14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

After waiting 13 months for I-751 approval, receiving RFE after 11 months of waiting and going through the second interview even after we sent a huge binder with all kind of proofs both times I probably panicking for no reason. We had our interview on May 23. The officer told us that I was supposed to get my welcome notice and a 10-year green card in a few days. I was told that if I don’t get it in 1 month I have to call customer service. I couldn’t wait another two weeks and called yesterday. The person I spoke to wasn’t nice to me at all. She was furious when I tolled her the reason I called. According to her some people don’t ever get their card in a mail. She asked me for a numbers from my passport’s stamp and of course I didn’t have it since I keep my passport in a bank lockbox. Her reaction was kind of abnormal again. She was speaking with me in a higher voice tone and told me that I have to have my passport on me all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As of today I haven’t received anything. Do you think it’s normal?

Am I just paranoid?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think her reaction was totaly normal , as a immigrant you do have to carry your passport or permanent resident card with you , lets say you unvolentierly end up in a trafic accident or somehow get stopped for id check, they might think your in the country eligal

as for resiving the card , i read somewhere that it can take up to 6 weeks after aproval to get it in mail , be patience I know its a long time

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Be patient, The time varies we were EVEN TOLD don't contact us until 90 days after the interview. ONLY after 90 days we can make an inquiry about the card, needless to say one week before the 90 days came up, we got the card. Good luck

Gone but not Forgotten!

I think her reaction was totaly normal , as a immigrant you do have to carry your passport or permanent resident card with you , lets say you unvolentierly end up in a trafic accident or somehow get stopped for id check, they might think your in the country eligal

as for resiving the card , i read somewhere that it can take up to 6 weeks after aproval to get it in mail , be patience I know its a long time

I am going to respond to every point you made in your post.

First of all, the customer service rep that finish4start got was not only rude but very, very discourteous. As a CSR, you shouldn't treat people like dirt just because they are immigrants and are calling to find out the status of legitimate benefits that they not only qualify for but also pay for. This is NOT NORMAL - it is RUDE! And it is UNACCEPTABLE! The normal thing to do is to calmly and respectfully tell him/her to call back at a later date when he has more information that will help them look up his case in the system. If you can take a beating and all kinds of sh!t from anybody just because you're an immigrant, I feel very sorry for you but not everyone has to be the same way.

And where did you get that wrong information that says that as an immigrant you must carry your passport with you at all times? This is a myth that needs to die very quickly. You don't have to carry your passport with you at all times, just your 'green card.' And even then, I don't carry my GC on me at all. What if it gets lost? What if I get frobbed and it was stolen? Can you guess who will be stuck with the fees and hassles and endless months of waiting to obtain a new card? Even if you end up in a traffic accident what more do you need to show other than your drivers license and proof insurance? If you don't mind me asking, are you driving all over town without a drivers license? Because the last time I checked it's not immigration officers but police officers that are dispatched to accident scenes - and they don't ask for passports or greencards. All they want to see is your proof of insurance and your valid authorization to operate a motor vehicle (which can be easily demonstrated by your drivers license).

Also, I don't know where you're from, but in this country you don't randomly get "stopped for ID check." It's against the law unless you're suspected of doing something wrong or you're requesting a service. NOBODY, not even law enforcement officers have the right to stop you randomly for an ID check while you're conducting your legitimate business.

And for a person that has been waiting 13 months (and counting) for something that normally takes about 6 months, so how much longer do you expect such a person to wait? Here you are suggesting another 6 week wait, conveniently ignoring the fact that they were told by the officer that they should get the card "in a few days." Go figure!

While you might be in possession of a GC, it doesn't occur to me that you are well informed of your rights as a lawful permanent resident. I don't mean to be rude to you but you will do yourself a lot of good if you take some time to educate yourself on your rights and responsibilities as a legal resident at least before you try to offer advice to other people.

