Chev9

What to expect at N-400 interview based on 5 years residency

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've been searching for interview experiences based on 5 years residency  and all of them seem to be people taking bout their experience at the 2 year interview based on marriage. 

Through a Wierd twist of events, my i-751 divorce waiver was approved today, and my N-400 interview based on 5 years of residency is next week.

We tried to get the ISO to adjudicate both today but he could not. 

The interview letter says to give 2 hours for the interview? Is that just an over estimate in regards to waiting time? 

I believe the 5 year requirement will not take my previous marriage into consideration at all, and will just be to verify my background check and that I answered the questions truthfully etc. All of which should be a formality as I literally just had my i751 approved today and passed all the checks etc. 

Just wondered if anyone had the 5 year interview for naturalization and how it went, what to expect other than the civics and english test? 

Also, I believe I just need to take in tax returns, my green card, drivers license, passport, birth certificate. I'm assuming i don't need my divorce decree or any other paperwork, again as this is only to verify 5 years residency, I've paid my taxes etc.

Any advice would be great, thanks! 

I applied based on  5 yr rule, divorced also, had interview in March last year, got RFE in April and still waiting.

Now this you said,I Thought the same but I was wrong. They go and check case from day 1. 

2 minutes ago, Chev9 said:

I believe the 5 year requirement will not take my previous marriage into consideration at all, and will just be to verify my background check and that I answered the questions truthfully etc. All of which should be a formality as I literally just had my i751 approved today and passed all the checks etc.

1 minute ago, spring333 said:

I applied based on  5 yr rule, divorced also, had interview in March last year, got RFE in April and still waiting.

Now this you said,I Thought the same but I was wrong. They go and check case from day 1. 

What was your RFE for? 

So you're saying I should go in expecting to re-do all the marriage based questions I just went through today and take my binder of marriage evidence? 

1 minute ago, Chev9 said:

What was your RFE for? 

So you're saying I should go in expecting to re-do all the marriage based questions I just went through today and take my binder of marriage evidence? 

My RFE was to provide my marriage was bonafide but for 2016 only (i got married 2012 and got second green card in 2015) so at first it was why do you even care for my marraige in 2016, I got GC in 2015 but thats what they wanted so I sent all I had/all they asked for. now, at my n400 interview they did not ask anything about marriage beside what date we got divorced. 

I would suggest to take a lawyer with yoiu just in case plus if you are in good terms with your ex, get a letter from him/her saying about your marriage. Notarized of course 

3 minutes ago, spring333 said:

My RFE was to provide my marriage was bonafide but for 2016 only (i got married 2012 and got second green card in 2015) so at first it was why do you even care for my marraige in 2016, I got GC in 2015 but thats what they wanted so I sent all I had/all they asked for. now, at my n400 interview they did not ask anything about marriage beside what date we got divorced. 

Ah ok. I checked your post history, it seems you got divorced after your 751 was approved which may have triggered another check, my situation is different. 

I was divorced and filed my 751 based on a divorce waiver. They've already reviewed my marriage up to the point of it's collapse and approved my 751 based on the divorce. There is no other documentation for the proceeding years. I guess it can't hurt to take my binder of evidence should they have questions to avoid an RFE

Edited by Chev9
Up

I got divorced 2 years after my 751 was approved, plus it was approved after we had an interview and got separated at the interview to answer same questions so it was proved right lol

anyway good luck !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
47 minutes ago, spring333 said:

I would suggest to take a lawyer with yoiu just in case plus if you are in good terms with your ex, get a letter from him/her saying about your marriage. Notarized of course 

You're become PLR through getting married with USC, so USCIS has the reason to ask for it just to see it's legit(even you're apply under 5 years rule).

5 minutes ago, H&T said:

You're become PLR through getting married with USC, so USCIS has the reason to ask for it just to see it's legit(even you're apply under 5 years rule).

Is this in reply to me or spring333? 

From what I read as my i751 divorce waiver was reviewed and approved today based on divorce, there's no further evidence for them to inspect. 

My attorney said I don't need to take my binder of marriage evidence to the N-400 interview, but from these responses I'm now wondering if I should?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Chev9 said:

Is this in reply to me or spring333? 

From what I read as my i751 divorce waiver was reviewed and approved today based on divorce, there's no further evidence for them to inspect. 

My attorney said I don't need to take my binder of marriage evidence to the N-400 interview, but from these responses I'm now wondering if I should?

Not you. Since your I-751 was approved with divorce waiver, and USCIS already have the evidence. However, there will be no surprise if they asking again some basic question about that marriage. Don't stress out , the interview actually pretty easy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I applied for the ROC with a divorce waiver and took some marriage evidence with me just in case but didn't need it. Interviewer asked if I was still married to the original petitioner, I said no, he moved on with the interview with other questions. I was there for over two hours, though.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.