hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, S9471 said:

i can only assume that it depends on many factors, like when an application was deemed complete or last reviewed by someone, or maybe there is a stack of "straightforward" and "needs detailed review" cases - i've seen results be very much all over the place in terms of timing.

Makes sense. Thanks for educating me on this aspect. 

11 hours ago, Amoyar_Dever said:

Ohh.. then what's that "first in first out" thing DoS/WRD write in their email response?

There is no "first in first out".

As I mentioned before, it is random.

My friend who sent documents a week later than me already has approval.

It's not the case of complexity because his case can be more complicated than mine since he needed to send more documents for his NOS.

I have helped him preparing documents since he is new in US and actually he doesn't need waiver (he is going back to home country).

I cannot say that they still do this randomly, but I'm sure they messed up the documents around late October to early November.

On 4/5/2022 at 2:26 PM, S9471 said:

the NO route is closed for Fulbright because it's not the home country government that sponsored the program. them not objecting means nothing - it's like my landlord not objecting to me going on vacation. they have no say in the matter, and their opinion doesn't matter for the case at hand.

How do you know Fulbrighters cant get FR from DOS?

Quick updates:

All document sent - October 4th 2021

NOS sent - October 5th 2021

System update (all document received except NOS)  - December 20th 2021

NOS received - January 10th 2022

Favorable Recommendation Sent - March 17th 2022

FR Hardcopy received from DOS - March 23rd 2022

USCIS got the case - April 1st 2022

USCIS transferred the case to another office - April 5th 2022

Receipt notice in mail from USCIS - April 7th 2022

Now I’m waiting to be approved

Edited by iwantmywaiver

30 minutes ago, etcoflife said:

How do you know Fulbrighters cant get FR from DOS?

read up through this forum on past experiences. i've had acquaintances who tried and failed consistently. this is the same for us government sponsored exchange programs...

1 hour ago, qwopqwop said:

Does anybody know if generating a new Statement of Reason makes it take longer to process? Looking back I didn't fully explain my situation in the Statement of Reason and I wonder if that's why it's taking so long. I am thinking about sending them a new one.

you could send them a new one, but it's unknown whether that will have any effect on your application depending how far you are in the process

2 hours ago, S9471 said:

you could send them a new one, but it's unknown whether that will have any effect on your application depending how far you are in the process

Thanks!

BTW, unrelated to the statement of reason:

I was looking through the federal documents related to the waiver review division and found that they are planning to increase the fee from $120 to $510 (!)

Bottom left of page 74022 here: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2021-12-29/pdf/2021-28010.pdf

4 hours ago, qwopqwop said:

Does anybody know if generating a new Statement of Reason makes it take longer to process? Looking back I didn't fully explain my situation in the Statement of Reason and I wonder if that's why it's taking so long. I am thinking about sending them a new one.

What is your timeline? I think NOS from home country, and favorable sponsor views (if required) are more important than Statement of Reason.

On 4/7/2022 at 2:33 PM, S9471 said:

read up through this forum on past experiences. i've had acquaintances who tried and failed consistently. this is the same for us government sponsored exchange programs...

Some govt funded researcher who even replied in this thread got FR. There is a FB group of a Fulbrighter who got FR last year. Every case is different and it depends on the details. Yes its tough but not impossible.

7 minutes ago, Amoyar_Dever said:

What is your timeline? I think NOS from home country, and favorable sponsor views (if required) are more important than Statement of Reason.

Application sent mid-Sept 2021

NOS sent early Oct 2021

NOS re-sent late Jan 2022 because it was missing (?)

All docs appear as received as of January 11 2022 (with the NOS backdated -- added to tracker on Mar 1 after I emailed to ask about it)

Shouldn't need to have sponsor views, it was fully a self funded internship. But at this point I don't know... it feels like anything can happen. I just wish they gave me an ETA so I can give my future H-1B employer an estimated start date.

49 minutes ago, qwopqwop said:

Application sent mid-Sept 2021

NOS sent early Oct 2021

NOS re-sent late Jan 2022 because it was missing (?)

All docs appear as received as of January 11 2022 (with the NOS backdated -- added to tracker on Mar 1 after I emailed to ask about it)

Shouldn't need to have sponsor views, it was fully a self funded internship. But at this point I don't know... it feels like anything can happen. I just wish they gave me an ETA so I can give my future H-1B employer an estimated start date.

Thanks for sharing. 

Several applicants whose file was complete (all docs, including NOS, marked as "received" on tracker) received FR in March. I hope you will receive yours too soon. Good luck!

1 hour ago, etcoflife said:

Some govt funded researcher who even replied in this thread got FR. There is a FB group of a Fulbrighter who got FR last year. Every case is different and it depends on the details. Yes its tough but not impossible.

Not through "no objection." the only viable path is the hardship/IGA waiver, and that has a lot of strings attached to it.

Edited by S9471

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.