After waiting 13 months for I-751 approval, receiving RFE after 11 months of waiting and going through the second interview even after we sent a huge binder with all kind of proofs both times I probably panicking for no reason. We had our interview on May 23. The officer told us that I was supposed to get my welcome notice and a 10-year green card in a few days. I was told that if I don’t get it in 1 month I have to call customer service. I couldn’t wait another two weeks and called yesterday. The person I spoke to wasn’t nice to me at all. She was furious when I tolled her the reason I called. According to her some people don’t ever get their card in a mail. She asked me for a numbers from my passport’s stamp and of course I didn’t have it since I keep my passport in a bank lockbox. Her reaction was kind of abnormal again. She was speaking with me in a higher voice tone and told me that I have to have my passport on me all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As of today I haven’t received anything. Do you think it’s normal?

Am I just paranoid?

I'm sorry to hear of your situation. I'm even more sorry to hear of the rude service you got from a USCIS rep. Don't let anyone tell you that this is normal. Contrary to what someone is telling you on this thread, IT IS NOT!!! Do not be intimidated. Refuse to believe it's OK to be spit on even when you're making a legitimate inquiry. Don't let anyone treat you like ####### just because you're an immigrant or because you're forced to call to make an inquiry on your case.

When next you call the USCIS, after telling the responder your name be sure to ask for theirs or their Rep ID Number as well. This way, you have some information to file a complaint if the person is rude to you or insults you in the course of the conversation. And if they start raising their voice at you or want to start insulting you, ask them to stop immediately and you will not tolerate disrespect when you're talking to them respectfully. The money you pay goes into their paychecks so the least they can do is to treat you with courtesy and respect.

And also, when you're calling, have your passport info, your alien #, your receipt notice and all other pertinent information handy. This will eliminate unnecessary hassles. And if you don't hear back from the USCIS after one month like the officer said, keep calling until somebody tells you something. Also, schedule an infopass to talk to an officer and find out what the delay is all about. Good luck!

First of all, the customer service rep that finish4start got was not only rude but very, very discourteous. As a CSR, you shouldn't treat people like dirt just because they are immigrants and are calling to find out the status of legitimate benefits that they not only qualify for but also pay for. This is NOT NORMAL - it is RUDE! And it is UNACCEPTABLE! The normal thing to do is to calmly and respectfully tell him/her to call back at a later date when he has more information that will help them look up his case in the system. If you can take a beating and all kinds of sh!t from anybody just because you're an immigrant, I feel very sorry for you but not everyone has to be the same way.

I think you're jumping to conclusions here. No one here aside from the OP knows how that phone call went and to assume that it was some form of prejudiced attack by a USCIS CSR is a little unnecessary. No offense intended to the OP but I would imagine at this point in the immigration process they are going to be on edge (I know I went through some low points too) and that even just a short tone of voice might have caused upset. I'm not excusing any rude behavior on the part of the CSR, just saying that it might not have been as rude as you imply.

And where did you get that wrong information that says that as an immigrant you must carry your passport with you at all times? This is a myth that needs to die very quickly. You don't have to carry your passport with you at all times, just your 'green card.

You do if you haven't received your first GC yet. The I-551 stamp is your only proof of status until then. I think LonaD was saying that you should carry the passport until you receive your GC and then carry the GC. At least, that's what I read into it.

And even then, I don't carry my GC on me at all.

You don't? Then you're breaking one of the requirements of your permanent residency:

"Permanent Resident Card

The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times. This requirement means that you are not only required to have a currently valid Form I-551 at all times, but also that you must carry your currently valid Form I-551 on your person at all times."

This was taken directly from the USCIS website.

What if it gets lost? What if I get frobbed and it was stolen? Can you guess who will be stuck with the fees and hassles and endless months of waiting to obtain a new card? Even if you end up in a traffic accident what more do you need to show other than your drivers license and proof insurance? If you don't mind me asking, are you driving all over town without a drivers license? Because the last time I checked it's not immigration officers but police officers that are dispatched to accident scenes - and they don't ask for passports or greencards. All they want to see is your proof of insurance and your valid authorization to operate a motor vehicle (which can be easily demonstrated by your drivers license).

I agree that it is unlikely to have a police officer check for your immigration status but I imagine that it is possible. And yes, you might lose it or have it stolen. But would you rather end up with a short stay in jail for not carrying it? (A friend of mine was asked for proof of status once and was nearly sent to jail for 30 days for not having it).

