n8blogg

I need HELP rescheduling GC I485 Interview!

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Quick background: A few weeks ago, my wife's combo card was finally approved after many months of waiting, and she needed to get back out to the Philippines to pick up her 12 yr old son and get his visa before her follow-to-join (1 yr) expires. We have just been waiting on her travel permission to come through so she could go get him. We booked her a trip a couple weeks from that date and she left to get him Sat .Oct 26. Of course, her AOS interview (I-797) was received in the mail two days later with the interview date of Nov 26 (she was planning on coming back Mid-December). 

Basically, it's come down to this....She isn't going to be able to make it back in time for the Interview for various reasons (money, timing, not knowing some ways to expedite processes, etc). I SERIOUSLY can't understand why rescheduling this interview is such a crazy ordeal? If I give them a few weeks notice, why is it so crazy to have them reschedule it? This is not something I've gotten an answer on, and I'm curious why they wouldn't understand situations like the one I'm in better than they do. Anyways, she and I called USCIS together a little over two weeks ago and requested a reschedule. They put in a request and I haven't heard a word since. I have checked the case status online, but no changes yet.

Here's the questions I have:

1) I have read comments from several people that I need to also notify the local Field office here in Salt Lake of the interview change request as well, correct? Can someone confirm that? I still haven't gotten a clear answer if that's true and USCIS wasn't able to confirm that either. 

2) Is this a situation where USCIS may take up 30 days (timeline as per the USCIS cc rep) to respond to the interview change request and they'll take into account the date we filed the reschedule request? Or if they don't get to it till after the 26th, will they just count it as a missed appt?

3) Can I go to the local field office here without an appt? Infopass is no longer an option, I called to schedule an appt a week ago and they never called me back to schedule it as is protocol per the USCIS cc rep.  

This is so frustrating and it's getting down to a few days until this interview, I'm feeling a little desperate. I'm still here in Salt Lake while my wife is the Philippines. Anyone that has experience with this, could you please help me out. Thank you so much!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

There is a section on the Form I-797C notice for the AOS interview , toward the bottom of the page. The title of the section is "YOU MUST APPEAR FOR THIS INTERVIEW." In that section USCIS describes what they consider appropriate excuses for non-attendance, i.e., your illness, or a close relative's hospitalization.They then give you a phone number to call to attempt to reschedule. If you want to try that route, I would suggest that you call them and explain your situation, AND I would also suggest that you write a letter to your Local Field Office (LFO) (the address should be printed at the bottom of the page) expressing the same information. :idea:

There are too many postings on these fora, where people claimed that they called to reschedule, USCIS claims that they never got a call. Then the folks didn't go the their prearranged scheduled appointment time, USCIS then claim that the "no show" indicates that they abandoned their case...end of story.  I doubt that is the way that you want your immigration journey to end.

When people start their immigration journey into the processes associated with these monstrous government bureaucracies, Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and their associated agencies USCIS, ICE, and CBP, they have to realize that they have given control of their lives to these government bureaucracies until citizenship, or another endpoint, is completed. Keep in mind,  it is their ball game, their ball field, their ball, and their rules, not yours. :whistle: Due to the size of bureaucracies, they have little to no regard to your schedule or agenda, they are calling the shots. The scheduling minions at the ASC in Alexandria, VA are very likely inundated with nationwide rescheduling requests, and so as a consequence, you get what they can give you. And if you can get a rescheduled appointment, you may not like their alternative appointment, either. There are many of us that understand your frustration with the system, but again it is their system, not yours. Believe me when I say, that your posting is just preaching to the choir, there are a lot of us in the choir loft.:yes:

You will likely not get very far into the LFO building without a valid appointment notice. :no:Personally, I wouldn't even try that, you may end up in a worse situation than your current one, i.e., wearing a set of stainless steel bracelets. BTW, is is estimated that there are over a million cases awaiting adjudication in the immigration judicial system. Do you want to be placed into that queue? :no: Don't lose sight of your original goal when you started this process. 👍  Go to the appointment and be done with it, or risk the consequences of dealing with ICE agents and the immigration judicial system.:thumbs:

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline
36 minutes ago, Pitaya said:

