umngmc

My IR-1 Montreal interview experience, June 13, 2007

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello Fellow VJ'ers

We certainly have a very loyal group of Montreal VJ'ers on this forum and we have all tried to help one another through this stressful process...... Here is my experience and comments on this whole process.

If you've been following the Montreal thread in this forum started by Darryl, you know a little bit about my situation. Everything was uneventful until the Adam Walsh setback, which was annoying, but just a minor setback. Than the torturous wait for an interview, but after I bugged them enough, they finally scheduled an interview for me on the same day with Colin Wilson.

Petition filed early August 2006, checklist sent in late September 2006, interview notice (finally) on May 13, 2007, and interview date on June 13, 2007.

So I live in Vancouver, and since they only do the CR1/IR1 interviews in Montreal, I had to fly out to Montreal for the interview. Of course my interview was scheduled on a Wednesday, so I had to take 3 days off mid-week for the interview. I was gonna make a trip out of it! Luckily, my interview date was the week after the F1 race, because all the hotels were full the week before. I pity the poor souls who had interviews last week!!

I got into Montreal at 4:50 PM after a 4.5 hour flight plus 3 hour time change. If you're not picky about class of hotel, than I'd highly recommend La Tour Centre Ville on Rene Levesque Street. It's esentially right across the road from the consulate, literally less than a 5 minute walk. We made the mistake of taking the shuttle bus downtown. If you're travelling by yourself, than that might be OK since it's a $14 shuttle bus ride. But a cab ride is $35 flat from the airport to downtown, so it's FAR better if you're travelling with 2 or more people. La Tour Centre Ville is a 2-star hotel at best, but it's hard to beat the convenience factor, and it's really close to Old Montreal!

The consulate is at the corner of rue Saint-Alexandre and Rene Levesque, but I scoped out the location the night before just to make sure I knew where it was. Enjoyed a nice Classic French dinner in downtown the night before to relax before the big day.

Woke up the next morning at 6:30 AM to get ready to try and get to the consulate by 7:15 AM. The doors open at 7:30 AM. When I got to the consulate, Colin Wilson was already there waiting, so he was the only person ahead of me. By 7:30, 2 other people behind me had joined the lineup for immigrant visas.

The doors opened at 7:30, and we had to first pass security. They look at your passport and interview letter to allow you entrace to the consulate. You will receive a little scrap of paper with a letter on it, that indicates your place in line. Mine was letter "B". After security, I was lead downstairs to a holding room to wait for the elevator to take us upstairs. The security guard lead us upstais at 7:45 AM and they instructed us to head to Window #9 when we got upstairs.

At Window #9, a lady took our little scrap of paper and interview letter and instructed us to wait in the large waiting room. A little bit before 8:30, our name was called back to Window #9 where a gentleman looked over our documents and application. He gave us back a bunch of documents and took our new I-864 Affidavit and financial supporting documents. He asked us questions on my wife's derived income. Since she filed a return with the IRS in 2006, he asked how much of the amount was from a USA source. My wife only worked 2 months in the USA in 2006 and the remainder of the year in Canada. As mentioned by Darryl and more recently by Colin, they will only accept USA sourced income!! They will accept Canadian sourced income from the sponsor only if it will continue after the sponsor moves back to the USA. If you do not meet the income requirements, you must provide proof of liquid assets in USD at least 5 times the poverty limit for your family size.

Luckily, from the experience of Darryl, I filled out a new affidavit with our assets information and brought with us to the interview proof of our USA based savings accounts and brokerage accounts. My wife did not meet the income requirement, but luckily kept her USA based assets....... The guy took all of our stuff, gave us a slip to go pay the cashier $380 USD (Visa and Mastercard accepted), and have another sit in the waiting room for our "interview".

At 9:10 AM, we were called to room #7 where another gentleman with a really deep voice first asked me to scan my 2 indedx fingers. He then asked how we met. And lastly asked to see proof of domicile. If your USA spouse still has his/her USA Driver's license, than bring it along!! We left it at the hotel, but luckily, we brought along emails with our realtor in Texas, as well as a headhunter my wife has been using helping her land a job.

He congratulated us, our visa was approved, and he said that they'll be mailing my passport with visa packet back to us in about a week. We were finished before 9:30 AM. I was relieved!! I thought we were going to run into the same problem as Darryl, as he had dropped off all his proof of financial assets later that day. The only difference was that we had the affidavit filled out beforehand and brought the proof of assets with us. As a note, I also brought proof of work eligibility to the interview as well (I'm an orthodontist). I got licensed in the state of Texas back in January 2007.

