Alexus_f

Birth Certificate rejected by NVC

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

My wife's birth certificate was just rejected by NVC asking for the certified English translation. However, the birth certificate is in two languages: English and native language. Has anyone encountered this kind of issue? What do you do in this case? Translate the document from English to English? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

It’s a certified copy with both languages on it already? Maybe it’s a mistake, try to call them and see why they may have rejected it 

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Timeline
23 minutes ago, LilyJ said:

It’s a certified copy with both languages on it already? Maybe it’s a mistake, try to call them and see why they may have rejected it 

Yep. It is the copy of the original document which with both languages. I thought so too and already talked to them but they insist I obtain certified English to English translation that is certified.  

Why do we even need to translate if document has either English or official language of the country where spouse will interview on?

Did I miss anything on this quote from travel gov website “All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which you are applying for a visa, must be accompanied by certified translations“

Edited by trucphong

Timeline
27 minutes ago, trucphong said:

Why do we even need to translate if document has either English or official language of the country where spouse will interview on?

Did I miss anything on this quote from travel gov website “All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which you are applying for a visa, must be accompanied by certified translations“

That was my exact argument and I even quoted this sentence from the website word to word. They are still insisting on translation. I can provide them the translation I just hate the fact I will have to wait for another up to two month for them to review it. 

10 minutes ago, Alexus_f said:

That was my exact argument and I even quoted this sentence from the website word to word. They are still insisting on translation. I can provide them the translation I just hate the fact I will have to wait for another up to two month for them to review it. 

Now I am worried now because i did not translate by following their instruction.

Timeline
1 minute ago, trucphong said:

Now I am worried now because i did not translate by following their instruction.

Might not be the case for you. I am thinking the person who reviewed the documents made a mistake.  Now, NVC does not want to admit the mistake and insisting on the translation. 

Just now, Alexus_f said:

Might not be the case for you. I am thinking the person who reviewed the documents made a mistake.  Now, NVC does not want to admit the mistake and insisting on the translation. 

I did not translate any document that is in my official language. I would prefer to talk to supervisor on this. This makes nonsense if their instruction says one thing and they review them in different ways. This is BS to delay process.

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2020 at 3:47 PM, Alexus_f said:

Hi Everyone,

My wife's birth certificate was just rejected by NVC asking for the certified English translation. However, the birth certificate is in two languages: English and native language. Has anyone encountered this kind of issue? What do you do in this case? Translate the document from English to English? 

That’s weird because my husband didn’t submit a translation of his and his original birth certificate had both the english translation with native language which is the only one he submitted and they accepted it! 

I came across a similar story in another forum. The foreign spouse's birth certificate was officially issued in two languages (native language and English), and uscis still asked for a certified English translation of it. So it sounds like a crapshoot. Some bilingual birth certificates got through and some didn't. For others who are still contemplating on what to do, I'd suggest including a certified English translation from the get go if you want to err on the safe side and avoid any potential delay that this confusion may cause.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.