There is a section on the Form I-797C notice for the AOS interview , toward the bottom of the page. The title of the section is "YOU MUST APPEAR FOR THIS INTERVIEW." In that section USCIS describes what they consider appropriate excuses for non-attendance, i.e., your illness, or a close relative's hospitalization.They then give you a phone number to call to attempt to reschedule. If you want to try that route, I would suggest that you call them and explain your situation, AND I would also suggest that you write a letter to your Local Field Office (LFO) (the address should be printed at the bottom of the page) expressing the same information. :idea:

There are too many postings on these fora, where people claimed that they called to reschedule, USCIS claims that they never got a call. Then the folks didn't go the their prearranged scheduled appointment time, USCIS then claim that the "no show" indicates that they abandoned their case...end of story.  I doubt that is the way that you want your immigration journey to end.

When people start their immigration journey into the processes associated with these monstrous government bureaucracies, Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and their associated agencies USCIS, ICE, and CBP, they have to realize that they have given control of their lives to these government bureaucracies until citizenship, or another endpoint, is completed. Keep in mind,  it is their ball game, their ball field, their ball, and their rules, not yours. :whistle: Due to the size of bureaucracies, they have little to no regard to your schedule or agenda, they are calling the shots. The scheduling minions at the ASC in Alexandria, VA are very likely inundated with nationwide rescheduling requests, and so as a consequence, you get what they can give you. And if you can get a rescheduled appointment, you may not like their alternative appointment, either. There are many of us that understand your frustration with the system, but again it is their system, not yours. Believe me when I say, that your posting is just preaching to the choir, there are a lot of us in the choir loft.:yes:

You will likely not get very far into the LFO building without a valid appointment notice. :no:Personally, I wouldn't even try that, you may end up in a worse situation than your current one, i.e., wearing a set of stainless steel bracelets. BTW, is is estimated that there are over a million cases awaiting adjudication in the immigration judicial system. Do you want to be placed into that queue? :no: Don't lose sight of your original goal when you started this process. 👍  Go to the appointment and be done with it, or risk the consequences of dealing with ICE agents and the immigration judicial system.:thumbs:

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate some of the insight. I certainly understand it's THEIR rules and they get to do whatever they want, fair or unfair. It's still completely beyond me why this particular appt is SO strict and there's no wiggle room for rescheduling it. It's got the same ramifications as not gettting your visa granted in Manila (or wherever a person has their interview), so I'm just curious as to why they have to be so insanely strict about the rescheduling of an appt. They want people to start living their lives in America and become a functioning part of society here, but as soon as they grant you ANY rights here (travel particularly) they then can kill the entire process? I could definitely understand, this if I was the one who set the appt and then sent my wife back to get her son, but THEY set the appt and we had no idea if it would be a year from getting her combo card or a week. The whole thing is just completely absurd, and yes, I know I'm preaching to the choir haha.

Ok, ok, rant over :)

I added a some of these details in my post, but probably didn't clarify very well. I did call the number on the I-797 a few weeks ago and spoke to the USCIS rep and put in a request to have the appt rescheduled. I also mailed a letter to the field office here requesting the same thing and explaining why my wife would not be able to make her appt. I just haven't heard back from either of these places to let me know they've received my correspondence or my request. I also called the USCIS number again to make the Infopass appt and was supposed to get a call back from them to make the appt, but haven't heard back on that either.

I'm very unclear as to why I would be at risk for getting arrested if I were to go to the local office here w/o an appt? I've seen a lot of people saying they have or were going to try that, I'm not sure I understand how that could make things worse? I'm to the point now where I don't think there's anything else I can do, so I am planning on going to the local field office with the paperwork to see if they will let me talk to someone about this. There's obviously a good chance they won't, but I don't think I have anything to lose by going and trying to talk to someone.

