BB Family

PCS to Alaska driving through Canada

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I hope everyone is practicing "Social Distancing" and staying safe from the COVID-19 lol. Im trying to get more information on what we will need to cross the border into canada when we PCS to Alaska. We will be driving. My wife is a permanent resident with a philippine passport. Im sure for myself, i can travel with orders and ID card, and i plan on getting Official Passports for all the children. I dont report until early 2021 so i have plenty of time to get everything in order once i know exactly what i need to get done. Im already tracking the command sponsorship process and already on the housing list. Ill appreciate any travel tips regarding driving through canada and alaska as well. Thanks everyone. 

K1 Process 192 Days (From Mailing to POE)

Spoiler

08-17-2018 Mailed I-129F to Dallas, TX

08-20-2018 Delivered to Dallas, TX

08-23-2018 USCIS Text and email with Receipt #

08-27-2018 Received NOA1 Hard Copy

11-21-2018 CFO Interview- Passed. Received certificate and Receipt.

01-11-2019 Approved I129F. Received Text and Email. 

01-14-2019 NOA2 Hard Copy received- Stated Received date as 20Aug18, and NOA2 date as 10Jan19. DS-160 Submitted

01-25-2019 NVC Case Number by phone.

01-28-2019 Paid Visa Fee at BPI

01-29-2019 Scheduled Interview

02-05-2019 Case "In Transit" from NVC to USEM Philippines

02-07-2019 “Case Ready” at NVC 

02-08-2019 Received NVC Letter email

02-12-2019 Completed Medical

02-14-2019 Interview Passed

02-15-2019 Case Immigrant "Administrative Processing"

02-25-2019 Case “Nonimmigrant Administrative Processing”

02-27-2019 Visa Issued

03-04-2019 Visa On Hand

03-06-2019 CFO Sticker received

03-07-2019 POE Atlanta 

AOS Process

Spoiler

05-03-2019 Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

05-07-2019 Packet arrived to USCIS

05-28-2019 AOS Fee Charged to Card

05-29-2019 NOA Date

06-03-2019 Received NOA Receipts

06-07-2019 Biometrics Letter

06-17-2019 Biometrics appointment

08-07-2019 Ready to schedule interview

08-27-2019 Interview Scheduled

09-03-2019 Interview letter received.

09-18-2019 EAD Card in production 

09-19-2019 AP Approved

09-23-2019 EAD Card mailed

09-30-2019 EAD Card received 

10-04-2019 Interview passed/Card in production

39 minutes ago, BB Family said:

My wife is a permanent resident with a philippine passport.

She can go online and get a ETA for Canada.  I think Mary's is good for 3 years.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

Made that trip.  Crossed in Tok to Canada, took the Al-Can (it’s mostly unpaved) and crossed to the US in Washington State.

My recollection?  It is the epitome of social distancing.  We hardly saw anyone.  Advice:  If you see a gas station, gas up.  There aren’t many.

Hard to get lost.  Only one road LOL

Note:  you prolly ain’t gonna be taking that road early 2021.  I’d suggest a backup plan to take the marine highway.  I did it in August and wouldn’t suggest that route anytime before May.  You have problems on that road with snow in the mountains the only way to get attention is with smoke signals.  Know what I mean?  No cell service, no services at all for long distances.

Edited by Nitas_man

• 4 months later...
On 3/30/2020 at 10:28 AM, BB Family said:

Hello everyone. I hope everyone is practicing "Social Distancing" and staying safe from the COVID-19 lol. Im trying to get more information on what we will need to cross the border into canada when we PCS to Alaska. We will be driving. My wife is a permanent resident with a philippine passport. Im sure for myself, i can travel with orders and ID card, and i plan on getting Official Passports for all the children. I dont report until early 2021 so i have plenty of time to get everything in order once i know exactly what i need to get done. Im already tracking the command sponsorship process and already on the housing list. Ill appreciate any travel tips regarding driving through canada and alaska as well. Thanks everyone. 

Hey!
Late but still: 
Our pcs to AK was in December 2019 and I'm the green card holder. We've been driving as well (the last leg from Haines, where we got off the ferry) and needed the orders (of course), green card and DoD ID. They did look at my passport but didn't stamp it or anything.
My husband had his passport card, mil ID and orders.

We did not have any issues!

It's a while until then but have a safe trip up here!

• 7 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm retired AF and in August I was planning to bring the wife back to the US and since it would be long term I would buy a vehicle. I was seriously looking at flying directly to Anchorage for maybe a month, buying the vehicle, and driving down.  My wife is on a B-2 so if we were unable to get her a Canadian transit visa (which seemed iffy), I could get her a cheap 1 way to our friend's place in Portland and Iwould drive alone. At the time I think USC and LPRs were ok to transit by filing a plan and no tourism stops. Several USCs were found in Banff doing tourist things and fined heavily, over $10k each I believe.  Then I saw Alaska was requiring testing and 2 week quarantine on arrival so we scrapped that plan and flew to Portland where we bought our van instead.  

I don't think I would try that drive in the winter.

If you want info on the drive I would research a huge amount of info available on RV sites (such as IRV2) as that is (or was) a common route for vacationers.  They would also have good info current restrictions transiting Canada by road.  

When I was researching, I also found that the marine route was closed but may be open now.

I think Alaska is still considered overseas.  Why not ship the car and fly? I think the military will still ship a car free.  Maybe you can get the port set to Seattle, frive there and ship the car and fly up?  I think it's about $100 per seat from the left coast on Alaska Airlines.  No idea where your car is now or if you have one but you might consider flying there and buying a nice 4x4. Little to no sales tax. Use USAA or NFCu car buying service and cheap financing.

Edited by Skyman

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.