brainless69

May help before you move to the USA for AOS.

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Morning all!

Just wanted to share some information which may help you if you are still in the UK. I recently moved over to the US unfortunately after the new rules about public charge set in and needing to fill in that ####### i-944 which is now needed by everyone who wil be AOS. Just thought i would add a few tips that would've helped me a lot if someone had posted about it but i guess its so new that no one really has much information. Please feel free to add more tips if you are going through the process and felt something helped you so we can pay it forward. 

So here they are-

Get any GCSE, A level, University degree certificates and bring them over with you. You will need to somehow prove this and the best way is getting intouch with the relevant Qualification places ie: AQA or your school who handled all the tests. If you have any professional qualifications bring those over too. Don't be like me and not bring anything over, I literally had the papers in my hand before i moved over and went why would they need my GCSEs as they aren't worth anything.. HUGE MISTAKE

Credit rating- This is quite a well known tip... I have had an american express card for years and did a global transfer online, literally when i applied for an AMEX it asked whether they can access my UK credit report and transfer it over. Took 5 seconds to run the check and then i was approved! AMEX USA gives you free credit reports via transunion and i could get this straight away, this is vital because when you fill in your i-944 they ask for your credit report and if you don't have one you need to prove why. Its a long process and you can either write into the credit agencies stating this or show a screen print of the error message which may or may not be accepted. I should note that I got my SSN 10 days after arriving in the USA it was one of the first things i did. So i suggest that you try and open an AMEX account in the UK before you come over, from reading reports on VJ you should try and have it open for a minimum 3 months to have the backing to do global transfer.

I think these two parts of the i-944 caused me the most trouble, can't think of anything else.

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove profanity.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Realizing this is brand new and nobody has made it to interview yet. But I am wondering how strict this is going to be on K1s. The majority who adjust status have actually been in the US living and working on other visas for years.They have credit ratings and such. Then they marry an American and qualify to adjust. K1s just never quite fit the one-size-fits-all situations that come up.  By the time your interview view comes around, maybe you will have a US credit rating and can amend. I haven’t studied this really, so am mostly thinking out loud and remembering all the other changes that left people puzzled and scrambling for ideas that didn’t turn out to be a crises as once surmised.  But it’s worrying to you now. I understand. 

Edited by Wuozopo

On 3/21/2020 at 3:04 PM, brainless69 said:

Credit rating- This is quite a well known tip... I have had an american express card for years and did a global transfer online, literally when i applied for an AMEX it asked whether they can access my UK credit report and transfer it over. Took 5 seconds to run the check and then i was approved! AMEX USA gives you free credit reports via transunion and i could get this straight away, this is vital because when you fill in your i-944 they ask for your credit report and if you don't have one you need to prove why. Its a long process and you can either write into the credit agencies stating this or show a screen print of the error message which may or may not be accepted. I should note that I got my SSN 10 days after arriving in the USA it was one of the first things i did. So i suggest that you try and open an AMEX account in the UK before you come over, from reading reports on VJ you should try and have it open for a minimum 3 months to have the backing to do global transfer.

So when you did the online transfer what did you enter for your salary information?

• 1 month later...

School Certificates and English certificate for 944- With COVID, he cant get anything because the offices are closed. We plan to submit a copy of the website saying that and an email from AQA confirming she cant get us anything. I hope this will be ok.

Credit Rating - My husband (British) does not have an American Credit Card, therefore, no Credit Score available. We are submitting the AOS soon and went to a website to confirm that he is unable to have a credit score rating so we are including that in the application. Let me know if we are understanding this incorrectly.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.