camerica

Canadian needs help regarding Canadian passport

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Any fellow Canadians who have recently (within last 2 years) filed for a new passport through the mail.

I am having a great deal of difficulty figuring out how to pay for my passport. I no longer have a Canadian bank account. My bank does NOT do CDN money orders or certified cheques. * (checks :))

I live in Pennsylvania and both Pittsburgh and Philly are a great distance from me. 

Can someone offer some ideas? And USPS NO LONGER issues international money orders. Someone also told me that Western Union does not as well. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

banks and post office do have international money orders

this is how i sent money to my daughter was an exchange student in Belgium

and as for certified checks i understand why as with the new technology on the internet ,  it is easy to create one that looks real so most banks don't like them 

a kid that use to work for a McDonald's used a logo from a bag from the restaurant and copy of signature of old check to make himself several fake pay checks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can pay with a US credit card. 

Atlanta Filer

08/17/19 : Filed for I-751 in Lewisville, TX

08/21/19 : Packet Received by USCIS

08/26/19 : Received 18 month Extension Letter - SRC 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Franklann said:

You can pay with a US credit card. 

Have you used this method? When I clicked on the credit/debit card section on Passport Canada, it said that is must be a Canadian credit or debit card.

Timeline
25 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

and as for certified checks i understand why as with the new technology on the internet ,  it is easy to create one that looks real so most banks don't like them 

a kid that use to work for a McDonald's used a logo from a bag from the restaurant and copy of signature of old check to make himself several fake pay checks

25 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

We use a major bank. They said they no longer do international money orders. The post office stopped issuing Canadian money order on August 30th.

Timeline
42 minutes ago, H&T said:

How about asking your friend or relatives in Canada write a check and send it to you?

I think I am going to have to transfer money to them and get them to get me a Canadian postal money order. Always so much stress regarding all of this! lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, I applied by mail and paid by filling out the payment section with a us credit card. 

Atlanta Filer

08/17/19 : Filed for I-751 in Lewisville, TX

08/21/19 : Packet Received by USCIS

08/26/19 : Received 18 month Extension Letter - SRC 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Franklann said:

Yes, I applied by mail and paid by filling out the payment section with a us credit card. 

Okay then. I guess I misunderstood what was in the instructions for 'applying from the USA' . Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 10/7/2019 at 11:26 AM, Franklann said:

So, I had sent an email to Passport Canada, initially, asking if I could use an American credit card. I got a prompt reply which was surprising. "The card must be a Canadian debit or credit card". After seeing your response, I sent another email with the initial reply attached. I received an answer a few days later stating: A USA credit or debit card can be used. Please be advised though, that the funds will be in Canadian dollars." :) Thanks so much!

• 5 weeks later...
Timeline

So, thanks to all for the various suggestions. In the end I can use my Wells Fargo credit card to pay. But, a catch, or sorts. Wells Fargo monitors charges which is a good thing. However, because my charge will be to "Received General of Canada" and they can not say for certain that everyone would see a note added to my account stating that I am allowing this charge, I now have to tell Customer Service that I will be in Canada for the next month so they allow "all Canadian charges". Even then, my bank manager that I may still get a notification on my phone asking if this charge is acceptable. She said if I do not answer promptly should I get this notification, they will deny the charge. Always something. 😦😂

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.