Also, I don't know where you're from, but in this country you don't randomly get "stopped for ID check." It's against the law unless you're suspected of doing something wrong or you're requesting a service. NOBODY, not even law enforcement officers have the right to stop you randomly for an ID check while you're conducting your legitimate business.

I'm sure there are situations when a police officer can request ID without suspicion of any misdeed by you. One that springs to mind is a road block (if they are searching for someone in particular etc). I know that I've been stopped at a Border Control checkpoint (EVERYONE had to stop without exception) and asked for proof of status on a couple of separate occasions. At one point, I was driving to my AOS interview and had to show a copy of my I-797 notice to be allowed to pass (even then they studied it carefully for a while). I guess what I'm saying is that I figure that it pays to meet that requirement and that's all that LonaD was saying.

And for a person that has been waiting 13 months (and counting) for something that normally takes about 6 months, so how much longer do you expect such a person to wait? Here you are suggesting another 6 week wait, conveniently ignoring the fact that they were told by the officer that they should get the card "in a few days." Go figure!

You seem to be attacking LonaD for just offering advice with regards to possible wait times for the actual card. I really don't see how they were trying to do anything but help.

While you might be in possession of a GC, it doesn't occur to me that you are well informed of your rights as a lawful permanent resident. I don't mean to be rude to you but you will do yourself a lot of good if you take some time to educate yourself on your rights and responsibilities as a legal resident at least before you try to offer advice to other people.

I believe you might do well to take a piece of your own advice here. Advocating the breaking one of the requirements of permanent residency (not carrying your proof of status) to other people in the immigration process doesn't sound right to me.

Edited by skutter

I-129F and K-1 Timeline

2004-05-20 - Mailed I-129F package to VSC.

2004-05-25 - NOA1 online.

2004-05-28 - NOA1 received in mail.

2004-06-09 - NOA2 online. (15 days!)

2004-06-14 - NOA2 received in mail.

2004-06-17 - NVC received approved petition.

2004-06-18 - NVC sent approved petition to London.

2004-06-26 - Recevied Packet 3 from London.

2004-06-28 - Sent Packet 3 back to London.

2004-07-20 - Received Packet 4 from London.

2004-08-17 - Interview in London. - Approved!

2004-08-19 - Received passport with K-1 and the sealed envelope.

2004-08-25 - One-way trip to Lincoln, ME.

2004-09-25 - Date of wedding!

AOS and EAD Timeline

2004-10-27 - Sent AOS and EAD to local office in Portland, ME.

2004-10-28 - USPS informed package had been delivered.

2004-11-05 - AOS and EAD NOAs.

2004-12-07 - AOS and EAD fingerprinting and biometrics appointment.

2005-01-06 - EAD approved!

2005-01-13 - AOS appointment letter received.

2005-01-14 - EAD received!

2005-03-15 - Received AOS interview package (including K-1 medical document copy).

2005-03-29 - Went for vaccination supplement at USCIS aprroved civil surgeon (Bangor, ME).

2005-04-07 - AOS interview. - Approved! Passport stamped with temporary I-551.

2005-04-15 - Received Permanent Resident Card!

I-751 Timeline

2007-02-27 - Sent I-751 package to VSC.

2007-03-12 - Received NOA1 by mail.

2007-04-12 - Biometrics appointment in Portland, ME.

2007-08-31 - Card production ordered.

2007-09-07 - Approval notice sent.

Am I just paranoid?

For some reason your application was not fully convincing and/or it fell through the cracks and was rediscovered after 11 months of filing. Now that the second interview officer approved you, you are still a PR and it's good for the next 10 years. At this point, don't worry about the plastic card, but focus on your N-400 citizenship application. Also, don't call the 800 number for important information, make an Info Pass appt. to follow up on the card and get an I-551 stamp on your passport. The people who answer the phone are outside contractors who just answer the phone; talk to a USCIS officer face to face to get any real answers/updates. Last, you are required to carry proof of your permanent residence at all times. And people do get stopped randomly, especially if you travel close to the border zones.

