conklin6615

Married in the Philippines

9 posts in this topic

So I am a American citizen and I married a Filipino in the Philippines. We were married for 11 years.  She cheated on me and we filed for divorce in the US.  After some time I am ready to marry again. Am I able to marry another Filipino?    Would I be able to use a K3 visa? 

There is no problem marrying again as long as you are both legally free to marry.

The K-1 Visa is a Fiancé(e) Visa. The K-3 Visa is a Spouse Visa but it is obsolete. For Spouse Visa it is now either a CR-1 or an IR-1.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/110-ir-1-cr-1-spouse-visa-process-amp-procedures/

15 minutes ago, conklin6615 said:

Thank you, I was worried that I would have to have my marriage annulled in the PHILIPPINES. So you are saying that I could remarry in the Philippines or just bring her over with a K-1 visa?

I'm not 100% certain because recently there have been cases where the CO asked for other documents. However, it used to be that the foreign divorce decree was enough. I don't know if this change is a new policy or an oversight of the CO.

I'm a newbie on here but I'm going to call for help. Paging @Hank_, @Greenbaum, @payxibka! (They are the experts!)

Edited by Soon To Be Mrs. T

2 hours ago, conklin6615 said:

So I am a American citizen and I married a Filipino in the Philippines. We were married for 11 years.  She cheated on me and we filed for divorce in the US.  After some time I am ready to marry again. Am I able to marry another Filipino?    Would I be able to use a K3 visa? 

Yes.

As noted already the K-3 is basically dead, they are all converted to IR/CR-1 spouse visas.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

HandArrow.gif       Visa Process at USEM for the Philippines;  https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

2 hours ago, conklin6615 said:

Thank you, I was worried that I would have to have my marriage annulled in the PHILIPPINES. So you are saying that I could remarry in the Philippines or just bring her over with a K-1 visa?

You are a USC, not a naturalized citizen?

Annulment is not needed, and as a USC you should be fine to get married by producing a copy of your divorce decree ..  the Recognition of Divorce stuff has been pushed around more lately, just because it has been adjusted to allow Filipinos to use recognition of divorce also .. so there is confusion as to how some LCR (local registry) react to this.

Or you could do the K-1 with ease

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

HandArrow.gif       Visa Process at USEM for the Philippines;  https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

13 hours ago, Hank_ said:

You are a USC, not a naturalized citizen?

Annulment is not needed, and as a USC you should be fine to get married by producing a copy of your divorce decree ..  the Recognition of Divorce stuff has been pushed around more lately, just because it has been adjusted to allow Filipinos to use recognition of divorce also .. so there is confusion as to how some LCR (local registry) react to this.

Or you could do the K-1 with ease

Thank you, cheers!

On 10/24/2019 at 4:41 AM, conklin6615 said:

I'm thinking since you initially married in the Philippines your marriage was automatically recorded there and even though you divorced in the US I'm not sure if you can again marry in the Philippines since your CEMAR is going to show that you are still married. It is correct that you can remarry anywhere else, but just not the Philippines. Especially your ex she will never be able to marry again in the Philippines until she clears her CEMAR. As long as her CEMAR shows she is married to you she is the legal wife IN THE PHILIPPINES! There is a lot of confusion on this subject self created by the Philippine Government. At minimum you might want to check thoroughly if you are able to marry again IN THE PHILIPPINES.

event.png

event.png

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.