EllaC

Income Tax Returns/Tax Transcripts

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Good morning, everyone!

I have a question about tax returns for the K-1 visa interview. I was married previously and got divorced in 2019, which is also when I met my fiance. I do not have my tax returns as my ex used to handle that, we had filed jointly.

I am still waiting on the NOA2, so by the time we get to the interview, I may have already filed for 2019 on my own. But I do know that some people suggest we need the last 3 years of tax returns. Both me and my fiance also have savings and I, of course, have a full time job with a steady income which, thank God, I've had for over 5 years now. Is it ok for me to provide the previous tax returns even when they are filed jointly with my ex? I would request the transcripts online from IRS, but they do not actually have much info on there, it is all cut off or sensitive info is replaced by ***, it is not showing my individual income versus my ex.

I was thinking to include 2018 and 2017 tax transcripts AND my most recent that I would file as soon as possible after getting my W-2. Would that be ok though? I would then also have my savings statement, previous W-2s, my pay stubs, letter from employer along with the I-134.

Thank you so much!

Ella

27 NOV 2019 - I-129F mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox

02 DEC 2019 - NOA1

23 MAR 2020 - NOA2

7 minutes ago, EllaC said:

I would request the transcripts online from IRS, but they do not actually have much info on there, it is all cut off or sensitive info is replaced by ***, it is not showing my individual income versus my ex

If you can, get the W2s from 2017 and 2018. That will show your own income from those years, not combined with your ex. Talk to HR or Payroll, they should be able to get you those. 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

If you can, get the W2s from 2017 and 2018. That will show your own income from those years, not combined with your ex. Talk to HR or Payroll, they should be able to get you those. 

Fantastic, I will definitely have those ready. I think I even came across those in my payroll account. Thank you so much for your help!

02 DEC 2019 - NOA1

23 MAR 2020 - NOA2

Timeline
19 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

I just took a look and the W-2 for 2019 still says married. But I did change my status in the beginning of January and HR updated my withholding accordingly. Does that matter in any way, shape or form? Or do I just need the W-2s to show my income basically? 🙂

02 DEC 2019 - NOA1

23 MAR 2020 - NOA2

1 minute ago, EllaC said:

I just took a look and the W-2 for 2019 still says married. But I did change my status in the beginning of January and HR updated my withholding accordingly. Does that matter in any way, shape or form? Or do I just need the W-2s to show my income basically? 🙂

I don't think it matter. And you were married in 2019, up until your divorce was finalized. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

I don't think it matter. And you were married in 2019, up until your divorce was finalized. 

Correct, my divorce decree came late in 2019, before we filed for K-1, obviously...

02 DEC 2019 - NOA1

23 MAR 2020 - NOA2

Timeline

I've provided USCIS as well as the Consulate in Naples with tax return that I filed jointly with an ex-spouse in 2016 and 2017 and they never questioned it or raised any issue about it at all. 

Edited by qrk

Timeline
On 1/17/2020 at 2:08 PM, qrk said:

I've provided USCIS as well as the Consulate in Naples with tax return that I filed jointly with an ex-spouse in 2016 and 2017 and they never questioned it or raised any issue about it at all. 

Wonderful! Thank you so much! 🙂

02 DEC 2019 - NOA1

23 MAR 2020 - NOA2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.