JL08

Retired US Army

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
On 10/22/2019 at 7:33 AM, JL08 said:

I understand however on the form its says job for the last 5 yrs.

He has been retired for 6yrs.

Should we leave it empty?

No, it started 6 years ago but it is still the same status. So you will still put it down. 

however I don’t know if disability, is same as retirement? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
On 10/24/2019 at 7:49 PM, Naes said:

No, it started 6 years ago but it is still the same status. So you will still put it down. 

however I don’t know if disability, is same as retirement? 

What should we put in there?

US ARMY (RETIRED)

OR

US ARMY (MEDICALLY RETIRED)

how about the address? And start date ?

• 4 months later...
On 10/13/2019 at 2:01 AM, Sarge2155 said:

I hope that is not what he told you about paying taxes, because that would be a red flag for you from jump street. I'm retired Army too, although it would be nice not to have to pay taxes cause I was retired,  but that's hardly the case and TOTALLY false.

Sarge, I don’t if it was my fiancé that posted this originally or not but the circumstances fit our situation perfectly. I was medically retired from active duty U.S. ARMY in 2013. My retired pay is considered military disability pay and is not taxable in either end but it is offset by my VA Pension, which is also considered military disability pay and is non taxable on both ends. I also receive Combat Related Special Compensation, which is also considered a disability income and is therefore tax free on both ends. I have not had to file federal or state income taxes since I retired (except for the year I retired because I had earned income for most of that year) other than that, not only do I not “have” to file taxes but if I even tried it would be an empty form. My fiancé and I have known each other for years and we live together and have lived together for years. We have joint bank accounts, own property together. You guys are spitting out a lot of very ill informed information on here, especially the whole “have you even met” stuff or the retired Air Force guy talking about taxes everyone knows that they’re only two branches of the military, the Army and the Navy because the Air Force is a corporation and the Marine Corp is a cult. But like I said, I don’t know if this was my fiancé’s post or not, I will ask, but these circumstances fit me exactly so I thought I would help inform you well meaning citizens where you are mistaken. We are on top of it, we have an immigration attorney and an account giving us advice. 

1 hour ago, SapperTeamLeader said:

Sarge, I don’t if it was my fiancé that posted this originally or not but the circumstances fit our situation perfectly. I was medically retired from active duty U.S. ARMY in 2013. My retired pay is considered military disability pay and is not taxable in either end but it is offset by my VA Pension, which is also considered military disability pay and is non taxable on both ends. I also receive Combat Related Special Compensation, which is also considered a disability income and is therefore tax free on both ends. I have not had to file federal or state income taxes since I retired (except for the year I retired because I had earned income for most of that year) other than that, not only do I not “have” to file taxes but if I even tried it would be an empty form. My fiancé and I have known each other for years and we live together and have lived together for years. We have joint bank accounts, own property together. You guys are spitting out a lot of very ill informed information on here, especially the whole “have you even met” stuff or the retired Air Force guy talking about taxes everyone knows that they’re only two branches of the military, the Army and the Navy because the Air Force is a corporation and the Marine Corp is a cult. But like I said, I don’t know if this was my fiancé’s post or not, I will ask, but these circumstances fit me exactly so I thought I would help inform you well meaning citizens where you are mistaken. We are on top of it, we have an immigration attorney and an account giving us advice. 

Going back to the OP question my answer was spot on! You joined VJ less than an hour ago and this post just happens to be the first you engaged in. Read the original  post. There was no mention of being disabled at least  not in the post I answered. So perhaps your finacee does or at least then did not give all the facts  enough for me to answer correctly. She said you were retired  period!!!!!! Again my answer to that question was spot on!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
14 hours ago, SapperTeamLeader said:

Im not your fiance :) Thank you for clarifying this and we are not alone in this situation. It seems we are in the same boat we are still in our process of our K1 petition and waiting for our NOA2 and up until now we still havent get any answer what to present in case they will ask for tax papers and affidavit of support. Still trying to get answers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.