17 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I hope that this is in the right place and that someone can shed some light on this for me...

So I'm currently waiting the dreaded 'case is ready to be scheduled for interview' wait in New York applying for my AOS. My British passport runs out next March, which I know is a while away but I know the passport needs to have 6 months left on it by the time interview comes around. I was looking into sending mine off and getting a new one but I read on the gov website you have to wait til your passport has 7 months left before you can apply.. SO my question is, if i wait until August to send off for my new passport and it can take several weeks to get it returned, what do I do on the off chance that an interview is scheduled for me and I don't have a passport? As the wait times are really long at the minute I know it's wishful thinking to assume I will get an interview even before christmas this year but just for peace of mind I wanted to know what would happen.

Also, I know that my police certificate and medical are only valid for a year so will I have to get a new police certificate if mine passes the year mark? Even though I haven't been back to the UK and if i do go back when I get my EAD it will only be for a week or so to see family.

Any help is appreciated, please be kind!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, BandBjourney said:

Hi there,

I hope that this is in the right place and that someone can shed some light on this for me...

So I'm currently waiting the dreaded 'case is ready to be scheduled for interview' wait in New York applying for my AOS. My British passport runs out next March, which I know is a while away but I know the passport needs to have 6 months left on it by the time interview comes around. I was looking into sending mine off and getting a new one but I read on the gov website you have to wait til your passport has 7 months left before you can apply.. SO my question is, if i wait until August to send off for my new passport and it can take several weeks to get it returned, what do I do on the off chance that an interview is scheduled for me and I don't have a passport? As the wait times are really long at the minute I know it's wishful thinking to assume I will get an interview even before christmas this year but just for peace of mind I wanted to know what would happen.

Also, I know that my police certificate and medical are only valid for a year so will I have to get a new police certificate if mine passes the year mark? Even though I haven't been back to the UK and if i do go back when I get my EAD it will only be for a week or so to see family.

You are mixing things up.

Your passport validity period of 6 months is for visa issuance and has nothing to do with AOS.  

The medical is based filing date not interview date.

No additional police certificate is needed

YMMV

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

You are mixing things up.

Your passport validity period of 6 months is for visa issuance and has nothing to do with AOS.  

No additional police certificate is needed

But even so, with the passport, I still need a new one before it runs out and can't apply for one until later in the year. What if my interview happens to be scheduled and I don't have a passport as I have sent it off..?

1 minute ago, BandBjourney said:

I was told elsewhere that I would need another medical if it expires. I got the medical a couple of months before applying for AOS. Are you saying that I will not need another one at all before interview?

Timeline
Just now, BandBjourney said:

I was told elsewhere that I would need another medical if it expires. I got the medical a couple of months before applying for AOS. Are you saying that I will not need another one at all before interview?

You were told wrong.  My wife's medical was 5 months old at filing and 14 months old at the interview.  

YMMV

You were told wrong.  My wife's medical was 5 months old at filing and 14 months old at the interview.  

Confused as to why I was told that but thank-you so much for clearing that up. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, BandBjourney said:

Confused as to why I was told that but thank-you so much for clearing that up. 

Did you complete your vaccinations before entering the USA?  

YMMV

5 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Did you complete your vaccinations before entering the USA?  

No, I had to have 1 vaccination when I got here, why do you ask?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, BandBjourney said:

No, I had to have 1 vaccination when I got here, why do you ask?

If your ds3025 was not marked complete then you will need to visit a civil surgeon to have the vaccinations section completed with the updatedinformation.   You don't need a new medical but just that section completed 

YMMV

If your ds3025 was not marked complete then you will need to visit a civil surgeon to have the vaccinations section completed with the updatedinformation.   You don't need a new medical but just that section completed 

So I had the vaccination done and the civil surgeon filled out the forms for me on the day and they were in a sealed envelope. I sent it all off to USCIS in November along with my AOS package. I'm guessing this is all ok then? No RFE as of yet and case is ready to be scheduled for interview

16 hours ago, BandBjourney said:

Hi there,

Hi,

I am from UK too and interviewed at NYC. My passport runs out this March 8th and my interview was last week and no issues with that. 

1 minute ago, Nicola and Jordan said:

I am from UK too and interviewed at NYC. My passport runs out this March 8th and my interview was last week and no issues with that.

Oh great, that's ok then :) thank-you! Are you sending yours off to renew soon? I'm worried about not having a passport for several weeks as ID.

I got a new passport while my AOS was pending, and my old passport would have been valid for another 2.5 years.   No issue at all.  

ROC: 

12/30/2019 package sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS 

12/31/2019 package arrived at Texas Lockbox 

01/02/2020 package signed for

01/04/2020 $680 charged on credit card

01/06/2020 text message and email with case number received

01/09/2020 extension letter received; notice date: 01/03/2020

02/22/2020 biometrics appointment letter received 

03/06/2020 biometrics appointment 

08/09/2021 I-751 approved

08/16/2021 Green Card received

Naturalization:

12/29/2020 application filed online and receipt number received 

01/04/2021 hard copy NOA1 received 

02/27/2021 electronic biometric reuse letter received

09/19/2021 interview scheduled - electronic notice received 

09/27/2021 hard copy interview notice received (issue date: 09/21/2021)

10/27/2021 interview (10.40am), approved

11/06/2021 oath ceremony (7.30am) 

I AM A U.S. CITIZEN!!!!! 

Passport:

11/08/2021 appointment at USPS (2.00pm)

11/16/2021 money order cashed, passport “in process” (locator 69)

12/02/2021 approved and shipped

12/04/2021 passport book delivered

12/13/2021 passport card and NC delivered 

1 hour ago, BandBjourney said:

Oh great, that's ok then :) thank-you! Are you sending yours off to renew soon? I'm worried about not having a passport for several weeks as ID.

I got an RFE after my interview so once that is resolved and I have my GC (hopefully lol) I will send it off. I am going to request the old one back but I will photocopy my K1 visa page inside just in case! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.