Pat1976

221g Administrative Processing - NO REASON GIVEN

18 posts in this topic

I had my interview the last week of January 2020. It went really well, the Consular Officer thanked me for being so well prepared, and said she is happy to issue this visa! All my paperwork was in order, she didn't even take any of the requested photocopies of documents, because she said they had copied of them already in my digital application. Told me I would receive my passport back within 2-3 weeks. About a week later I got my passport back, and inside was a 221g refusal slip, with no reasons listed other than, "Unfortunately, we need more time to process your case.We are returning your passport now for your use. We will ask you to send it back at the appropriate time. Thank you for your understanding."

Zero indication as to why this is happening. ANybody else ever have this happen post-interview? The CEAC website states that if they need to put you into AP, that it happens at the time of interview, and that the officer will tell you the reasons and what you need to do to fix it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks y'all!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well it happens, seems you are in Canada, AP covers many different issues. Returning the passport is not usual and suggests something that will not be resolved quickly.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So you were told at the interview that you were approved and also given the pink slip? Is this correct?

Removal of conditions

05-02-23 I-751 sent via FedEx.

05-03-23 I-751 delivered to USCIS address in Tempe AZ.

05-09-23 Check for $680 cashed.

05-15-23 Received I-797 NOA (48-month extension). A separate letter saying biometrics to be re-used. A third letter giving online access code.

On 1/31/2020 at 8:43 PM, FeelingYoung66 said:

So you were told at the interview that you were approved and also given the pink slip? Is this correct?

No, I was told I was approved, and that I would receive my passport and visa back in 2-3 weeks. Than I got my passport back with a refusal 221g in it instead of the visa stamp. I believe that my name came up as a similar match to someone in a database when they were running a final check in the Consular Lookup and Support System, that they run everyone through before issuing the visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

At this point I don't think you have any other choice but to relax as best you can and wait for their next communication. Maybe then they'll give you some clues as to what happened.

Removal of conditions

05-02-23 I-751 sent via FedEx.

05-03-23 I-751 delivered to USCIS address in Tempe AZ.

05-09-23 Check for $680 cashed.

05-15-23 Received I-797 NOA (48-month extension). A separate letter saying biometrics to be re-used. A third letter giving online access code.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Are you a Canadian citizen or were you born in another country? Have you had any travel to high fraud countries?

K1 (Canada to USA)

NOA1: 05/09/19

NOA2: 08/12/19

P3: 09/26/19

P4: 11/04/19

Medical: 12/19/19

Interview: 01/15/20

K1 in possession: 02/05/20

• First K1 issued: 01/17/20
  • First K1 sent back due to typo: 01/28/20
  • Final K1 issued: 02/03/20
  • Final K1 in possession: 02/05/20

Entered USA: 02/29/20

Married: 04/18/20

AOS Filed: 09/28/20

AOS NOA: 10/08/20

Biometrics: 07/14/21

AOS Interview: 08/30/21

AOS Approval: 09/03/21

GC Received: 09/11/21

ROC Filed: 06/23/23

ROC NOA: 06/30/23

On 2/4/2020 at 3:28 PM, Pat1976 said:

Yes to Canada. No to the travel part.

So you were born in Canada but is your family multi-generational Canadian? Is your family originally from a high fraud country like Pakistan or Nigeria etc? Do you have family members still in a high fraud area that you may share a name with?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

12 minutes ago, NikLR said:

So you were born in Canada but is your family multi-generational Canadian? Is your family originally from a high fraud country like Pakistan or Nigeria etc? Do you have family members still in a high fraud area that you may share a name with?

No I am as Canadian as it gets. I have since googled my name however, and found a few matches to some pretty bad humans in a few different states. Will keep everyone posted as it all unfolds, I spoke to a lawyer and he said almost certainly they have matched my name on a database somewhere, and they are just having to get it cleared before issuing the visa.

The consulate uses a system called CLaSS (Consular Lookup and Support System) in which they do a final search of your name before actually issuing the visa. It is essentially like a consular google, and it shoots your name out across all govt databases looking for any infractions or security alerts. Apparently it is more common that you would think to get a "hit", and when that happens they have to ask for an SAO (Security Advisory Opinion) which is basically a further background check, to make sure you are not the person that the search came up with. They are instructed to not tell you if your name came up with a "hit", and to just say you are in AP.

There could be some other stuff that might further need an SAO, such as the type of work you do, if your parents were in the military, or Police force, etc.

Anyways, fingers crossed for a fast process.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

In this moderen world, with all the moderen technology, how can US embassies justify to put files in AP for such a long time(in some cases, I have seen more than a year...terrible, unethical nd inhuman). How can they take such a long time to just check the background or any issue related to a person. It should be just one click away for them to check if there is any info in their system related to a particular person.

Even if the name matches... parents name would be different...siblings name would be different.. passport no would be different...the worst part is that people on many forums are suggesting each other that it is normal and asking to wait...how is this normal when u r making ur own citizen's life hell...they have to start their jobs, families etc etc....what type of background check takes so long...we just want to be with our families....and the main point is why dont US embassies make this DS 5535 questions(most of the questions are same as in the main application)  compulsary for every1 to submit in the starting of case so that the main file and the background checks can be processes parallel. By the time we get our interview date after 8-10 months, the background checks is already done by that time. Its very hard to stay away from ur partner or family.

Timeline

We have had many people post on here, particularly from India, who seem unable to obtain Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates etc etc, home can this be if it is just one click away?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Boiler...i am telling about the people who have all the documents complete in their case. At sydney consulate, Officer told me that he approved my case, everything seems good...no further document required....just sent me email after 3 hours(same questions like ds 5535 form but in generic form). I have not much travel history. Lived in India most of life(mostly studying) and living in Australia from last 4 years(mostly studying). 

Timeline

That is the AP process, comes after the Consulate Interview.

8 minutes ago, Boiler said:

That is the AP process, comes after the Consulate Interview.

Right but it's pretty rare to get your passport mailed to you and inside you find a 221g saying they can't approve you at this time and will let you know what documents to provide later. 

Surely you can understand how that's pretty disheartening for someone.

1 hour ago, canadavisa22 said:

Right but it's pretty rare to get your passport mailed to you and inside you find a 221g saying they can't approve you at this time and will let you know what documents to provide later. 

Surely you can understand how that's pretty disheartening for someone.

For Canada yes, for many other countries, it's common. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.