thisisreal

Passport agency lost my Certificate of Naturalization. What can I do?

4 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

After finally becoming a US citizen (YAY!) I applied for a passport with my Certificate of Naturalization. My passport arrive more than 1 month ago but I still didn't get my Certificate of Naturalization. I called the agency and they said that they sent it January 31 and it was never returned. They offered to pay for the replacement but it will take around 6 months. 

- Can I do anything about it besides just applying for another one and wait 6 months?

- How important is to have a Certificate of Naturalization if I already have a passport? I want to travel for the summer for the first time with my US passport and I'm being a little bit worried about something happening with my papers and I don't have a Certificate of Naturalization on hand. 

- I also tried to update my SSN but the lady at the counter said that I need to provide the Certificate of Naturalization not just the US passport. 

Thank you!  

Filed: Timeline
33 minutes ago, thisisreal said:

Hello all, 

After finally becoming a US citizen (YAY!) I applied for a passport with my Certificate of Naturalization. My passport arrive more than 1 month ago but I still didn't get my Certificate of Naturalization. I called the agency and they said that they sent it January 31 and it was never returned. They offered to pay for the replacement but it will take around 6 months. 

- Can I do anything about it besides just applying for another one and wait 6 months?

- How important is to have a Certificate of Naturalization if I already have a passport? I want to travel for the summer for the first time with my US passport and I'm being a little bit worried about something happening with my papers and I don't have a Certificate of Naturalization on hand. 

- I also tried to update my SSN but the lady at the counter said that I need to provide the Certificate of Naturalization not just the US passport. 

Thank you!  

1) Take them up with their offer to pay for replacement. Did you make a copy of the Naturalization Cert before you sent it for passport processing anyway?

2) If you have to travel, just make sure you have scanned and hard copies of your passport biodata. Even if the Naturalization Cert hadn't been lost, you don't want to carry that around.

3) And lastly, you can definitely just use your US passport to update your SS record. Next time, if you go back and the same thing happens again, just ask to speak to the supervisor. I should have done so because the SS personnel from the second day said that the US passport was just fine and that the first guy was wrong. Not everyone in the SS office knows the rules, unfortunately. But of course if you want to wait until you get the Naturalization Cert, then you can do that to. I'm assuming that you don't need to go to the DMV immediately after the SS though.

Edited by xyz12345

You dont need certificate of naturalization anymore once you have a passport. You are citizen now. If you loose your passport, you just apply for a new one. Nothing else. USCIS already have all the info. Nothing to worry about anymore. 

• 1 year later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

@thisisreal : Can you update us how did you handle the lost Naturalization certificate? Did you re-apply for it and passport agency gave the money back OR you did receive the original late ? Thanks

My USC Journey noteshttps://tinyurl.com/myUSCNotes 

Citizenship: Completed SFO/CA(Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Nov 31, 2020 (Day 00): Submitted N400 Application, filed online.

Dec 07, 2020 (Day 08): NOA Receipt received in the mail.

Feb 19, 2021 (Day 82): Biometrics reuse notice received online.

Dec 22, 2021 (Day 387) Interview is  scheduled for 01/25/2022.

Jan 25, 2021 (Day 420) Interview and Oath is completed.

Passport: Completed (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Jan 26, 2022 (Day 00): Submitted Application at USPS - Regular speed.

Feb 01, 2022 (Day 06): DOS received (status: in process) Locator 69: New Hampshire: Old Gen Passport to come.

Feb 23, 2022 (Day 28) :  Approved on DOS site.

Feb 28, 2022 (Day 33) :  Received the passport - Old Gen.

Mar 01, 2022 (Day 34) :  Received the passport card.

Mar 04, 2022 (Day 37) :  Received the original Naturalization Certificate safely.

SS Updates: In Progress (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Feb 29, 2022 (Day 00) :  Received the passport card, used it for SS updates request on the same day.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.