hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, 

I have applied for J1-waiver in first week of January,2020. Documents were received by DoS on January 9, 2020 and my case status was updated on January 22, 2020. 

It's been almost 6 weeks but there is no update about NOS. I confirmed with my consulate (India) and they forwarded the recommendation on January 9, 2020 and I have also received a copy. 

My J1 will be expiring on May 31, 2020 and I am getting worried. Any ideas how to confirm about whether DoS has received the NOS or not?

Thank you 

J1-waiver.thumb.PNG.91b8fb6644c2cb7af036cd42e659afac.PNG

• 1 month later...

Hi Jessicaaa, 

I received favorable recommendation on my case last week. Here is what I did in brief after my last post. 

- Same week (March 5,2020) I contacted local congressman's office and explained my situation. They inquired about status of the case and DoS replied to their query on March 10, 2020. DoS mentioned that they haven't received my NOS from embassy as I suspected. I forwarded my copy of NOS letter to DoS and congressman's representative through email. Also contacted my embassy and they again forwarded the NOS to them. It got updated on the same day (March 10, 2020). I am not sure by which means they received the NOS copy, but they updated it. 

- Since then I wrote to them(DoS) every week about possibly expediting my case. They replied with asking for details mentioning about research being of US national interest. I obtained a letter from my supervisor as requirement and forwarded it through email. After that waiver case was expedited and I received the decision last week. I assume the person reviewing my case was considerate(just my guess). 

Please, let me know if you require more details or have any additional question. Additionally, I came to know today that US DoS granted two month extension to J1 having expiry date between April 1 to May 31, 2020. 

• 2 weeks later...
I've sent my documents to DOS, St. Louis, and the Indian embassy, Washington DC. on March 17th 2020. Still I couldn't see documents received by DOS. I have been emailing them but no response yet. My J1 is ending soon.  Could you please suggest what could be done at this critical time? or if you've any idea of what's going on at the end of US Department of State ? 

Hi PriyankaG, 

Usually it takes 3-4 weeks for DoS to update the documents status on the website. I assume you sent it through registered mail (tracking). Also, you can check the status of payment( I sent a money order and DoS cashed it on 2nd day after receiving the documents. In my case, they received the documents on Jan 7th and on website it was updated on Jan 22nd. 

It seems already delayed in your case, however I know in some cases it takes 4-6 weeks after which they updated it. I have no idea about the situation at DoS, but they have been processing cases for sure. Hopefully, it will be updated soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 5:07 PM, PRIG said:
I've sent my documents to DOS, St. Louis, and the Indian embassy, Washington DC. on March 17th 2020. Still I couldn't see documents received by DOS. I have been emailing them but no response yet. My J1 is ending soon.  Could you please suggest what could be done at this critical time? or if you've any idea of what's going on at the end of US Department of State ? 

Hi I from thailand my ds3035 arrived at st.Louis on march05,2020 un till now (may05,2020) don't see any update online on DOS website yet little bit concern for my case.anyway I see on email they said little bit delay upto 8 weeks because of covid19 anyone got any I dea pls share 

Thank you

9 hours ago, yala2010 said:

Hi PRIG if you have any update pls let me know 

Thank you

Hi Yala, 

my situation is still the same. not even showing my case no. on DOS website. It’s been 7 weeks now. But in your case it’s already past 8 weeks since your documents were received on March 05 at St. Louis? Please keep us updated over here. Good luck! 

I will update sure

5 hours ago, PRIG said:

Hi Yala, 

my situation is still the same. not even showing my case no. on DOS website. It’s been 7 weeks now. But in your case it’s already past 8 weeks since your documents were received on March 05 at St. Louis? Please keep us updated over here. Good luck! 

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2020 at 1:13 PM, hharry16 said:

Hi Jessicaaa, 

I received favorable recommendation on my case last week. Here is what I did in brief after my last post. 

- Same week (March 5,2020) I contacted local congressman's office and explained my situation. They inquired about status of the case and DoS replied to their query on March 10, 2020. DoS mentioned that they haven't received my NOS from embassy as I suspected. I forwarded my copy of NOS letter to DoS and congressman's representative through email. Also contacted my embassy and they again forwarded the NOS to them. It got updated on the same day (March 10, 2020). I am not sure by which means they received the NOS copy, but they updated it. 

- Since then I wrote to them(DoS) every week about possibly expediting my case. They replied with asking for details mentioning about research being of US national interest. I obtained a letter from my supervisor as requirement and forwarded it through email. After that waiver case was expedited and I received the decision last week. I assume the person reviewing my case was considerate(just my guess). 

Please, let me know if you require more details or have any additional question. Additionally, I came to know today that US DoS granted two month extension to J1 having expiry date between April 1 to May 31, 2020. 

Hi hharry16, In which ground did you apply for expedited processing? In their website, it is written that "Expedited processing is available in urgent humanitarian needs and/or significant U.S government interest." I am planning to submit on the ground of severe financial loss. Will it work, or do I need to specifically apply for expedited processing on the ground of urgent humanitarian need?

Hi guys, is there anyone in this forum who has sent their J1 waiver stage III documents to Saint Louis on 17 -18th March 2020 or later and got your case no. activated (showing documents received) on DOS website (https://j1visawaiverstatus.state.gov/)? Mine is still NOT activated yet and is past 11 weeks now. Just curious to know if someone else having similar situation might give me some idea. It is getting very frustating. DOS is not responding to my emails or phone. I would really appreciate your responses, comments or any suggestions. Thank you!

PriG

Hello Everyone, 

- I applied for a J1 hardship waiver based on exceptional hardship to my US citizen child on May 16th, 2019. 
-USCIS updated the case status tool as it has sent my application for Non-USCIS advisory opinion on April 16th, 2019.

-Since then no update on DOS website as my i612/613 has been received 

-my service requests has been answered by California Service center as they were waiting for the response from the DOS waiver review division.

- I contacted the congressman recently, answered as

“ the transferring of I-612 waiver recommendation requests to the Department of State (DOS) J-1 Waiver Division has not yet been forwarded for review yet. Per the supervisor, the current work at home mandate and limited number of clerical staff at the CSC has caused a delay in the processing of I-612 waiver recommendation requests. “ recommended a follow-up with them in 45 days to check on the status of the case.

- my j1 status expiry on June 30,2020. After then no salary no healthcare coverage. Applied for a j1 extension to take the boards. But will be in a situation of extreme financial hardship. 

I feel so helpless and frustrated. Any suggestions? 

Thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.