So, if you are able to bring an offer letter from a USA company as the applicant, and obviously for the spouse sponsor, that would be beneficial. Be prepared!! Bring more than what you need, and you can always shred the extra copies later!!

My thoughts on the whole process....... It seems like they approved everything that day. All of the stuff we sent to them last September 2006 (the checklist) was untouched!!! They let us keep the immunization record and chest X-ray, another big waste. Overall, it seems pointless to travel all the way to Montreal to verify our documents and a 5-minute interview. I'm just not sure what the whole waiting period with the NVC was for......

I'm just relieved that the whole process is coming to an end. I hope to get the visa in hand by the end of next week! I wish the best of luck to all you other VJ'ers, and I wish Colin and Darryl the very best in their quest for the elusive Green Card.

Cheers,

Matt

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Great review, and congrats

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations Matt... The review will definately be helpful to others going through MTL.

AOS

Filled : 2007-09-17

NOA : 2007-09-25

Biometrics : 2007-12-13

EAD card prod : 2007-12-13

Job Offer : 2007-12-18

EAD card prod : 2007-12-18

EAD approved mailed : 2007-12-21

EAD in Hand : 2007-12-24 (Awesome Christmas Present)

Applied for SSN : 2007-12-26

SSN arrives in mail : 2008-01-05 (Happy New Year)

Start work :2008-01-15

Congrats Matt! I'm glad to hear you got approved!!!

03/29/2003 Our wedding in Canada

04/30/2004 I became a Permanant Resident of Canada!

IR-1/DCF

09/19/2006 Filed I-130

09/19/2006 I-130 approved!

10/05/2006 Packet 3 arrived with approval letter.

10/19/2006 Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

10/20/2006 Montreal receives Packet 3

01/23/2007 Everything currently on hold due to Adam Walsh Act :(

03/14/2007 E-mail from Montreal saying i'm clear from USCIS on Adam Walsh Act

03/22/2007 Got e-mail from Montreal that interview is May 22nd!

05/15/2007 Finally received interview letter

05/22/2007 Approved!!!!

05/28/2007 Visa arrived!!!

05/31/2007 Big move to the US

06/12/2007 SSN arrived

06/22/2007 Welcome letter arrived

06/28/2007 10 year Green Card arrived!!!

N-400

05/31/2010 Eligible to apply for citizenship

Congratulations :dance:

"Daca voi nu ma vreti, io va vreau"

DCF Frankfurt Germany

01/12/2007 I-130 filed in person at the Consulate in Frankfurt

01/17/2007 Faxed the checklist to the Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt

03/29/2007 Got letter from USCIS to provide evidence that our marriage is bona fide

04/02/2007 Sent to USCIS lots of evidence

05/03/2007 I have an unofficial "PETITION APPROVED" ...waiting for confirmation from Consulate

05/07/2007 Received email from USCIS ROME confirming that our petition was approved (why Rome? because we complained to the District Office Rome about the Sub-Office Frankfurt..it took too long for our petition to be approved)...now waiting for the interview letter from the Consulate

05/18/2007 E-mail from IV Frankfurt, our interview was scheduled for May 29th

05/19/2007 Packet 4 in the mail: ja ja ja interview letter

05/29/2007 Interview at 7.30 a.m. APPROVED Thank you, God!

06/01/2007 Visa arrived !

06/03/2007 Mayday on the plane POE Cincinnati

Living in Maryland

06/21/2007 Welcome Notice from USCIS

06/29/2007 Applied for SSN at the local Office

07/07/2007 Green Card arrived

07/09/2007 Another 2 Welcome Letters from USCIS...God, they really love me! :D

07/20/2007 Social Security Card arrived

Living@working in Maryland :)

01/18/2009 PCS-ing to Stuttgart Germany

Feb 2009 Received letter from VSC to start removing conditions.

Getting ready the packet for Removing Conditions I-751

03/12/2009 Mailed the I-751 packet to Vermont Service Center

Congratulations. My interview is Wednesday and I'm staying at that hotel too. It looks pretty nice on the website. lol

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

07/21/07 Entered United States on K1 visa

08/18 Married

10/20 Sent AOS package to Chicago; arrived on 10/22

11/21 Biometrics appointment

12/14 EAD card production ordered; AP approved

12/15 AOS transferred to CSC

12/22 AP arrives in mail

12/27 Received EAD in mail

02/15/08 Green Card production ordered

02/25 Received Welcome letter in mail

02/28 Green card arrived in mail. Done with USCIS for now

01/12/10 Sent I-751 to California Service Center; arrived on 1/14/2010

02/09 Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

03/08 Card production ordered

03/10 ROC approval letter arrives

03/15 Ten year Green card arrives

02/17/12 Mailed citizenship application

forget day Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

05/14 Interview and test in Indianapolis, Indiana

05/23 Received oath letter

06/15 Oath ceremony...end of the line.

