7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello Everyone, I’ll try to be ”brief”. ...I ( USC) am wondering how to handle changing the Affidavit of Support for our upcoming I-485 interview. We got married in November, 2019. And filed I-485+I-864 the following week. I completed the Affidavit of Support with documentation from my job where I had been with for 2 years. ...I started another full-time job in September 2019 to help with wedding expenses, but I didn’t include that on the I-485 because I didn’t know if I would stay there. TWIST: In Mid-November, the week after filing I-485+I-864, I quit the job I’ve had for 2 years and am happily working full-time with my new employer that I started with in September 2019. ...How do I handle this with my local field office? ...I didn’t include that new source of income on the I-864 because I had just started and didn’t know that I would stay. There are no gaps in pay. ...The new job also pays less than the previous one, but still well above the poverty line. ...(It also doesn’t help that the last paystubs on my old job revealed a higher income than I reported on the I-485 because they promoted me shortly before I quit, I have 2 Employment Verification letters with the SAME date from the old job for both salaries, I filed the lesser one that I thought was “current”. ...I got married and filed Adjustment of Status during the middle of a promotion, with an employer that I resigned from right after the raise. Of course, unbeknownst to me, they made the effective date of the raise 2 weeks before I filed, but I didn’t have that paystub yet when I filed). In Summary: ...I didn’t think the interview would come so fast, it’s February 19th, 2020. ...Not sure how to explain all the recent changes in circumstances. No gaps in pay though, no gaps in my Heath insurance, my husband’s health insurance with the NEW job started coverage in December. ...The new job is in the same field as the old one, but a higher position in my field. New job currently pays $23K less than my previous “promoted” salary, but please no judgment, it was worth it to leave. Can’t put a price on my sanity.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Emmandis said:

Hello Everyone, I’ll try to be ”brief”. ...I ( USC) am wondering how to handle changing the Affidavit of Support for our upcoming I-485 interview. We got married in November, 2019. And filed I-485+I-864 the following week. I completed the Affidavit of Support with documentation from my job where I had been with for 2 years. ...I started another full-time job in September 2019 to help with wedding expenses, but I didn’t include that on the I-485 because I didn’t know if I would stay there. TWIST: In Mid-November, the week after filing I-485+I-864, I quit the job I’ve had for 2 years and am happily working full-time with my new employer that I started with in September 2019. ...How do I handle this with my local field office? ...I didn’t include that new source of income on the I-864 because I had just started and didn’t know that I would stay. There are no gaps in pay. ...The new job also pays less than the previous one, but still well above the poverty line. ...(It also doesn’t help that the last paystubs on my old job revealed a higher income than I reported on the I-485 because they promoted me shortly before I quit, I have 2 Employment Verification letters with the SAME date from the old job for both salaries, I filed the lesser one that I thought was “current”. ...I got married and filed Adjustment of Status during the middle of a promotion, with an employer that I resigned from right after the raise. Of course, unbeknownst to me, they made the effective date of the raise 2 weeks before I filed, but I didn’t have that paystub yet when I filed). In Summary: ...I didn’t think the interview would come so fast, it’s February 19th, 2020. ...Not sure how to explain all the recent changes in circumstances. No gaps in pay though, no gaps in my Heath insurance, my husband’s health insurance with the NEW job started coverage in December. ...The new job is in the same field as the old one, but a higher position in my field. New job currently pays $23K less than my previous “promoted” salary, but please no judgment, it was worth it to leave. Can’t put a price on my sanity.

Just take an updated Affidavit of Support to the interview.

29 minutes ago, Emmandis said:

Not sure how to explain all the recent changes in circumstances.

What do you mean not sure how to explain. You just wrote two pages to explain. Just tell them the same thing, which is truth. They understand circumstances can change between the time you submit the paper and the time of the interview (job change such as yours, people have babies that change their household size, get fired, independents can die, .... ). You are allowed to have changed job. What I would do is fill in another I-864 with the most accurate information as of the day of the interview and take it with you. Just tell the officer "I have a new I-864 with new information, please use this one". 

People circumstances can change and do change, a lot.

Timeline
2 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

What do you mean not sure how to explain. You just wrote two pages to explain. Just tell them the same thing, which is truth. They understand circumstances can change between the time you submit the paper and the time of the interview (job change such as yours, people have babies that change their household size, get fired, independents can die, .... ). You are allowed to have changed job. What I would do is fill in another I-864 with the most accurate information as of the day of the interview and take it with you. Just tell the officer "I have a new I-864 with new information, please use this one". 

People circumstances can change and do change, a lot.

Thanks for simplifying it! I was overthinking it. Feeling a little bombarded because in general, we don’t have as much “supporting evidence” to take to the interview as we intended. I thought there would be more time...

Timeline
2 hours ago, Ayrton said:

Just take an updated Affidavit of Support to the interview.

Should I get the Employment Verification now or wait until closer to interview date? 30 days should be fine, I think.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, Emmandis said:

Should I get the Employment Verification now or wait until closer to interview date? 30 days should be fine, I think.

The closest to the interview the better.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.