vince88

Apply DL in CA while waiting for SSN

14 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Is it possible to apply a DL in CA straight away while waiting for a SSN card to arrive after POE? or do we need to get the SS card first to apply for a DL?

any advice will be appreciated.

4 minutes ago, vince88 said:

Is it possible to apply a DL in CA straight away while waiting for a SSN card to arrive after POE? or do we need to get the SS card first to apply for a DL?

any advice will be appreciated.

Best source of info for you would be to look directly on the California state DMV website to see what their criteria for DLs are.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

To get a RealID-compliant regular CA license as a non-US citizen, you'll need an SSN (and card in the same name as your ID) if you're eligible for one and EAD or a GC (see https://realid.dmv.ca.gov/your-real-id-checklist/ ).

If you don't have all of those documents, you can look into getting an AB60 license (the ones illegal immigrants can get), but that's not a valid ID for domestic air travel (though your GC is).

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

3 minutes ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

but that's not a valid ID for domestic air travel (though your GC is).

Or even just a passport.

Timeline

Been trying to find something on CA DMV web but seems like there're no info regarding my question. I just want to know if I can make an appointment for applying a DL application and taking the written test first while waiting for my SS card to arrive. However, seems like I'll need to wait for my SS card first before I can make any move.

Edited by vince88

OP,  to be safe, I would recommend just waiting until your SS card arrives, assuming you applied for it shortly after POE?   I am not sure of the process for acquiring an SSN for your visa type.  

We live in Washington, and my husband drove using his NZ license for the first month he was here, without an issue.  

Timeline
33 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

OP,  to be safe, I would recommend just waiting until your SS card arrives, assuming you applied for it shortly after POE?   I am not sure of the process for acquiring an SSN for your visa type.  

We live in Washington, and my husband drove using his NZ license for the first month he was here, without an issue.  

I might contact them directly when I arrived because it can take around 2-3 weeks to receive SSN and in California we can only use foreign license for 10 days after being a resident while in Washington it'll be valid for 30 days.

3 minutes ago, vince88 said:

I might contact them directly when I arrived because it can take around 2-3 weeks to receive SSN and in California we can only use foreign license for 10 days after being a resident while in Washington it'll be valid for 30 days.

yeah, it seems like there's no way to do this correctly, as there's almost zero chance of getting your SSN within 10 days!

40 minutes ago, stephanie918 said:

yeah, it seems like there's no way to do this correctly, as there's almost zero chance of getting your SSN within 10 days!

Really brings home the notion that one should head to the SSA the day after POE.  Good luck to you both 🙂

Timeline

Luckily, they do the SS thingy electronically now so one doesn't need to visit SSA office if they opt to do so when filling the DS260 form.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
17 hours ago, vince88 said:

Been trying to find something on CA DMV web but seems like there're no info regarding my question. I just want to know if I can make an appointment for applying a DL application and taking the written test first while waiting for my SS card to arrive. However, seems like I'll need to wait for my SS card first before I can make any move.

Despite all the encouragement to make an appointment by the CA DMV, you can just walk in and wait to get a driver's license, learner's permit, or state ID (you need an appointment for the road test, though). Though you'll probably have to wait around for over an hour at the DMV.

I don't know if your area is any different than around here, but the next available appointments at nearby offices for us weren't for months, so I just ended up going to an office open on Saturday and waiting around when I got a RealID (and tried to get a learner's permit for my wife, but it turned out we needed to update her SS card with her married name first; that's done now, so trying again this weekend).

Edited by DaveAndAnastasia
K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Timeline
33 minutes ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

Despite all the encouragement to make an appointment by the CA DMV, you can just walk in and wait to get a driver's license, learner's permit, or state ID (you need an appointment for the road test, though). Though you'll probably have to wait around for over an hour at the DMV.

I don't know if your area is any different than around here, but the next available appointments at nearby offices for us weren't for months, so I just ended up going to an office open on Saturday and waiting around when I got a RealID (and tried to get a learner's permit for my wife, but it turned out we needed to update her SS card with her married name first; that's done now, so trying again this weekend).

that's good to know. I might just walking in if unable to make an appointment and hopefully they'll allow me to take the written test first so as soon as I received my SS card I can book the driving test.

Will update how it goes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.