Olga&Jared

Change of Address Question

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi guys,

I filed for AOS/EAD/AP in the end of July, and currently have my case at "Ready to be scheduled for an interview". Last week my husband and I moved to a different apartment, and I filed for CoA using the online form on USCIS website. 

I got an email from them today saying "We have updated your address in our systems and on your application or petition", but for some reason they only mentioned form I-485 in the header of that email though I made sure to insert all three case numbers while filling that form.

I haven't changed my address before that's why I don't know what to expect in their replies on this matter. I heard that some people receive a paper letter with confirmation, for example. But the question is if I need to send another CoA request with EAD/AP only, or should I call and they will update it for me? 

I did change my address with USPS to make sure they forward my mail from the previous address but I've no idea how accurate it'll be. I lived near SF office and now I'm closer to San Jose, so I don't expect to get an interview notice before EAD based on the stats. I also don't know if there's any chance to find out if they'll change offices for my case because of the move. 

Example.jpg

Timeline

Update: I called them and asked, but the woman was very robotic with her answers and kept giving me information on how to file AR-11 even though I did and already got one confirmation. I was trying to confirm with her if I should expect separate emails with confirmation for each case but she didn't give me any specific answer 😕 I gave her my EAD case number, and the address on file is still old, she said she couldn't change it herself. If someone had similar situation, please let me know. 

Edited by Olga&Jared

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

BTW, did you also file a proper change of address with USPS?

https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline
On 11/2/2019 at 3:31 PM, Pitaya said:

BTW, did you also file a proper change of address with USPS?

https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange

Yep, that's the first thing I did. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, Olga&Jared said:

Yep, that's the first thing I did. 

Very good. :thumbs:Many folks forget to notify our infamous USPS delivery service. Often contributing to already stressful situations when important documents/papers "get lost in the mail." It probably won't fix all of the issues associated with USPS, but at least they have been properly notified that you don't want any issues from them.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

when i changed mine, even though i made sure i changed it on all 3 forms and I-864 i got update ot he website for I-485 and i got a letter in the mail for I-864. i dont think you need to worry about I-765 and I-131 they ended up sending the EAD to our new address. i guess they updated them.

AOS/EAD/AP ->: 11/29/18 - NOA1: 12/04/18

Biometric NOA:  12/14/18  Biometric Appt: 12/26/18

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview: 1/16/19

EAD/AP approval: 3/18/19

AOS Interview Appt: 6/4/19

AOS Interview: 7/10/19

AOS Approved: 7/23/19

GREEN CARD IN HAND: 7/26/19

"It's true, we don't have it as easy as ordinary couples. But this is no ordinary love"

Timeline
5 hours ago, Lebanese23 said:

when i changed mine, even though i made sure i changed it on all 3 forms and I-864 i got update ot he website for I-485 and i got a letter in the mail for I-864. i dont think you need to worry about I-765 and I-131 they ended up sending the EAD to our new address. i guess they updated them.

Thank you so much for your response! It made me feel a bit better :) When you say "got updated on the website for I-485", what kind of update do you mean? I'm asking because the next morning after receiving that confirmation email from USCIS, I got another email but already from MyUSCIS updater saying that they took action on my case. My status for I-485 has been "Ready to be scheduled for an interview" since October 9, and that night it changed to "Interview was canceled" and then to "Ready to be scheduled..." again but as of November 1. Is it a glitch? Or is it the kind of update you were talking about? I actually never had any status updates on MyUSCIS before (all three cases were at "Case was received"). I only could track on egov 

Edited by Olga&Jared

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

this was my timeline for address change which you can only see under I-485. the main change is under I-485. My I-131 still says case was received. but I-765 says card was delivered.

image.png

AOS/EAD/AP ->: 11/29/18 - NOA1: 12/04/18

Biometric NOA:  12/14/18  Biometric Appt: 12/26/18

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview: 1/16/19

EAD/AP approval: 3/18/19

AOS Interview Appt: 6/4/19

AOS Interview: 7/10/19

AOS Approved: 7/23/19

GREEN CARD IN HAND: 7/26/19

"It's true, we don't have it as easy as ordinary couples. But this is no ordinary love"

Timeline
On 11/4/2019 at 1:53 PM, Lebanese23 said:

this was my timeline for address change which you can only see under I-485. the main change is under I-485. My I-131 still says case was received. but I-765 says card was delivered.

image.png

Ah, got it. I guess you updated it through MyUSCIS in the first place :) I filed AR-11 separately through USCIS website that's why on my end it looks different 

Hi Olga&Jared

I am also in the same position as you (just moved from SF to near San Jose and everything!).

I submitted change of address on October 25th online.

I got an email notification the morning of Nov 5th saying my address had been updated, but like you they only quoted the I-485 and nothing else despite me entering the I-765 and I-131 receipt numbers.

Last night my work permit got sent to USPS and will be delivered tomorrow. I can't see the address it's going to. Fortunately my husband's family still live at our old address so if it goes there I should be ok, but I will let you know where it is delivered. 

As for switching field offices, I have heard from people who have gone through this process that our Greencard applications will get put to the back of the queue once received by San Jose  😔

Timeline
2 hours ago, Thepasswordis1234 said:

Hi Olga&Jared

I am also in the same position as you (just moved from SF to near San Jose and everything!).

I submitted change of address on October 25th online.

I got an email notification the morning of Nov 5th saying my address had been updated, but like you they only quoted the I-485 and nothing else despite me entering the I-765 and I-131 receipt numbers.

Last night my work permit got sent to USPS and will be delivered tomorrow. I can't see the address it's going to. Fortunately my husband's family still live at our old address so if it goes there I should be ok, but I will let you know where it is delivered. 

As for switching field offices, I have heard from people who have gone through this process that our Greencard applications will get put to the back of the queue once received by San Jose  😔

Hey! It's so good to hear from someone in the same situation :) 

What I found out after calling multiple times and asking to check all my cases is that address change does take some time even after they mail that confirmation notice. I got that email on Friday, and it was still not updated with the systems (even the I-485 one). But when I called yesterday, they told me that my new address is updated for all the three cases. 

There's a chance that your EAD could still be mailed to your previous address because you just got the confirmation today, but regardless I am glad you have someone to pick it up for you. Congratulations btw! :D I hope my EAD arrives somewhere in December-January but you never know. We were also just renting a place at my previous address that's why obtaining anything there could be a problem in the future in case if USPS doesn't forward it to me. 

It's a shame to be put to the back of the queue 😕 But I guess San Jose is overall a better option so maybe it won't take more than a year till we are scheduled. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.