hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2020 at 8:14 PM, Shib said:

I got the uscis I612 approval online. Hope to get the letter soon. So now i can start the aos process.

58FD4F73-8B92-49E5-A947-BD350E10678F.jpeg

Congratulations! I believe you can start your AOS once the State Department gives a favorable recommendation since now the USCIS have your pending waiver application. Did you get a different advice?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
6 minutes ago, J1student said:

Congratulations! I believe you can start your AOS once the State Department gives a favorable recommendation since now the USCIS have your pending waiver application. Did you get a different advice?

Thanks! Yes you are right, once you get the FR letter from DOS you can start the process. However, in my and in many others' case I believe  the letter from DOS never came. But now that USCIS has approved my case, I am waiting for the letter from USCIS.

On 6/29/2020 at 1:12 PM, PRIG said:

Hey, same situation. My NOS is yet not updated/ acknowledged on DOS website more than a month now. Have you contacted your state congressmen? is it helpful?  Please share your experience. My J1 is ending soon and unresponsive attitute of DOS is just so terrible.

Hello 
would you mind sharing any other forum for tracking i612 applications? 
thanks,

it has been 4 months since USCIS sent my application to DOS and yet still there is no response. 

On 8/24/2020 at 12:40 PM, Shib said:

Thanks! Yes you are right, once you get the FR letter from DOS you can start the process. However, in my and in many others' case I believe  the letter from DOS never came. But now that USCIS has approved my case, I am waiting for the letter from USCIS.

I would like to share my timeline with you guys. I've sent my documents from Brazil and they were delivered in St.Louis by Fedex on March 25th. After a long time (June 2nd), my case appeared online.  My NOS was also sent in March by the Brazilian Embassy, and that also took a while to show up. 

1099366171_ScreenShot2020-08-26at6_25_33PM.thumb.png.00a8fd41295f903a4e7b643fee6d1bd4.png

It has been a while, but I didn't receive a recommendation letter from DOS or USCIS. I've sent an email to the DOS asking for a confirmation that the letter was sent to me, and also for a digital copy, if possible. Still waiting on their response.

Edited by tancredo

Finally got the Favorable Recommendation from the state department!

Here is my timeline:

• March 18: application sent to department of state (except NOS)
  • May 4: application showed up on DOS website (except NOS and passport data page)
  • May 16: Embassy sent NOS
  • June 28: NOS showed up on DOS website
  • August 18: Passport data page showed up on DOS website
  • August 26: Favorable Recommendation.

It has been a long ride, now waiting for the final approval from USCIS.

Good luck to all of you!

State Department FR.png

Hi everyone,

I applied for the waiver based on No-Objection Statement (NOS). My embassy has sent the NOS but the tracker has not been updated since March. I see on other threads that some people who applied in May have already received their waivers. DOS doesn't seem to give any update my case. Anyone experiencing similar situation?

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 9.40.00 AM.png

On 3/5/2020 at 8:07 AM, hharry16 said:

Hi Everyone, 

I have applied for J1-waiver in first week of January,2020. Documents were received by DoS on January 9, 2020 and my case status was updated on January 22, 2020. 

It's been almost 6 weeks but there is no update about NOS. I confirmed with my consulate (India) and they forwarded the recommendation on January 9, 2020 and I have also received a copy. 

My J1 will be expiring on May 31, 2020 and I am getting worried. Any ideas how to confirm about whether DoS has received the NOS or not?

Thank you 

J1-waiver.thumb.PNG.91b8fb6644c2cb7af036cd42e659afac.PNG

I am having similar situation too. Have you heard any update? I sent my documents in February and my documents showed up in late March. i haven't received any update since then.

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 9.40.00 AM.png

On 8/20/2020 at 1:59 PM, Shib said:

I got a letter from uscis i797c notice of action. it sates that they have received my application from dos on 8.12.20. Lets hope for the best. I will keep you guys posted.

Hi Shib,

If I am not mistaken you got FR on  7th Aug 2020 (DoS informed that they had sent your case to USCIS electronically?) So that means the same day or the very next day after FR, ur application case was received by USCIS??? How long did it take you to get the receiving letter in ur mail box from USCIS?? 

I know you got final approval status online by 21st Aug 2020. Was wondering if you received your final letter in ur mailbox or not yet? [ I got to know couple of candidates who got FR on 6th or 7th Aug 2020, received final USCIS letter around 22nd Aug 2020]

thanks.!!  

