darth vader

Proof of co-habitation (merged)

14 posts in this topic

I live in Ontario. My spouse & I signed a joined lease with an apartment building (owned by a firm headquartered in another city). The original lease period was 1 year. At the completion of 1 year lease, I approached the manager and asked to renew the lease. I was told there is no need since if you still occupy the apartment after the lease completion the lease rolls on to a month-to-month basis. I checked the original lease and it indeed was a clause in there.

Now, we have been living here for 3 years. I recently approached the landlord to please write me a letter confirming that I have been living here since 2017, and to mention that the original lease was extended on monthly basis as per clause X of the original lease. They refused to provide such a letter. The only thing they are providing is a printed rent statement with printed signature showing rent payments for all the months we have been living here.

Do I need a more formal looking document to prove my residency for immigration purposes? Would they like to see signed leases or singed and dated documents or is the printed rent receipts enough? I have tried pleading with the building management but they would not cooperate.

I even put together a letter for them, but they wont sign it. Any help would be great!

Edited by darth vader

9 minutes ago, darth vader said:

I live in Ontario. My spouse & I signed a joined lease with an apartment building (owned by a firm headquartered in another city). The original lease period was 1 year. At the completion of 1 year lease, I approached the manager and asked to renew the lease. I was told there is no need since if you still occupy the apartment after the lease completion the lease rolls on to a month-to-month basis. I checked the original lease and it indeed was a clause in there.

Now, we have been living here for 3 years. I recently approached the landlord to please write me a letter confirming that I have been living here since 2017, and to mention that the original lease was extended on monthly basis as per clause X of the original lease. They refused to provide such a letter. The only thing they are providing is a printed rent statement with printed signature showing rent payments for all the months we have been living here.

Do I need a more formal looking document to prove my residency for immigration purposes? Would they like to see signed leases or singed and dated documents or is the printed rent receipts enough? I have tried pleading with the building management but they would not cooperate.

I even put together a letter for them, but they wont sign it. Any help would be great!

Utilities, governmental mail (CRA, IRCC, etc.), bank and credit card statements , W4s, showing your address. Just bring the lease as is and demonstrate you still reside there with other documents.  I would be surprised if Montreal asked for any of that.

They'll be more stringent on how your spouse will establish domicile in the US. 

5 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Utilities, governmental mail (CRA, IRCC, etc.), bank and credit card statements , W4s, showing your address. Just bring the lease as is and demonstrate you still reside there with other documents.  I would be surprised if Montreal asked for any of that.

They'll be more stringent on how your spouse will establish domicile in the US. 

We do have tonnes of mail at the address for both my spouse & I including joint bills for utilities.

Montreal is pretty lackadaisical for marriage evidence.  If they look at anything you bring that'll be surprising. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Related threads merged. Please keep all related questions to one thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• Ontarkie changed the title to Proof of co-habitation (merged)

Thanks for merging, @Ontarkie. Does anyone know if it's OK to highlight (with a highlighter) the address mentioned in the letters/mail received that we send to USCIS as proof of co-habitation?

Also, should we send some copies of envelopes with letter/mail inside with address and stamp visible?

On 11/26/2019 at 6:01 PM, darth vader said:

Thanks for merging, @Ontarkie. Does anyone know if it's OK to highlight (with a highlighter) the address mentioned in the letters/mail received that we send to USCIS as proof of co-habitation?

Also, should we send some copies of envelopes with letter/mail inside with address and stamp visible?

Again, they don't really care but a copy of a driver's license from both of you is probably enough.  You don't need mail addressed to both of you but if you want to then do. 

Montreal RARELY looks at relationship evidence. If it wasn't sent to the USCIS or NVC, unless you literally push it on them, the chances of them asking is pretty much nil. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

1 hour ago, NikLR said:

Again, they don't really care but a copy of a driver's license from both of you is probably enough.  You don't need mail addressed to both of you but if you want to then do. 

Montreal RARELY looks at relationship evidence. If it wasn't sent to the USCIS or NVC, unless you literally push it on them, the chances of them asking is pretty much nil. 

Thanks. I was thinking from perspective of USCIS adjudicator. We are not worried about NVC + Visa part of it at all. In all likelyhood we'll probably end up interviewing in Mumbai again since it seems to be faster than Montreal in terms of giving out interview dates.

I guess I am just worried about USCIS messing up our application somehow.

Edited by darth vader

59 minutes ago, darth vader said:

Thanks. I was thinking from perspective of USCIS adjudicator. We are not worried about NVC + Visa part of it at all. In all likelyhood we'll probably end up interviewing in Mumbai again since it seems to be faster than Montreal in terms of giving out interview dates.

I guess I am just worried about USCIS messing up our application somehow.

Ah well you can't send anything unless the USCIS gives you an RFE and then you answer that as requested.  Until then, try to give up control and stop worrying.  Easier said than done.

9 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Ah well you can't send anything unless the USCIS gives you an RFE and then you answer that as requested.  Until then, try to give up control and stop worrying.  Easier said than done.

Since I have you here, do you mind weighing in on what seems to be better - op-paper application or new online application?

I have seen threads where people who filed online (still getting IOE case numbers) and later linked their accounts to myuscis, were claiming that only a few of there documents showed up on the online system. As such, I am thinking may be online application is better since someone is gonna scan the on-paper docs anyway, better to do it yourself than have someone else mess up during scanning your on-paper petition and miss a document or something....

Here's the thread -

Edited by darth vader

5 minutes ago, darth vader said:

Since I have you here, do you mind weighing in on what seems to be better - op-paper application or new online application?

I have seen threads where people who filed online (still getting IOE case numbers) and later linked their accounts to myuscis, were claiming that only a few of there documents showed up on the online system. As such, I am thinking may be online application is better since someone is gonna scan the on-paper docs anyway, better to do it yourself than have someone else mess up during scanning your on-paper petition and miss a document or something....

Here's the thread -

Up to you.   It's new so there will be issues along the way.   The main issue ever with the traditional system was missing passport photos. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.