I think you're jumping to conclusions here. No one here aside from the OP knows how that phone call went and to assume that it was some form of prejudiced attack by a USCIS CSR is a little unnecessary. No offense intended to the OP but I would imagine at this point in the immigration process they are going to be on edge (I know I went through some low points too) and that even just a short tone of voice might have caused upset. I'm not excusing any rude behavior on the part of the CSR, just saying that it might not have been as rude as you imply.

And where did you get that wrong information that says that as an immigrant you must carry your passport with you at all times? This is a myth that needs to die very quickly. You don't have to carry your passport with you at all times, just your 'green card.

You do if you haven't received your first GC yet. The I-551 stamp is your only proof of status until then. I think LonaD was saying that you should carry the passport until you receive your GC and then carry the GC. At least, that's what I read into it.

And even then, I don't carry my GC on me at all.

You don't? Then you're breaking one of the requirements of your permanent residency:

"Permanent Resident Card

The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times. This requirement means that you are not only required to have a currently valid Form I-551 at all times, but also that you must carry your currently valid Form I-551 on your person at all times."

This was taken directly from the USCIS website.

What if it gets lost? What if I get frobbed and it was stolen? Can you guess who will be stuck with the fees and hassles and endless months of waiting to obtain a new card? Even if you end up in a traffic accident what more do you need to show other than your drivers license and proof insurance? If you don't mind me asking, are you driving all over town without a drivers license? Because the last time I checked it's not immigration officers but police officers that are dispatched to accident scenes - and they don't ask for passports or greencards. All they want to see is your proof of insurance and your valid authorization to operate a motor vehicle (which can be easily demonstrated by your drivers license).

I agree that it is unlikely to have a police officer check for your immigration status but I imagine that it is possible. And yes, you might lose it or have it stolen. But would you rather end up with a short stay in jail for not carrying it? (A friend of mine was asked for proof of status once and was nearly sent to jail for 30 days for not having it).

I'm sure there are situations when a police officer can request ID without suspicion of any misdeed by you. One that springs to mind is a road block (if they are searching for someone in particular etc). I know that I've been stopped at a Border Control checkpoint (EVERYONE had to stop without exception) and asked for proof of status on a couple of separate occasions. At one point, I was driving to my AOS interview and had to show a copy of my I-797 notice to be allowed to pass (even then they studied it carefully for a while). I guess what I'm saying is that I figure that it pays to meet that requirement and that's all that LonaD was saying.

You seem to be attacking LonaD for just offering advice with regards to possible wait times for the actual card. I really don't see how they were trying to do anything but help.

I believe you might do well to take a piece of your own advice here. Advocating the breaking one of the requirements of permanent residency (not carrying your proof of status) to other people in the immigration process doesn't sound right to me.

I am not jumping to any conclusions. An intelligent person can read between the lines and get a fairly good grasp of what transpired between the CSR and the OP. The OP said things like the CSR wasn't "nice to me at all", "her reaction was abnormal" and then "speaking with me in a higher voice tone" (she was basically raising her voice, indicating anger). Except listening in on the conversation, what more do you need to establish that the CSR wasn't on her best behavior?

No, I don't carry the card on me always. And no, I am not breaking any laws. The way my attorney had this interpreted to me was that if the card is not physically on me, then I must know where it is at all times (which I do). And where did you get the info that being caught without your GC on you is punishable with jailtime? I have NEVER heard that before. Quote the source of your information (if you have it) and then I will believe you and your friend. Even in the very unlikely scenario that I'm arrested for not having my card on me, what's the worst that can happen? I get charged with unlawful presence -> I go home same day on bail (or get my family to bring my GC) -> I face the judge -> I produce proof of lawful residence -> case dismissed -> officers look stupid.

So, what if I don't have an ID on me at your hypothetical road block? Does that make me the criminal they're searching for? I stand by my earlier statement: Not having an ID on you is NOT a criminal offense. At least not yet. Ask a lawyer if you want. The situation at or near the border, however, is totally different. Don't mix them together. At the border, even USCs have to their passport or birthcert with a picture ID. EVERYONE (not just LPRs) hanging around the border has to prove s/he's got a legitimate right or permission to enter the country before the BP will let him/her in.