You mentioned just going to the appt (which as I stated, is just not an option at this point for my wife), but I'm wondering if it's worth my time for me to show up at least even if she can't make it? I doubt that would really help much, but just a thinking if I could talk to them at that point and explain the situation since technically she has an appt. Anyways, any help, suggestions, experience, etc from anyone who's dealt with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Timeline
9 hours ago, n8blogg said:

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate some of the insight. I certainly understand it's THEIR rules and they get to do whatever they want, fair or unfair. It's still completely beyond me why this particular appt is SO strict and there's no wiggle room for rescheduling it. It's got the same ramifications as not gettting your visa granted in Manila (or wherever a person has their interview), so I'm just curious as to why they have to be so insanely strict about the rescheduling of an appt. They want people to start living their lives in America and become a functioning part of society here, but as soon as they grant you ANY rights here (travel particularly) they then can kill the entire process? I could definitely understand, this if I was the one who set the appt and then sent my wife back to get her son, but THEY set the appt and we had no idea if it would be a year from getting her combo card or a week. The whole thing is just completely absurd, and yes, I know I'm preaching to the choir haha.

Ok, ok, rant over :)

I added a some of these details in my post, but probably didn't clarify very well. I did call the number on the I-797 a few weeks ago and spoke to the USCIS rep and put in a request to have the appt rescheduled. I also mailed a letter to the field office here requesting the same thing and explaining why my wife would not be able to make her appt. I just haven't heard back from either of these places to let me know they've received my correspondence or my request. I also called the USCIS number again to make the Infopass appt and was supposed to get a call back from them to make the appt, but haven't heard back on that either.

I'm very unclear as to why I would be at risk for getting arrested if I were to go to the local office here w/o an appt?  I've seen a lot of people saying they have or were going to try that, I'm not sure I understand how that could make things worse? I'm to the point now where I don't think there's anything else I can do, so I am planning on going to the local field office with the paperwork to see if they will let me talk to someone about this. There's obviously a good chance they won't, but I don't think I have anything to lose by going and trying to talk to someone. Uh, how would it look, for an obviously agitated and anxious individual trying to gain access to a controlled access federal office building, operated by the Department of Homeland Security, without an appointment? You will likely be turned away at the security checkpoint, and if the situation then escalates, you could be detained by a Federal officer. I don't think that is a scenario that you want to see played out. 

You mentioned just going to the appt (which as I stated, is just not an option at this point for my wife), but I'm wondering if it's worth my time for me to show up at least even if she can't make it? I doubt that would really help much, but just a thinking if I could talk to them at that point and explain the situation since technically she has an appt. Anyways, any help, suggestions, experience, etc from anyone who's dealt with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Other possible avenues of help for your dilemma include contacting your Federally elected representatives. I would think that the US Senators from Utah have immigration liaison staff members that may be able to get you a prompt response. Another possible option is the DHS Ombudsman Office (CISOMB), It would hurt to contact that office and try to obtain case assistance with your issue, https://www.dhs.gov/cisomb-faqs .

I would suggest that you promptly, if not yesterday, contact either or both of these groups. Since the holidays are quickly approaching, getting them involved quickly may be very necessary. And yes, I am still in the choir loft with a lot of other choir members.

Timeline
9 hours ago, Pitaya said:

Other possible avenues of help for your dilemma include contacting your Federally elected representatives. I would think that the US Senators from Utah have immigration liaison staff members that may be able to get you a prompt response. Another possible option is the DHS Ombudsman Office (CISOMB), It would hurt to contact that office and try to obtain case assistance with your issue, https://www.dhs.gov/cisomb-faqs .

I would suggest that you promptly, if not yesterday, contact either or both of these groups. Since the holidays are quickly approaching, getting them involved quickly may be very necessary. And yes, I am still in the choir loft with a lot of other choir members.

Thanks again for your response and the additional resources Pitaya! I actually went to the Local office today and the let me in to deliver a copy of the letter I sent previously that I hadn't heard back on. They were really nice and had no issues with letting me in once I explained my situation. I think calmly explaining my situation at the security checkpoint (not to mention, they obviously have this happen semi-frequently as they were familiar w the situation) made for a fairly easy pass through. I delivered the appt change request letter to the officer and he was very kind and said it was really smart to bring it by since they don't get to their mail very quickly. He assured me that he would get the letter to someone today and that they would handle it. Sure enough, within an hour I recieved a call from USCIS about my case and stating that they had recieved the change request and that I would get a letter in the mail regarding their decision on whether they will be willing to reschedule the appt or not. Certainly not resolved as of yet, but the best possible answer given the circumstance I have been in the last few weeks. I'll be curious to see what happens...