Timeline

Matt,

Congratulations! I'm so glad you were able to bypass all the BS and get the job done! Good luck on the rest of your journey.

Darryl

08/26/2006 Wedding in Canada

09/05/2006 Filed I-130 petition at Toronto US Embassy

09/05/2006 I-130 approved at Embassy

09/29/2006 Packet 3 arrived with official approval letter

10/13/2006 Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal via registered mail

10/17/2006 Montreal rec'd Packet 3

11/01/2006 Called Montreal - said interview would be scheduled Jan/Feb

01/10/2007 Called Montreal - said interview would be scheduled in Feb

02/06/2007 Called Montreal - were told communication was coming

02/10/2007 Rec'd letter from Montreal re: Adam Walsh Act delays

03/13/2007 Rec'd letter from Montreal saying we're clear from Adam Walsh and back on track

03/15/2007 Rec'd email from Montreal saying interview would be scheduled in next 4-12 weeks

Unknown Finally had interview in Montreal - passed!

Unknown Got green card in the mail

unknown Applied for & rec'd SSN

08/20/2007 Moved to the USA

03/01/2009 Starting sending in my I-751 removal of green card conditions

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline
If you do not meet the income requirements, you must provide proof of liquid assets in USD at least 5 times the poverty limit for your family size.

Hey there,

Glad to hear you made it through, congrats. Just wanted to mention though, for anyone else reading this who is going to use assets (item 29 on the I-864):

"In order to qualify based on the value of your assets, the total value of your assets must equal at least five times the difference between your total household income and the current poverty guidelines for your household size. However,if you are a U.S. citizen and you are sponsoring your spouse or minor child, the total value of your assets must only be equal to at least three times the difference."

Cheers!

Congrats!

Just out of curiosity though, how would one prove domicile at an interview? When I immigrated to Canada, I had to relinquish my US drivers license. Would having a physical address in which we are going to be living at (if approved, of course) be enough to prove domicile ?

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2faws.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif

Timeline:

02-26-05 Married

09-05-05 Permanent Resident of Canada

06-18-07 Mailed in husbands I-130 to US Consulate in Toronto

06-20-07 US Consulate in Toronto recieves I-130 packet via Expresspost packet

07-12-07 Call from Toronto Consulate, advised to call to confirm or make an appointment.

07-13-07 Called and spoke with Toronto Consulate, set appointment for 07-17-07

07-17-07 Interview at Consulate,APPROVED

08-07-07 Packet 3 arrived!!

08-20-07 Mailed DS-230 and Checklist to Montreal

08-21-07 Montreal received DS-230 and Checklist

09-04-07 Packet 4 from Montreal arrives !!

09-06-07 Medical scheduled for 09-19-07

09-19-07 Hubbie has medical, all went well, results to be mailed on 09-21-07

09-25-07 Pick up medical from fed-ex

10-05-07 Interview.........APPROVED !!!!

10-10-07 Recieved passport with Visa inside (all done for a few months)

11-08-07 Hubbie activated visa at Queenston/Lewis POE

12-19-07 Husband finally back home in Illinios, used Sarnia POE

Our Immigration approval took 3months, 2 weeks, and 5 days

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Congrats!

Just out of curiosity though, how would one prove domicile at an interview? When I immigrated to Canada, I had to relinquish my US drivers license. Would having a physical address in which we are going to be living at (if approved, of course) be enough to prove domicile ?

Hi Candy

It's too bad you had to relinquish your US Driver license. That certainly would be a big help...... Other things we brought were my wife's investment and bank accounts in the states. If you have a voting record, that helps. As well as maintaining to file US tax returns.

Other things we brought were e-mails between us and real estate agents. We also had emails between my wife and a headhunter.

Of course, if you had property in the States, or just bought a house, that would be ideal. If you have a job offer in the States, that would be gold. Immigration just wants to know that you plan on moving back and living in the States. They don't want to give out green cards to people who live abroad and apply for immigrant status just because they're married to an American.. So if you don't currently live in the USA, they want to know that you still have "ties" to the States or are planning to move back.

Good luck in your journey,

Matt

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.