I am not attacking LonaD. I am just advocating for fairness and common sense. First of all, h/she came in quick defense of the rude CSR. And then suggested to the OP to wait another 6 weeks before doing anything after having waited 13 months already for a benefit that averages 6 months. I don't know about you but that doesn't sound like 'help' to me. And why don't we ask you or LonaD if either of you will be willing to wait 14+ months to receive an answer to your I-751 application?

I am not providing any advice to anybody. I am merely stating my opinions on the matters at hand. If you choose to carry your GC with you everywhere you go - swimming, bathroom and all - you're more than welcome to do that as it is well within your rights. And if I chose to keep my card safe at home and only whip it out where and when it is absolutely necessary, I don't see why anybody should be bothered.

PS: I just read somewhere that the OP finally got approved. So I'm very happy for him/her and that alone makes anything said beyond this point moot.

i really don't care much about this argument, but i have to say one thing.

Ever since i got my permanent resident card 2 years ago, never ever have i had that with me while in states. only when we go to visit my husbands parents who live in douglas, arizona. they live one mile away from a border, that's why. otherwise it's safe in my house.

i have my state ID - that is all you need. i have never heard of anyone having to prove their status in states, unless they are in deep ######!

that's all i wanted to say! :)

Edited by debeselizz

.................(US)Dan and Simona(LT).........

02/11/2004 - NOA1

07/13/2004 - NOA2!!! FINALLY APPROVED!!!! (153 days) Happy Happy day!!!

09/10/2004 - INTERVIEW in Warsaw(Approved)

11/06/2004 - Got married in Arizona! Mr. and Mrs. now :)

AOS timeline

12/23/2004 - NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

01/25/2005 - EAD Approved!

01/26/2005 - AP Approved!

08/16/2005 - AOS interview in Chicago! The I-551 stamp received.

08/22/2005 - Permanent Resident Card received! On hubby's birthday :)

REMOVING CONDITIONS

05/24/2007 - Sent I-751 to Nebraska service center.

05/26/07 - NSC received our application.

06/09/07 - Notice received(NOA dated 5/31)

06/21/07 - Biometrics completed

04/02/08 - case transferred from NSC to CSC

04/03/08 - touched

05/06/08 - APPROVED

05/12/08 - Received Permanent Resident Card (done with immigration untill the citizenship. Will wait till Lithuania and USA gets dual citizenship agreement)

No, I don't carry the card on me always. And no, I am not breaking any laws. The way my attorney had this interpreted to me was that if the card is not physically on me, then I must know where it is at all times (which I do). And where did you get the info that being caught without your GC on you is punishable with jailtime? I have NEVER heard that before. Quote the source of your information (if you have it) and then I will believe you and your friend. Even in the very unlikely scenario that I'm arrested for not having my card on me, what's the worst that can happen? I get charged with unlawful presence -> I go home same day on bail (or get my family to bring my GC) -> I face the judge -> I produce proof of lawful residence -> case dismissed -> officers look stupid.

So, what if I don't have an ID on me at your hypothetical road block? Does that make me the criminal they're searching for? I stand by my earlier statement: Not having an ID on you is NOT a criminal offense. At least not yet. Ask a lawyer if you want. The situation at or near the border, however, is totally different. Don't mix them together. At the border, even USCs have to their passport or birthcert with a picture ID. EVERYONE (not just LPRs) hanging around the border has to prove s/he's got a legitimate right or permission to enter the country before the BP will let him/her in.

Yes, you are breaking the law by not carrying it on you at all times. Here is the "source": Immigration and Nationality Act 264 (e)

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?...fb0686648558dbe

"(e) Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both. "

Sure, you can ignore this and get arrested and maybe a spend a night in jail only to be released right afterward and that experience will look great on your resume when it's time apply for citizenship. Maybe it's time to find a new attorney?

I am not jumping to any conclusions. An intelligent person can read between the lines and get a fairly good grasp of what transpired between the CSR and the OP. The OP said things like the CSR wasn't "nice to me at all", "her reaction was abnormal" and then "speaking with me in a higher voice tone" (she was basically raising her voice, indicating anger). Except listening in on the conversation, what more do you need to establish that the CSR wasn't on her best behavior?

