cbr900rr1_kicks

Mother and Father Visa from Ukraine to USA

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

They can apply for B or tourist visas. You would write an invitation to the US Consul in Ukraine inviting them to the US.

They can apply for tourist visas, after which they will be invited to an interview. At last that's how it works in Russia.

February 3, 2005. Applied for K-1.

July 14, 2005. Email to NVC congressional unit

Nov 2, 2005. Letter to congressman

Nov 8, 2005. Letter from congressman

December 19, 2005. Visa interview in Moscow. (250 days at NVC)

January 27, 2006. POE: JFK.

April 8, 2006. Wedding in USA.

April 19, 2006. Apply for AOS.

July 12, 2006. AOS Interview.

February 26, 2008. Letter to congresswoman.

March 19, 2008. Conditional Permanent residence began!!

2009: Wake up and get on the uscis train again - lifting conditions

Dec 21, 2009. Eligible to apply to remove conditions

February 2010: 10-yr Green Card Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

They would apply for a tourist visa just like anyone else. The letter of invitation might help but it's not a guarrantee.

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You can't affect the issuance of a tourist visa in any way, unfortunately. All her parents need to do is apply for B-2 visas at the U.S. Embassy in Ukraine. You (or your wife) can write an informal letter inviting her parents for a visit. It's better to write it in Ukrainian. Other than that - there's nothing you can do.

Best of luck! :)

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
You can't affect the issuance of a tourist visa in any way, unfortunately. All her parents need to do is apply for B-2 visas at the U.S. Embassy in Ukraine. You (or your wife) can write an informal letter inviting her parents for a visit. It's better to write it in Ukrainian. Other than that - there's nothing you can do.

I know several couples from Ukraine whose parents have successfully acquired tourist visas. One thing that I have noticed is that on all cases (without exception) is that only one parent travels at a time. I have never thought to ask why this is......

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: Timeline

I know several couples from Ukraine whose parents have successfully acquired tourist visas. One thing that I have noticed is that on all cases (without exception) is that only one parent travels at a time. I have never thought to ask why this is......

Yes, I heard this also, that only one can travel at a time. I heard it was because they are afraid the couple (parents) would immigrate illegally to the USA. In the case only one is issued a visa at a time, then it is almost guaranteed they will return to the Ukraine. I did hear from a good source, that it is "possible" for both parents to receive visas at the same time, but it is difficult. They recommended I go to the interview with them in Kiev, but I don't know if this will work.. Guess I'll have to wait and see..

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yes, I heard this also, that only one can travel at a time. I heard it was because they are afraid the couple (parents) would immigrate illegally to the USA. In the case only one is issued a visa at a time, then it is almost guaranteed they will return to the Ukraine. I did hear from a good source, that it is "possible" for both parents to receive visas at the same time, but it is difficult. They recommended I go to the interview with them in Kiev, but I don't know if this will work.. Guess I'll have to wait and see..

Both of my wife's parents visited us to attend our wedding here in the States (stayed a total of about 2 weeks)...as well as her sister. But then, they are fairly well off and so were able to show substantial ties to Ukraine. Your mileage may vary.

Kseniya (Ukraine) and Gary (USA)

05-27-2005 I-129F package arrives at TSC signed for by "M.S."

...A bunch of waiting and worrying...

10-14-2005 Passport with K-1 Visa delivered

02-14-2006 Everyone is home!

03-04-2006 Wedding date!

07-25-2006 AOS/AP package FINALLY completed and sent

08-04-2006 AOS/AP NOA's received

11-06-2006 Interview Successful!

11-13-2006 Welcome to America letter received

Timeline
Does anyone have an idea of the processing time for a B2 visa at the Ukraine US Embassy ?

If I remember correctly it took about 3 weeks or so from application to interview for my wife's parents.

03-04-2006 Wedding date!

Filed: Timeline
Does anyone have an idea of the processing time for a B2 visa at the Ukraine US Embassy ?

If I remember correctly it took about 3 weeks or so from application to interview for my wife's parents.

Thanks for the good info. I understand. Grandma is sick now and so Father will stay in Ukraine to help her. Only Mother will make the trip this time, so we won't need to receive both visas. Mother needs a new passport though and she said that Ukraine is not issuing passports right now (I guess they ran out or something.... she said it is a big problem...) Anyone ever heard of this problem ?

:thumbs:

Timeline

Thanks for the good info. I understand. Grandma is sick now and so Father will stay in Ukraine to help her. Only Mother will make the trip this time, so we won't need to receive both visas. Mother needs a new passport though and she said that Ukraine is not issuing passports right now (I guess they ran out or something.... she said it is a big problem...) Anyone ever heard of this problem ?

:thumbs:

Yeah, the passport issue has been a chronic one for a while in Ukraine. My wife's dad had the same issue...we had to delay the b-2 application for about 2 months while he waited for his international passport to be issued. Which, is not all that bad when you look at the backlog here in the U.S. currently ;)

03-04-2006 Wedding date!

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You have to invite them with notarized letter, get a Congressman's letter or support from your state and get a Tourist Visa for them. The reason why they usually only allow one parent at a time to come visit the USA and make the other stay behind is because USCIS and embassy officials know that the chances of them staying in the USA and not going back are very high if they are both allowed to travel to the USA at the same time, thus they normally allow one to visit while making the other stay behind. In our case for our wedding we were allowed to have both parents from Ukraine come together at same time and visit USA for several months. But as FWA Guy notes, normally they only allow one or turn down both most of time, very rarely do they allow both at same time. We got lucky. Now they both have 5 year tourist visas to come visit the USA at will.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.