Sebastian97

L-1B visa after full-time, paid internship in Northern Ireland

8 posts in this topic

Hello guys!

I'm a Polish citizen who have been living in the UK for 4 years. 

I've completed one-year internship program (Cyber Security) last year (July 2019 - last month at work) within a huge US financial company with a branch in Northern Ireland.

After July 2019, I've moved back to England to finish my final year at university (bachelor's degree).

My employer will be getting back to me soon to offer me a job in Norther Ireland - just wanted to ask you if it would be reasonable to ask for an opportunity to work in Chicago / New York -> (L-1B visa). 

I have a lot of industry recognised certifications (Cyber Security) and very high results at university (Cyber Security degree)

Edited by Sebastian97

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If you do not ask how would you be able to get?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That is why Companies have  Immigration Lawyers.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

That is why Companies have  Immigration Lawyers.

And if it is a “huge financial company “ they presumably have a very competent legal team to ask. 

Filed: Timeline
15 hours ago, Sebastian97 said:

Hello guys!

I'm a Polish citizen who have been living in the UK for 4 years. 

I've completed one-year internship program (Cyber Security) last year (July 2019 - last month at work) within a huge US financial company with a branch in Northern Ireland.

After July 2019, I've moved back to England to finish my final year at university (bachelor's degree).

My employer will be getting back to me soon to offer me a job in Norther Ireland - just wanted to ask you if it would be reasonable to ask for an opportunity to work in Chicago / New York -> (L-1B visa). 

I have a lot of industry recognised certifications (Cyber Security) and very high results at university (Cyber Security degree)

Couple of questions:

• Were you actually employed by the company?  That is, were you on their payroll, with all the benefits others in a similar position received?  If not (as with many internships), you may not be considered as having met the employment requirement for an L1B visa.
  • Were you with the company for 12 full, continuous months, not just the school year?  That is also a requirement.
  • What specialized knowledge, in terms of this business's operations, do you have that would make you a better candidate for working in the US then someone already in the US who could be hired for cyber security?

If you don't meet some of the  requirements right now, why not work for the company in Northern Ireland for a year or so and then ask about possibly being transferred to the US?  They will know more about you as an employee and your skill set and whether it would match their needs in the US better.

Edited by jan22

Thank you guys!

@jan22

• Were you actually employed by the company?  That is, were you on their payroll, with all the benefits others in a similar position received?  If not (as with many internships), you may not be considered as having met the employment requirement for an L1B visa.
  • I was on their payroll, same healthcare programs, gym membership etc - only difference was that I couldn't take part in the employee stock purchase plan
  • Were you with the company for 12 full, continuous months, not just the school year?  That is also a requirement.
  • Yes, exactly between 05/07/19 - 07/07/20 minus 3 weeks of paid holidays
  • What specialized knowledge, in terms of this business's operations, do you have that would make you a better candidate for working in the US then someone already in the US who could be hired for cyber security?
  • I have a few strong arguments here which management will likely support

Edited by Sebastian97

From the HR, not Legal, perspective:  Be sure to understand your company policies as many have guidelines that FTE must be employed a certain period of time overall (eg, one of two years minimum) and/or a certain time in role before eligibility for international relo. Because of the costs involved, it is typically that you go if they need you there, not because you want to be in another location. You should identify openness to international relo on your talent card, and they take that into consideration (along with performance reviews, nine box, etc.) when proposing a new role or reacting to your application for a particular role.  Also check your payback commitment— as still relatively new employee (ie, just finishing internship), if you don’t like the company and want to leave, or if you are rock star and get recruited away, how much will your next employer need to cover in a signing bonus / how much would you be on the hook for out of pocket?  

Also I don’t recall which thread it was mentioned in recently but my (FTSE 100) company also uses Klasko for its US immigration work. Company legal does not get involved in the issues or advice on an individual employee level.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.