Timeline

It sounds like you were able to contact a human at USCIS LFO and they seemed willing and able to help....that is good news!! I hope that for your sake, that they decide in your favor and you can get a new appointment slot.

Just wondering is the SLC LFO office near Trolley Square?

Post back with your success story.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Pitaya said:

It sounds like you were able to contact a human at USCIS LFO and they seemed willing and able to help....that is good news!! I hope that for your sake, that they decide in your favor and you can get a new appointment slot.

Just wondering is the SLC LFO office near Trolley Square?

Post back with your success story.

Yes, I was able to chat w a rep there, I consider myself very lucky for having been able to do so. This office is relatively near Trolley Square, 660 south 200 east. I will make sure to update this once I hear back on the rescheduling. Thanks again for your help and replies to my questions :).

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline
1 hour ago, Pbchief2 said:

Any update on this? I'm in the same situation now.

Hey @Pbchief2, no update yet. I've been getting antsy thinking I should be getting a letter from USCIS soon, but haven't heard a word yet. I'm sure they're ok to take their sweet time as they do w everything else in the process. I was waiting to hear back if they were willing to reschedule the interview before I posted again on this. 

Just curious, where are you at in this process? Did you send a letter to your local field office and also contact the USCIS call center to request a change? The guy at the field office here told me it was a really big deal that I hand-delivered the letter to their office since he made it sound like they may or may not have gotten the letter I mailed. He assured me he would get it in the right hands, and I received a call about an hour later (after weeks of waiting from the letter I mailed) to let me know they had filed my reschedule request and that USCIS would send me a letter to let me know if they'll reschedule or not. My point being, if you mailed a letter to the field office and heard back, that's awesome. If not, go there directly and give them a copy of that letter just in case. I have very little faith in the people that work for these organizations, so 'force-feeding' them a letter might be the only way, as it was in my case. 

Also, I'm happy to provide a copy of the letter I wrote if you're needing something for reference. I found someone else who had done one on here and made it my own. Happy to help out if you need a point of reference on that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
14 hours ago, n8blogg said:

Hey @Pbchief2, no update yet. 

Just curious, where are you at in this process? 

Also, I'm happy to provide a copy of the letter I wrote if you're needing something for reference. I found someone else who had done one on here and made it my own. Happy to help out if you need a point of reference on that.

So far I have called the uscis to request a reschedule. Our appointment is in January. I am planning to drop off a hand written letter tomorrow and would appreciate a copy of the format you used.

You seem a bit worse off than me, we are both here in the states still, but have bought a ticket to see her grandmother in the hospital. 

Another friend of hers had a reschedule set 2 weeks after the call request at uscis, I'm beginning to think luck has a big hand in some of these.

Timeline
On 12/26/2019 at 11:47 AM, Pbchief2 said:

Just an FYI Sacramento field office will not take hand delivered letters.

Sorry for the long delay in gettin back to you on this! That's too bad they dont allow hand-delivered letters. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be a given for all field offices to allow hand-delivered letters, but I'm sure it just depends on the office. I wasn't able to schedule anything online to drop that off, so that's why I tried just going into the office here in Salt Lake. Here's the document I sent to them w any personal info hidden. Hope this helps. 

Sample Appt Change Request.pdf

Timeline

***UPDATE***

We received a letter to let us know that our interview date has been changed, we now have an interview scheduled for January 23. Very excited to see that they were willing to work with us on this as it's been a point of stress for several weeks. My wife and son got back December 18 and we had a wonderful Christmas here in the states. 😊 Now, just need to make sure we have everything ready for the interview. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 hours ago, n8blogg said:

***UPDATE***

We received a letter to let us know that our interview date has been changed, we now have an interview scheduled for January 23. Very excited to see that they were willing to work with us on this as it's been a point of stress for several weeks. My wife and son got back December 18 and we had a wonderful Christmas here in the states. 😊 Now, just need to make sure we have everything ready for the interview. 

We received a letter letting g us know they are rescheduling for us. No date yet.  I mailed letters to both the local office and national, as well as called. 

No worries, thank you for braving the waters before me😁

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.