hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

"Expedited processing is reserved for those cases in which there is a significant humanitarian need or in which there exists a clear and significant U.S. government interest.  Cases must also contain all of the required paperwork in order to be considered for expedited processing.  While your client’s application is complete, based on the information that you have submitted, his case does not rise to the level of either of the other two factors.  Accordingly, your request for expedited review is denied.  Please note that all expedite decisions are final. "

Please advise me on the next step. 

Edited by RP26

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am currently on J1 visa (valid until Dec 31 2021) and have applied for a waiver. I interviewed for a new job yesterday and they offered to give me a J1 visa if I am selected for the position. I had earlier asked that they support my O1 application but they came back saying they can only do J1. They also mentioned that I would need to get a waiver for my current J1 before processing a new J1 visa. I have the following questions:

• Is there any way I can change from my current J1 to the new J1 while I wait for my waiver to get issued. 
  • Does getting my waiver this time affect my future chances of getting another waiver for a new J1 visa.

On 8/4/2021 at 2:31 AM, CaptainHaddock said:

Hey guys, wanted some guidance on the typical timeline for the case to show up online, as I still don't see my case reflected on the J1 status website.

Application submitted on: Apr 30, 2021
Check cashed: May 5, 2021
Embassy NOS sent: May 15, 2021

The status still shows nothing for my case number. Is this wait typical? I emailed DOS, and got an auto-reply that it takes 8-12 weeks for it to show up. It's now the 14th week for me. Any ideas on what can be done?

Thank you!

Any update? Did they reply your email or only auto-reply? I am in the same boat. Application submitted on 04/29/2021, NOS sent 05/07/2021 but no update of NOS so far. 

I applied for J1 waiver (No Objection) on 21st May. The Indian Embassy in DC generated and sent the NOS on 24th May. Assuming the NOS reached the DOS in a week, its been roughly 10 weeks since the DOS received all my documents. My visa ends in a month. Can we reach out to the local congressman to expedite our process or should we wait for 12 weeks before doing that? Please advice.

On 8/6/2021 at 2:36 AM, TM2021 said:

Any update? Did they reply your email or only auto-reply? I am in the same boat. Application submitted on 04/29/2021, NOS sent 05/07/2021 but no update of NOS so far. 

Hey @TM2021, I am still waiting for a reply. I sent a mail on Jul 24 and got an auto reply. I am hoping they'll send me a formal reply soon given it's delayed. Their emails take about 3 weeks turnaround.

Is anything reflected on the J1 status page for you? Are all your other docs apart from NOS marked as received? If so, when did those get reflected? Thanks!

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
6 hours ago, CaptainHaddock said:

Hey @TM2021, I am still waiting for a reply. I sent a mail on Jul 24 and got an auto reply. I am hoping they'll send me a formal reply soon given it's delayed. Their emails take about 3 weeks turnaround.

Is anything reflected on the J1 status page for you? Are all your other docs apart from NOS marked as received? If so, when did those get reflected? Thanks!

Give it at least a month and half after sending all stuff for things to reflect online. That's my experience. 

Timeline
On 8/6/2021 at 2:52 AM, HS1208 said:

I applied for J1 waiver (No Objection) on 21st May. The Indian Embassy in DC generated and sent the NOS on 24th May. Assuming the NOS reached the DOS in a week, its been roughly 10 weeks since the DOS received all my documents. My visa ends in a month. Can we reach out to the local congressman to expedite our process or should we wait for 12 weeks before doing that? Please advice.

That's not really how it works. DOS does not start counting from the day your docs "reached" them. If your documents physically reached them on May 21, they will process it and do some security checks on them, and then put them online a month or two later. You will discover that the date they will display online as "received" will be a month or more later than they actually received the documents. If your NOS was sent to them on May 24, they will likely display a 'received date' of June 24 or even later. They will then start counting from June 24. That's how they work.

Edited by Waiver_Seeker
Typos

Timeline
On 7/30/2021 at 11:58 AM, RP26 said:

Waiver_Seeker can you please explain about the state request.........

There is what they call "IGA waiver" a.k.a waiver request  by an "interested government agency". This must be a U.S. Federal Government Agency that has a vested interest in the visitor staying in the U.S. IGA cases can be expedited through an IGA request. The only other condition for expedited waiver request is if you applied under the Exceptional Hardship category.

Timeline
On 7/28/2021 at 9:08 AM, RP26 said:

Hello 

more than 50+ day still waiting for the favorable recommendation...
please advise on the next steps. 

asd.PNG

RP26, please keep me updated on your progress. Our timelines are very similar. Wishing you luck in this uncertain, emotive process!

8 hours ago, CaptainHaddock said:

@CaptainHaddock The J1 site shows my application as received on Jun 15, NOS just showed up yesterday. I hope your case will be updated soon. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.