Mr and Mrs S

Interview: 2019 Tax Transcripts not available but filed paper return

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I just filed a paper return along with an application for my wife's ITIN for the year 2019. Our interview is on April 6th so the 2018 returns are still valid I believe.

My question is, would the embassy accept a copy of the tax return (with w2) in lieu of a transcript for the year 2019? Or should I just use the 2018 transcript.

The transcript for 2019 won't be available for a while it seems. During peak season, IRS estimates 11 weeks to process the ITIN then another 6 weeks to process the return itself. This mean the transcript will be available 17 weeks from now, assuming I filed correctly, and they received\processed the documents without any issues.

Edited by Mr and Mrs S

Spoiler

Our IR1 Journey So Far:

USCIS Stage:

• Jan 19 2019: Sent I130 package
  • Jan 22 2019: Delivered
  • Feb 3 2019: I130 NOA1 (Priority Date: Jan 22, 2019)
  • Assigned to Nebraska Service Center ( 😶)
  • Sep 16 2019: I129f NOA1 PD
  • Oct 26 2019: I130 NOA2 (Notice date: Oct 21 2019)
  • Nov 04 2019: Sent to NVC

NVC Stage:

• Nov 7: Received by NVC 
  • Dec 7: NVC sent email containing CEAC login details (Case Number)
  • Dec 7: AOS and IV bill payed
  • Dec 10: NVC withdrew money from Account
  • Dec 12: AOS and IV bills show paid on CEAC
  • Dec 16: AOS and IV documents submitted to NVC
  • Waiting

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Mr and Mrs S said:

I just filed a paper return along with an application for my wife's ITIN for the year 2019. Our interview is on April 6th so the 2018 returns are still valid I believe.

My question is, would the embassy accept a copy of the tax return (with w2) in lieu of a transcript for the year 2019? Or should I just use the 2018 transcript.

The transcript for 2019 won't be available for a while it seems. During peak season, IRS estimates 11 weeks to process the ITIN then another 6 weeks to process the return itself. This mean the transcript will be available 17 weeks from now, assuming I filed correctly, and they received\processed the documents without any issues.

Sure, just make sure you have to complete return and supporting documents.

• 9 months later...
On 3/11/2020 at 8:12 AM, Mr and Mrs S said:

Did you file married filing jointly or married filing separately?  I chose married filing separately and included the W-7 for my spouse.  The W-7 was denied since my spouse did not complete the 1040 for himself - he has no income to claim.  Still waiting on my form to be processed.  Hope all goes well for you.

Timeline
6 hours ago, ntur said:

Did you file married filing jointly or married filing separately?  I chose married filing separately and included the W-7 for my spouse.  The W-7 was denied since my spouse did not complete the 1040 for himself - he has no income to claim.  Still waiting on my form to be processed.  Hope all goes well for you.

I filed jointly. 

Spoiler

Our IR1 Journey So Far:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

• Waiting

Timeline
9 hours ago, ntur said:

Filing joint might have increased your return as long as your husband did not have income above a certain thresh hold. When filing jointly the non-American spouses foreign income does have to be recorded in the 1040 but most of the time you can claim a foreign income exclusion to where you do not have to pay taxes on that income.

Spoiler

Our IR1 Journey So Far:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

• Waiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.