flea89

Please share your 221 G experience

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello all, I'm at the NVC stage now and preparing for the interview. I wanted to start a topic for myself and others who will be going through the HCM consulate as it pertains to receiving a 221 G. I'm asking for anyone who has had this happen to please share your experience of what the 221 G was for and how you overcame it. For example I've seen a lot of people get one after their interviews requesting a family tree. Now having that info we can already have prepared a family tree in advance. Thank you guys for help.

Timeline

We got the 221G blue sheet on the day of our interview for the K1 Visa

1. Beneficiary and petitioner ex-spouse
  2. Petitioner detail timeline with a sign statement of the person who introduce you and how they know the petitioner and beneficiary
  3. Petitioner family tree
  4. Beneficiary family tree
  5. Every relative of the beneficiary in the USA plus include a utility bill or driver license to show that they live at the address.
  6. Petitioner and Beneficiary current address, e-mail, phone number.
  7. There was a line saying that they didn't believe we were a bona-find relationship to add any other proof we could.
  8. They wanted credit card statement for payment for airline. Not Expedia receipt/itinerary from travel agency. 

1. We had to write a sign statement because they didn't believe we were never married

2. I had to timeline I was introduce to her, how did I communicate with her, who introduce her to me, how many trips I made to her, how many times I saw her in person. What did we do together when I visited. (This came out to become 9 pages. I couldn't remember every little detail so I just wrote as much as I could remember for the visit). I had to called my friend to write a sign statement how he knows the petitioner. How he know the beneficiary. How he introduce her to petitioner. Then scan the copy of the letter to me so I can print it in Vietnam.

3. I had to get my family to pull all this information for me back home while I was still with her. 

4. Get her family to send all the information to her. Full Name, Place of Birth, Birthdate, Relationship to beneficiary. If we couldn't get information on someone we wrote a sign statement saying why or lost contact. Even some of her family member don't have a birthdate other than year. So we put it as ??/??/1965

5. I had to get my friend to get his whole family driver license, Place of Birth, Birthdate, Relationship to beneficiary, Full Vietnamese name including if they use English name.

6. Was very easy done.

7. We printed out all the photo we could. We printed approximately 160 photos include any screen shot of us video chatting. My fiancee said they never look at the back of the photo where I put detail information on the back of the photo on the first interview. So before the resubmission we put a sticker in the front and label it. IE. First Visit, Date and Time, Location/address, Names of who were in the picture, 2nd Visit, 3rd Visit, Etc. We printed out a lot of chat logs which was about 4-5" thick from the time we first talk to the current date. We separate chat logs by before and after engagement. Screen shots of video/call logs. 

8. I just had to print out credit card statement for airline. Highlighted line item and label the paper with a sticky note to say which visit it was.

The longest part of the 221G to do was number 2 and number 7. Trying to remember thing from up to 2 years ago for us. Trying to remember what we did everyday. I had 4 visit, 9 days, 5 days, 15 days, and the 4th time was my time being currently there. So even with the timeline I wrote what we did until the date I printed and sign the statement.

The other long part was trying to remember the location of the picture. Writing everything on a sticker to place on front of the picture. To make it easier for the consulate people to process it. We label every section of the 221G with arrow sticky so they can find thing faster.

I thought you only need 4-5 photo per trip but they wanted more. I accidentally double printed the photo didn't notice it before the interview. Once she told them her cousin introduce me to her. Who is also my friend for over 20 years. We even talk to someone over there who works on cases over there near the Consulate. Even the person we talk to say they red-flag us because said someone introduce us versus saying you meet on Facebook or dating website. They were trying to charge us $500 USD to help us do the 221G blue sheet but we didn't use them.

I was suppose to be there only for the interview for one week. Since I got the 221G blue sheet I request more time off just to deal with it. Be there for the second interview/221G resubmission. The only appointment for the afternoon interview was 12 days out from 01/02/2020. It took us about a 7-8 days to finish it all.

On the second interview for resubmission of evidence. We gave them everything we could give them. Even if I could give them the kitchen sink I would of. Once we got our number we waited to be called to the window 2-5 to submit our evidence. Then we had to wait near window 14-17 for our number to be called again to see if they approved the visa or not. We waited about a 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours then we were call up. They didn't ask us any questions at all. They just gave us back all the evidence except for the timeline, petitioner family tree, beneficiary family tree. Consulate took the passport from her.

My advice is to be detail as possible and provide as much evidence you can to not get the 221G. 

