitely suffer a loss of income, so how are you supposed to pay off your debt? Indicate the full amount of debt you are in. Your parents cant help you pay this debt due to X factor, etc.

Your family is in the US not AU. Emphasize this. Also if possible whatever line of work your spouse is in, can it be transferred to the US? Can he make considerably more money?

What about your family visiting you in AU? Will there be enough money to pay for airfare?

What about your daughter? Is her father in the pic? Will he allow your daughter to move all the way to AU? What about uprooting her?

You say you support your parents. This is a big argument. You need to definitely speak out about that. If you move and they lose your support how will they be able to support themselves?

Well I can maybe write more later. Remember it's all in the wording and the evidence. Just make sure you back up ALL claims.

me: US, soon-to-be ex: Sweden

Our Journey

09/25/97--met online

'97-'99---carried on long distance relationship

02/14/99---married in the US

10/23/99---received swedish residence permit

12/02/99---moved to Sweden

03/21/01---filed I-130; no visa given

06/27/02--visa interview; denied told to file I-601 for CIMT

9/12/05--visa interview; submitted 601 to Stockholm, Sweden

10/06/05----waiver forwarded to DHS; Copenhagen, Denmark

10/11/05---waiver entered into the DHS system

12/15/05---waiver finally mailed to London; rc'd snaily from ICE (12/16/05)

01/03/06----DHS London finally receives waiver; let the adjudication begin!

Jan. 25 06---LONDON APPROVES WAIVER!!!

02/02/06---sent passport off to embassy to receive visa

02/06/06---rc'd passport w/visa and infamous brown envelope

02/25/06----spouse immigrated to Florida..Miami POE, no probs!

03/14/06----spouse received social security card

03/17/06----spouse received green card!

03/12/06----Finally back in the US after 7 long years!

08/20/06--We separate after almost 8 years of marriage

06/09/07---still separated.....probably filing for divorce in August

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Misty~

Spoken like a true I2U member.

Your reply was very staright to the point and a lot of good info for this person.

isn't there a section were approved I-601s can be posted.... So peeps can use them as references?

I can't wait until the ohter site is up.

Ciao for now

We met in 1990 We married in texas 1998

Moved to Canada May 1999 to see how we would like it.

Traveled back and fourth from Texas and GTA area since.

2. Husband was Denied at border to enter U.S. Feb. 2004

3. I-130 To Montreal 04/24/04 receipt on 04/28/04

transfer to California

4. I-130 Approval 10/27/04

5. NVC recieves case 11/21/04

6. I rec'ed CHOICES of agent form 11/21/04

7. I rec'ed Affidavit of Support (I-864) bill 11/21/04 $335.00

bill 01-17-05 sent out fee 03/06/05

8. Sent Affiidavit of support 03/23/05

9. 2nd fingerprints to RCMP 03/23/05

10. Affidavit of Support back to ME for '04 tax info 04/09/05

11. 2nd fingerprints came back to me...FORGOT Money Order 04/26/05

12. Recieved DS-230 forms 04/26/05

13. Sent DS forms Nov. 2nd 2005

14. Had to get FBI fingerprints forgot the cost NOV. 2005

15. DS-230 sent back to us for a mistake NOV 24, 2005

16 Send back to NVC Office Nov 28th 2005

17. Currently under review Dec.19th 2005

18. Case completed on Dec. 21, 2005

19. Interview in Montreal @ 9:30 April 21st, 2006

20. Husband denied and I-601 packet was submitted

in Montreal April 21st 2006

21. Vermont sent notice I-601 was rec'ved May 15ish 2006

22. I-601 was touched Sept. 2nd 2006

23. Husbands birthday Sept 6th 2006 I-601 Touched

24. Noticed sent to me the petitioner for more evidence Oct. 11th 2006

25. Grandfather passed Oct. 18th 2006.

26. Evidence sent back to Vermont End of November 2006

27. Notice of evidence rev'ed in Vermont Dec 19th

28. I-601 wavier APPROVED June 19th 2007

***29. Husband and I separated.... Jan. 6th 2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.