Eh, I wasn't saying it didn't happen, just saying the OP may have exaggerated a little. I agree that any rudeness on the part of the CSR isn't really excusable or right, especially given the fact that the OP wasn't exactly in the best of moods WRT their dealings with immigration.

No, I don't carry the card on me always. And no, I am not breaking any laws. The way my attorney had this interpreted to me was that if the card is not physically on me, then I must know where it is at all times (which I do). And where did you get the info that being caught without your GC on you is punishable with jailtime? I have NEVER heard that before. Quote the source of your information (if you have it) and then I will believe you and your friend.

See post above from jt_2005.

Even in the very unlikely scenario that I'm arrested for not having my card on me, what's the worst that can happen? I get charged with unlawful presence -> I go home same day on bail (or get my family to bring my GC) -> I face the judge -> I produce proof of lawful residence -> case dismissed -> officers look stupid.

And it goes on your permanent record I would imagine. As jt_2005 said, being arrested might not contribute entirely to your future.

So, what if I don't have an ID on me at your hypothetical road block? Does that make me the criminal they're searching for? I stand by my earlier statement: Not having an ID on you is NOT a criminal offense.

If you're driving the car and you don't have *any* ID (I assume that's what you mean as opposed to just proof of status) then I believe it is a criminal offense as you're not allowed to operate a motor vehicle without your license on your person. I agree that you don't need an ID if you're a passenger or if you're on foot/bicycle. Though the carrying GC thing *is* mandatory whether you're asked for it or not.

The situation at or near the border, however, is totally different. Don't mix them together. At the border, even USCs have to their passport or birthcert with a picture ID. EVERYONE (not just LPRs) hanging around the border has to prove s/he's got a legitimate right or permission to enter the country before the BP will let him/her in.

I apologize. In my previous post I wasn't entirely clear on the circumstances of the Border Control situations. I wasn't actually at the border crossing into another country, I was maybe 4 or 5 hours south of the border (and hadn't come over it) and it was a "all traffic must stop" checkpoint (to check on illegal immigrants or something I assume).

I am not attacking LonaD. I am just advocating for fairness and common sense. First of all, h/she came in quick defense of the rude CSR. And then suggested to the OP to wait another 6 weeks before doing anything after having waited 13 months already for a benefit that averages 6 months. I don't know about you but that doesn't sound like 'help' to me. And why don't we ask you or LonaD if either of you will be willing to wait 14+ months to receive an answer to your I-751 application?

As long as I could still work/reside in the US legally (have proof of status via I-797 or passport stamp) then I wouldn't mind in the least really. It wouldn't be preventing me from doing what I intended when I moved here (lead a normal/happy life).

I am not providing any advice to anybody. I am merely stating my opinions on the matters at hand. If you choose to carry your GC with you everywhere you go - swimming, bathroom and all - you're more than welcome to do that as it is well within your rights. And if I chose to keep my card safe at home and only whip it out where and when it is absolutely necessary, I don't see why anybody should be bothered.

I was only really concerned that the members of this board who aren't as well-versed in the intricacies of immigration or maybe don't speak as good English might assume by your assertions that it's OK not to carry the GC and then possibly getting in trouble for it.

PS: I just read somewhere that the OP finally got approved. So I'm very happy for him/her and that alone makes anything said beyond this point moot.

Yeah, I agree.

I apologize for my knee-jerk hostile reaction to your post.

I-129F and K-1 Timeline

2004-05-20 - Mailed I-129F package to VSC.

2004-05-25 - NOA1 online.

2004-05-28 - NOA1 received in mail.

2004-06-09 - NOA2 online. (15 days!)

2004-06-14 - NOA2 received in mail.

2004-06-17 - NVC received approved petition.

2004-06-18 - NVC sent approved petition to London.

2004-06-26 - Recevied Packet 3 from London.

2004-06-28 - Sent Packet 3 back to London.

2004-07-20 - Received Packet 4 from London.

2004-08-17 - Interview in London. - Approved!

2004-08-19 - Received passport with K-1 and the sealed envelope.

