hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2021 at 12:26 AM, Waiver_Seeker said:

Hi guys,It appears, I am now done with this process. Wish you all luck and best wishes. I will hang around the platform for a few weeks to provide answers, and respond to anybody who might have questions about my experience.

my_logo.png

Case Was Approved

On September 3, 2021, we approved your Form I-612, Application for Waiver of the Foreign Residence Requirement (under Section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as Amended), Receipt Number EAC XXXXXXX. We sent you an approval notice. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you do not receive your approval notice by September 23, 2021, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

@Waiver_Seeker How did you find out your USCIS case number? Is that sent over via mail? Thanks!

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
6 hours ago, CaptainHaddock said:

@Waiver_Seeker How did you find out your USCIS case number? Is that sent over via mail? Thanks!

Yes, I will ask that you just wait for 3 weeks after your approval and then contact USCIS Through Emma chat. If you wait for three weeks, they will send you the receipt number and  then you will  enter the receipt number  in the USCIS status check platform and see when  they have sent you the final approval.

Alternatively, you can got  through USCIS Emma chat( https://www.uscis.gov/). When you scroll down the page, a tiny tab will appear on the upper right side of the platform  which says " Need Help? Ask Emma.  Click on it and type "Chat with a live agent" Then, choose "no receipt. They can be slow while responding because each live agents attends to 3 -4 people at the same time. They will ask for a lot of details ( name, address, phone, alien number etc.) so just keep those handy. When they ask for the issue you are contacting them for,  type exactly this:

"US Department of State electronically forwarded a Form I-612  to USCIS around Sept 1. Can you please help me find the receipt number for it?"

But the best trick is just to wait for about 3 weeks and they will mail you the receipt. With that receipt number, you can then go into USCIS status check platform. This is because the people who manage the Emma chat do not always have full access to the USCIS backend documents. In my case, I kept asking Emma chat staff to help find my receipt, and they told me 3 time that  it was not yet in the system. I later found out that USCIS has mailed the receipt to me  2 days earlier. The  Emma live agents did not even know that Uscis  had already prepared and mailed the receipt out to me. But if after a month you do not get the receipt number, tell  Emma agents to raise a service request for you and they will do so.

It is a lot of info here, but let me know if it is clear to you.

Luck

On 8/31/2021 at 10:05 AM, WaiverFinder said:

Hi all,

I sent all the documents to DoS on 25th of May (2021) and they showed up on their website in the first days of July. My embassy sent (via e-mail) the NOS twice, on 29th of May and on 7th of July. However, even to date (31st of August) the NOS doesn't show up on their website.

Anyone else finding a big delay (3 months+) before the website reflects the NOS? My J1 expires mid October.

I find this process one of the worse: no transparency whatsoever, random delays, no answers, and misleading information (e.g., website says "that 12-16 weeks after we received all the documents", should be "12-16 weeks after an arbitrary, unknown point in the future when we feel like we'll update the case to reflect the document that we received"). I understand that the COVID19 situation slow things down, but the process seems really broken to me.

I've asked twice DoS via e-mail about the status of my NOS and I never received a response back (except the two automatic e-mails with contradictory information -- "we'll get back to you in 10 business days" and then "we'll get back to you in 25-30 days"). I've tried to ask help from two senators and none of them were able to help (my experience is that they can help once the case is at USCIS, but not so much when it is at DoS).

Finally, I have more than four J1s, do you think that this may cause a delay? None of them were government sponsored.

Thanks.

Hi, 

I same thing is happening to me. My documents were received by DOS on 19th April 2021. My embassy sent NOS on  28th May 2021. I emailed DOS 3 times (July 26th, August 9th, September 13th) to check if the embassy needs to send NOS again but DOS never replies. My J1 is expiring 20th November 2021. This process and has been extremely long with little clarity. 
Hope you get yours before your J1 expires!

3 hours ago, jasmine611 said:

Hi, 

I same thing is happening to me. My documents were received by DOS on 19th April 2021. My embassy sent NOS on  28th May 2021. I emailed DOS 3 times (July 26th, August 9th, September 13th) to check if the embassy needs to send NOS again but DOS never replies. My J1 is expiring 20th November 2021. This process and has been extremely long with little clarity. 
Hope you get yours before your J1 expires!

I'm sorry to hear that this is the case for you as well. Do you happen to know whether your embassy sent the NOS via e-mail or via post?

I wish you good luck! At this point I'm packing my things already as this is not going to work for me in less than one month from now on.

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
19 hours ago, Ari.7 said:

Anyone here sent their package after 15th July, 2021 to DOS and received an update? 

thanks!

Sent mine on the 25th and nothing yet.

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Just now, RP26 said:

no I never contact to senator for the the application expedited. Did you try it ?

I have heard that you should reach out to your senaotr and convince him/her of the urgency.

Have anyone received any updates online recently?

All my documents were received June 28th, 2021 and on the automatic reply from DoS it said to please allow them up to 12 weeks before updating their system, and my case is over 12 weeks now. I emailed them to double check that they have received my NOS from the embassy, but they won't get back before 25-30 business day according to the automatic reply. 

21 hours ago, Cris Santos said:

I’m also waiting for an update ☹️ My case will require sponsor views so the fact that it’s already been more than 16 weeks is quite frustrating 

5AF9618A-ACF3-4A38-BCBC-272FB13D95CE.jpeg

I actually just got an update in the system saying they have received my paperwork. Looking at your timeline, did they update the system with the "No Objection Statement" 5 days after your other documents were marked received or did they backtrack the date?

16 weeks, wow. Have you emailed them and asked for an update?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.