Neide

Help. They don't want to provide police reports.

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

What to do when the police department does not want to make police reports available, has been difficult to get others and they have not given certified copies, only made a statement stating that my fiance has requested the police reports in Salem police department. But two reports were missing, they reported that these two reports could not be made available. One of these reports is the most important because it was the report of domestic violence made by his ex wife.

The records are not sealed, or extinct, they just inform that they cannot make available

Anyone here from Boston MA, who knows another way to do this?

Or even if it's not from Boston MA, could it give us any Light?

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

officers have to give each report a number/  you will need that number to request a copy of the report but the following applies for any that are under investigation

https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/investigation-traffic/records

Please be advised that police investigative and intelligence records are not generally considered public records under Maine law, and the release of such records is restricted under Title 16, chapter 9 of the Maine Revised Statutes Annotated.

Below you will find a link to the application form for requesting an investigative record, as well as the fee structure for the release of reports. Please be advised that if you request, and are entitled to, multimedia files that are graphic in nature, you may also be required to sign an additional release acknowledging your understanding of the nature of the item(s) requested.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 hours ago, Neide said:

What to do when the police department does not want to make police reports available, has been difficult to get others and they have not given certified copies, only made a statement stating that my fiance has requested the police reports in Salem police department. But two reports were missing, they reported that these two reports could not be made available. One of these reports is the most important because it was the report of domestic violence made by his ex wife.

The records are not sealed, or extinct, they just inform that they cannot make available

Anyone here from Boston MA, who knows another way to do this?

Or even if it's not from Boston MA, could it give us any Light?

Thanks

Hello.  I'm from Lynn, MA and the same thing happened to me in Lynn District Court.  My lawyer placed a call to the Police dept and the court house and after that I was able to obtain certified copies of the report.   Did you speak to the city clerk of Salem Court house?

event.png

Timeline
1 hora atrás, ChristineA disse:

Olá. Eu sou de Lynn, MA, e o mesmo aconteceu comigo no Tribunal Distrital de Lynn. Meu advogado ligou para o departamento de polícia e o tribunal e depois disso obteve registros autenticados do relatório. Você falou com o secretário da cidade de Salem Court Court?

no yet, i'm going to show this to my fiance, his ex will try to get him a criminal record, they said only she can, i was outraged, but that's fine.  The desire I have is to give up this is making me sick.  thanks for answering.  my fiance is from Lynn too

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Neide said:

no yet, i'm going to show this to my fiance, his ex will try to get him a criminal record, they said only she can, i was outraged, but that's fine.  The desire I have is to give up this is making me sick.  thanks for answering.  my fiance is from Lynn too

Did your boyfriend try to get a record/ letter from the court that has jurisdiction over his case? Get whatever you can from the court. A certified letter stating the arrest, charges, disposition of the case if any. Also, attach the police letter stating that they are unable to issue any document, and file it with your petition. This should be sufficient. It will either go through, or they might issue an RFE, then respond to the RFE appropriately/ accordingly. 

In my case the police department ran a background check on me and nothing came up. Even though that department has me arrested, however, my case was sealed by the court. Nonetheless, I added the police document to the petition so they have it. 

Timeline
7 hours ago, Rob Beri said:

Did your boyfriend try to get a record/ letter from the court that has jurisdiction over his case? Get whatever you can from the court. A certified letter stating the arrest, charges, disposition of the case if any. Also, attach the police letter stating that they are unable to issue any document, and file it with your petition. This should be sufficient. It will either go through, or they might issue an RFE, then respond to the RFE appropriately/ accordingly. 

In my case the police department ran a background check on me and nothing came up. Even though that department has me arrested, however, my case was sealed by the court. Nonetheless, I added the police document to the petition so they have it. 

He said he has returned to the Salem court where the 2013 DV appears, and that the woman said she will make a statement, I told him it must be from both the Salem police and court department which are two different things.  His ex said she will try to get it for him later this week too.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.