Timeline
15 minutes ago, @shP said:

Hi Shib,

If I am not mistaken you got FR on  7th Aug 2020 (DoS informed that they had sent your case to USCIS electronically?) So that means the same day or the very next day after FR, ur application case was received by USCIS??? How long did it take you to get the receiving letter in ur mail box from USCIS?? 

I know you got final approval status online by 21st Aug 2020. Was wondering if you received your final letter in ur mailbox or not yet? [ I got to know couple of candidates who got FR on 6th or 7th Aug 2020, received final USCIS letter around 22nd Aug 2020]

thanks.!!  

Hi,

Here is the timeline below:

DOS FR Update:                                             August 7

USCIS Letter 1797c:                                     August 21

USCIS Vermont actually received case:    August 13 (This is because DOS accidentally sent my case electronically to USCIS California and then they transferred it to Vermont, which is my actual USCIS destination)

USCIS Approval Date                                   August 22

USCIS Approval letter:                                 August 27

DOS FR letter:                                                Never came

PS: I came to know about my USCIS mishap from their case updates.

Hope this helps. I would suggest have your informed USPS delivery active, so you know when the USCIS letters are in your local sorting facility. The way USPS is getting delayed, it helps to know when your letters reach your destination sorting facility.

Thanks

Shib

11 minutes ago, Shib said:

Hi,

Here is the timeline below:

DOS FR Update:                                             August 7

USCIS Letter 1797c:                                     August 21

USCIS Vermont actually received case:    August 13 (This is because DOS accidentally sent my case electronically to USCIS California and then they transferred it to Vermont, which is my actual USCIS destination)

USCIS Approval Date                                   August 22

USCIS Approval letter:                                 August 27

DOS FR letter:                                                Never came

PS: I came to know about my USCIS mishap from their case updates.

Hope this helps. I would suggest have your informed USPS delivery active, so you know when the USCIS letters are in your local sorting facility. The way USPS is getting delayed, it helps to know when your letters reach your destination sorting facility.

Thanks

Shib

Thank you Shib for this timeline. It’s helpful.

So the USCIS service is another glitch that can delay the processing. So essentially your process took 14 days (13th to 27th Aug,).
Glad that even with this mishap u got ur final letter mailed in 20 days. 

U had mentioned that ur receipt from USCIS says “case received on 8th Aug”. So the receipt was generated by USCIS California only?
Don’t know if all J1 case go to Vermont only.. 

Hope to have final approval & letter soon. 
thanks 

Timeline
1 minute ago, @shP said:

Thank you Shib for this timeline. It’s helpful.

So the USCIS service is another glitch that can delay the processing. So essentially your process took 14 days (13th to 27th Aug,).
Glad that even with this mishap u got ur final letter mailed in 20 days. 

U had mentioned that ur receipt from USCIS says “case received on 8th Aug”. So the receipt was generated by USCIS California only?
Don’t know if all J1 case go to Vermont only.. 

Hope to have final approval & letter soon. 
thanks 

Yes it was generated in USCIS California and the they moved it. I know for hardship waiver its vermont and California, but have no idea whether for NOC its only vermont.

4 minutes ago, Shib said:

Yes it was generated in USCIS California and the they moved it. I know for hardship waiver its vermont and California, but have no idea whether for NOC its only vermont.

DoS mentioned in the email that my case is forwarded to USCIS Vermont. My Case is NOS based. Hope it has to the right place.

Hello All, thank you for posting your timelines really appreciate it. I sent mine on August 10th. Based on your time lines I don’t expect the case to be updated any time soon. I have a different question: how did you know when the embassy sent your NOS? I haven’t received any intimation on mine yet. Thank you.

1 hour ago, RVK said:

Hello All, thank you for posting your timelines really appreciate it. I sent mine on August 10th. Based on your time lines I don’t expect the case to be updated any time soon. I have a different question: how did you know when the embassy sent your NOS? I haven’t received any intimation on mine yet. Thank you.

Expect documents update at least in 6-8 weeks. I’m not sure if there a way to speed up this. But after receiving of all documents one can request to expedite. 
Coming to ur question about NOS, ur Consulate will sent NOS to Washington Embassy of India first. You would receive a copy of that (Usually 1 week). When Washington Embassy forwards NOS to DoS, they send a copy to you as well. They have issuing date on it. Seems Washington embassy sends NOS in a pool of 8-10 candidates. This might take time. Alternatively, u can request to Embassy of India, Washington to forward ur NOS to DoS ( if in rush). 
Hope it helps..!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.