Edited by p.dang

Timeline

Thank you so much. I cannot express how much I appreciate you taking the time out to respond. I will make sure to include everything that you have listed

On 1/17/2020 at 6:27 AM, p.dang said:

We got the 221G blue sheet on the day of our interview for the K1 Visa

1. Beneficiary and petitioner ex-spouse
  2. Petitioner detail timeline with a sign statement of the person who introduce you and how they know the petitioner and beneficiary
  3. Petitioner family tree
  4. Beneficiary family tree
  5. Every relative of the beneficiary in the USA plus include a utility bill or driver license to show that they live at the address.
  6. Petitioner and Beneficiary current address, e-mail, phone number.
  7. There was a line saying that they didn't believe we were a bona-find relationship to add any other proof we could.
  8. They wanted credit card statement for payment for airline. Not Expedia receipt/itinerary from travel agency. 

1. We had to write a sign statement because they didn't believe we were never married

2. I had to timeline I was introduce to her, how did I communicate with her, who introduce her to me, how many trips I made to her, how many times I saw her in person. What did we do together when I visited. (This came out to become 9 pages. I couldn't remember every little detail so I just wrote as much as I could remember for the visit). I had to called my friend to write a sign statement how he knows the petitioner. How he know the beneficiary. How he introduce her to petitioner. Then scan the copy of the letter to me so I can print it in Vietnam.

3. I had to get my family to pull all this information for me back home while I was still with her. 

4. Get her family to send all the information to her. Full Name, Place of Birth, Birthdate, Relationship to beneficiary. If we couldn't get information on someone we wrote a sign statement saying why or lost contact. Even some of her family member don't have a birthdate other than year. So we put it as ??/??/1965

5. I had to get my friend to get his whole family driver license, Place of Birth, Birthdate, Relationship to beneficiary, Full Vietnamese name including if they use English name.

6. Was very easy done.

7. We printed out all the photo we could. We printed approximately 160 photos include any screen shot of us video chatting. My fiancee said they never look at the back of the photo where I put detail information on the back of the photo on the first interview. So before the resubmission we put a sticker in the front and label it. IE. First Visit, Date and Time, Location/address, Names of who were in the picture, 2nd Visit, 3rd Visit, Etc. We printed out a lot of chat logs which was about 4-5" thick from the time we first talk to the current date. We separate chat logs by before and after engagement. Screen shots of video/call logs. 

8. I just had to print out credit card statement for airline. Highlighted line item and label the paper with a sticky note to say which visit it was.

The longest part of the 221G to do was number 2 and number 7. Trying to remember thing from up to 2 years ago for us. Trying to remember what we did everyday. I had 4 visit, 9 days, 5 days, 15 days, and the 4th time was my time being currently there. So even with the timeline I wrote what we did until the date I printed and sign the statement.

The other long part was trying to remember the location of the picture. Writing everything on a sticker to place on front of the picture. To make it easier for the consulate people to process it. We label every section of the 221G with arrow sticky so they can find thing faster.

I thought you only need 4-5 photo per trip but they wanted more. I accidentally double printed the photo didn't notice it before the interview. Once she told them her cousin introduce me to her. Who is also my friend for over 20 years. We even talk to someone over there who works on cases over there near the Consulate. Even the person we talk to say they red-flag us because said someone introduce us versus saying you meet on Facebook or dating website. They were trying to charge us $500 USD to help us do the 221G blue sheet but we didn't use them.

I was suppose to be there only for the interview for one week. Since I got the 221G blue sheet I request more time off just to deal with it. Be there for the second interview/221G resubmission. The only appointment for the afternoon interview was 12 days out from 01/02/2020. It took us about a 7-8 days to finish it all.

On the second interview for resubmission of evidence. We gave them everything we could give them. Even if I could give them the kitchen sink I would of. Once we got our number we waited to be called to the window 2-5 to submit our evidence. Then we had to wait near window 14-17 for our number to be called again to see if they approved the visa or not. We waited about a 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours then we were call up. They didn't ask us any questions at all. They just gave us back all the evidence except for the timeline, petitioner family tree, beneficiary family tree. Consulate took the passport from her.

My advice is to be detail as possible and provide as much evidence you can to not get the 221G. 

City: Nittany Lion Country Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm going to forward that post to my fiance.  She pretty much knows this but reading it from someone who just went through it should reinforce the need for her to fill out the paperwork.

• 9 months later...
Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

P.Dang, did you have to submit original docs? Like when the petitioner signs the family tree, should it be original or can we just scan and send to the beneficiary in Vietnam?  Thanks so much!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
17 hours ago, Justin & Nhi said:

Hello, 

We are preparing for interview on 11/16 as well. Could you expand on questions 3/4/5? Seems like those might be targeted at couples of Vietnamese descent.. perhaps looking to make sure they're not bringing their family member over under marriage visa?

It has more to do with the immigration fraud case in Houston Texas a couple of years ago. 94 Vietnamese people were arrested. I have not heard the results of the case yet

Good luck with your upcoming interview!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.