Aiydee

Should I fill out DS-261

27 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I got an email with case number and invoice id number (no letter yet). The email was sent to my spouse (the beneficiary) and myself.

Do I still need to fill the DS-261 (I didn't see where to do that)?

When I logged in, it only showed Pay Now for AOS AND IV fee.

23 minutes ago, Aiydee said:

I got an email with case number and invoice id number (no letter yet).

The letter is identical to the email and you will receive it in Post Office mail. 

23 minutes ago, Aiydee said:

Do I still need to fill the DS-261 (I didn't see where to do that)?

It's optional.

24 minutes ago, Aiydee said:

When I logged in, it only showed Pay Now for AOS AND IV fee

That's fine. You pay the fees, wait a few days then fill in the DS-260. 

Timeline

Thanks. I'm concerned about the ds 261 - designating an agent. We don't have a lawyer and the email was sent to both of us. So do I still fill it out? I don't see the form anywhere.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline
46 minutes ago, Aiydee said:

Thanks. I'm concerned about the ds 261 - designating an agent. We don't have a lawyer and the email was sent to both of us. So do I still fill it out? I don't see the form anywhere.

That form is almost becoming obsolete as most people choose the petitioner and beneficiary as agents.

Reason why both you of received the email.

If you used a lawyer, that's when filling the form would have been relevant.

We didn't have to fill the form (it wasn't even open for filling anyways) because we didn't use a lawyer and we got Case Complete about a week ago.

Just pay the fees first.

When it changes to "paid" (after about three working days), go ahead and fill in the DS-260.

After that you can start uploading the necessary documents that have been asked of both of you.

It's an easy process. Don't overthink it.

Good luck!

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Aiydee said:

Thank you so much! I am just afraid of missing a step and delaying things.

Your worry right now should be paying the fees first.

Without that your case will NOT move forward.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Andy & Val said:

Your worry right now should be paying the fees first.

Without that your case will NOT move forward.

I have paid the fees and it says "in process". So I am assuming the next step would be to submit the DS-260 after the fees clear then upload documents?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Aiydee said:

I have paid the fees and it says "in process". So I am assuming the next step would be to submit the DS-260 after the fees clear then upload documents?

Positive!

Assembling the Affidavit of Support documents should be your next major worry if still to.

That's the "elephant in the room" for most people.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Andy & Val said:

Positive!

Assembling the Affidavit of Support documents should be your next major worry if still to.

That's the "elephant in the room" for most people.

Thank you for your help. I have all my documents ready and waiting for time to upload them.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Aiydee said:

I just got online to fill out the ds 260 but the system isn't responding.

So...  I just discovered the system IS responding, just VERY slow

Timeline
5 hours ago, Andy & Val said:

Have you started uploading yet?

CEAC is open again.

do you know what photographs they are asking for? I am currently uploading documents

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Aiydee said:

do you know what photographs they are asking for? I am currently uploading documents

They are asking for a 2x2 passport style photograph.

Upload just one.

What I did was that I didn't print the picture.

I had the negative saved in my memory stick and uploaded it to the CEAC site directly.

It worked out perfectly.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.