GwenM

K1 Filers —Oct/Nov NOA2 —> NVC and beyond Montreal

263 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Forrest Fire said:

I've got a question for you guys...I'll be in the USA for 2 months before getting married and want to get health insurance in case something goes wrong. Has anyone already looked into this or know a company I can contact? 

My plan was to order through manulife.ca (their Cover Me Travel Insurance), as I usually do. As long as you haven't cancelled your Canadian Health Insurance or officially changed your residence to the US, it will still be valid. It'll cost about $80(is) for two months of Emergency Medical. If you have changed your residence or otherwise, they likely have another plan for you that will just cost a lot more.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Forrest Fire said:

I've got a question for you guys...I'll be in the USA for 2 months before getting married and want to get health insurance in case something goes wrong. Has anyone already looked into this or know a company I can contact? 

Also, if you flew there and booked a trip with a major credit card, that may cover you for trip & medical, but you'll have to check their policies.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, From the Brook said:

My plan was to order through manulife.ca (their Cover Me Travel Insurance), as I usually do. As long as you haven't cancelled your Canadian Health Insurance or officially changed your residence to the US, it will still be valid. It'll cost about $80(is) for two months of Emergency Medical. If you have changed your residence or otherwise, they likely have another plan for you that will just cost a lot more.

What would "officially" changed your residence to the US mean? I'm worried that if I get "travelers" insurance and something happens and they find out I wasn't just visiting and never had any intent on returning to Canada, I won't be covered.  

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Forrest Fire said:

What would "officially" changed your residence to the US mean? I'm worried that if I get "travelers" insurance and something happens and they find out I wasn't just visiting and never had any intent on returning to Canada, I won't be covered.  

Legit concern. I couldn't find anything on their page relating to that. Technically, until you have legally changed residence, you are just travelling regardless of intention. But you're right, they could hold contention with that and insurance companies are PIAs. As soon as you have that SSN (which you can apply for within 10days), you can apply for their American one (.com vs .ca) to be covered. Expect to pay hundreds. I'd browse options on that front. I just go with Manulife because it was the only insurance company that let me continue to buy while in the US already, where most say you have to buy BEFORE leaving for your trip.

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Forrest Fire said:

I called them to find out for my own situation as well, and the sales rep says as long as you haven't called and cancelled your health insurance in your province, you are fine to be covered for a couple months. But you can call and discuss it with them and they will set you up.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Forrest Fire said:

Thanks so much for the info! I'll do that this afternoon! I love crossing things off my never ending to-do list! 

Yeah, I just got mine while on the phone with him. Correction on the cost: it's $190--still much less per month than we can look forward to paying down south!

Timeline
55 minutes ago, aml16 said:

Just wondering what support financial documents I need for the interview.

I have 2018 tax return, W2s and recent pay stubs. Is this enough with the Affadavit Of Support?

My interview is tomorrow!

Also, does the passport photocopy have to be color? Of my own Canadian passport?

Passport photocopy says colour when you send the P3, but perhaps they aren't that picky after that. I'd do it in colour just in case if you still can.

As for the financial documents, it depends on the information you listed in your I134. What you've listed is great, but you may need account statements as well if you're using account balances as evidence. It sounds like lots of people brought what you have and were covered.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Patience4 said:

Had interview today, got approved! They said it should take 2-3 weeks to get visa :). Thank you everyone here for all your help!

Congratulations! If you paid for the Purolator delivery, it shouldn't take that long at all. 

6 minutes ago, Dfaye said:

Congrats!!! Did they request the DS5540 public charge questionnaire?

Thanks!

I'm actually quite disappointed with how little they actually took. Only took the I-134 and not the I-864, no K-1 approval letter, no color copy of D-160 receipt with barcode, or even my police report! They only took like a third of the documents I actually brought with me. During the interview they asked if I had ever been convicted, which I said no and mentioned how I had the police reports.. they still didn't take them. I'm not sure what the DS5540 is, never came up as something we needed to file for the interview. Hope that helps!

32 minutes ago, Patience4 said:

Thanks!

I'm actually quite disappointed with how little they actually took. Only took the I-134 and not the I-864, no K-1 approval letter, no color copy of D-160 receipt with barcode, or even my police report! They only took like a third of the documents I actually brought with me. During the interview they asked if I had ever been convicted, which I said no and mentioned how I had the police reports.. they still didn't take them. I'm not sure what the DS5540 is, never came up as something we needed to file for the interview. Hope that helps!

Good to know! My interview is coming up real soon and being able to talk to people who had theirs recently helps a ton! My folder feels like it’s gonna weigh 10lbs at the end of it haha. It’s tough not to bring everything because it’s better to be safe than sorry. 
I totally understand why it would be disappointing though!!! We took time and effort to get it all together the least they can do is take it LOL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.