2004-08-25 - One-way trip to Lincoln, ME.

2004-09-25 - Date of wedding!

AOS and EAD Timeline

2004-10-27 - Sent AOS and EAD to local office in Portland, ME.

2004-10-28 - USPS informed package had been delivered.

2004-11-05 - AOS and EAD NOAs.

2004-12-07 - AOS and EAD fingerprinting and biometrics appointment.

2005-01-06 - EAD approved!

2005-01-13 - AOS appointment letter received.

2005-01-14 - EAD received!

2005-03-15 - Received AOS interview package (including K-1 medical document copy).

2005-03-29 - Went for vaccination supplement at USCIS aprroved civil surgeon (Bangor, ME).

2005-04-07 - AOS interview. - Approved! Passport stamped with temporary I-551.

2005-04-15 - Received Permanent Resident Card!

I-751 Timeline

2007-02-27 - Sent I-751 package to VSC.

2007-03-12 - Received NOA1 by mail.

2007-04-12 - Biometrics appointment in Portland, ME.

2007-08-31 - Card production ordered.

2007-09-07 - Approval notice sent.

Yes, you are breaking the law by not carrying it on you at all times. Here is the "source": Immigration and Nationality Act 264 (e)

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?...fb0686648558dbe

"(e) Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both. "

Sure, you can ignore this and get arrested and maybe a spend a night in jail only to be released right afterward and that experience will look great on your resume when it's time apply for citizenship. Maybe it's time to find a new attorney?

Thank you all for replying. I just received my card in a mail. The only thing I would like to say that I could be overwhelmed at the time I called Customer Service but I didn’t loose my common cense and was extremely polite. If you’re in customer service you should be ready that even you don’t like something about the customer or you having a bad hair day you can’t show it off. Can you imagine going to your bank with some questions about something you don’t understand and your banker raising the voice just because you don’t get his explanations the first time? I bet you will never come back to that bank. The difference with USCIS Customer Service is that we don’t have any other place to call with our questions. Even if the customer asking stupid questions your job as a customer service representative is to give the customer the correct answers and educate the person without showing any expression of anger. Why in the grocery store any associate is required to walk you to the alley with the product you asked for not making comments that the customer can’t read or raising the voice even that every alley has signs with what’s in it. Why sometimes the USCIS Customer Service is what any American would find unacceptable?

Everybody has his own opinion and I respect it. But just think of what I wrote above. Would you come back to that Bank or Grocery store?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
I just received my card in a mail....If you’re in customer service you should be ready that even you don’t like something about the customer or you having a bad hair day you can’t show it off. Can you imagine going to your bank with some questions about something you don’t understand and your banker raising the voice just because you don’t get his explanations the first time? I bet you will never come back to that bank. The difference with USCIS Customer Service is that we don’t have any other place to call with our questions. Even if the customer asking stupid questions your job as a customer service representative is to give the customer the correct answers and educate the person without showing any expression of anger....Why sometimes the USCIS Customer Service is what any American would find unacceptable?

Everybody has his own opinion and I respect it. But just think of what I wrote above. Would you come back to that Bank or Grocery store?

Congratulations! I agree with your discussion regarding customer service. I would not return the a store if treated badly by a rep. But, as you say, immigrants have no choice as to where they 'shop'.

Welcome to the U.S. as a PR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I just received my card in a mail....If you’re in customer service you should be ready that even you don’t like something about the customer or you having a bad hair day you can’t show it off. Can you imagine going to your bank with some questions about something you don’t understand and your banker raising the voice just because you don’t get his explanations the first time? I bet you will never come back to that bank. The difference with USCIS Customer Service is that we don’t have any other place to call with our questions. Even if the customer asking stupid questions your job as a customer service representative is to give the customer the correct answers and educate the person without showing any expression of anger....Why sometimes the USCIS Customer Service is what any American would find unacceptable?

Congratulations! I agree with your discussion regarding customer service. I would not return the a store if treated badly by a rep. But, as you say, immigrants have no choice as to where they 'shop'.

Welcome to the U.S. as a PR!

Congratulations finish4start, glad to see your long wait is over at last. :dance:

Cheers Lindy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.