chuckandkim

Can we deduct the travel expense in 2005 Tax Return?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm wondering and very interested to know if anyone has done the following:

- Deduct ALL costs of your fiance's moving here to the US. This will include: 2 flight tickets for me to go back and bring her here, mileage, and hotel.

- Moving from Hochiminh City to Philadelphia, PA.

Cost total: $3000.

Can I do this? Given I do have all the receipts to show the cost of moving here. (ticket receipts, lodging, toll-receipt, gas receipt)

Thank you,

Chuck and Kim

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

- Deduct ALL costs of your fiance's moving here to the US. This will include: 2 flight tickets for me to go back and bring her here, mileage, and hotel.

Can I do this? Given I do have all the receipts to show the cost of moving here. (ticket receipts, lodging, toll-receipt, gas receipt)

Thank you,

Chuck and Kim

Moving expenses can be deducted if the move was over 50 miles for employment. The purpose of the move to the U.S. was to get married and is not deductible. If the subsequent move was for employment, those expenses may be deductible.

Edited by john_and_marlene

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Timeline

Thank you,

Chuck and Kim

Moving expenses can be deducted if the move was over 50 miles for employment. The purpose of the move to the U.S. was to get married. If the subsequent move was for employment, those expenses may be deductible.

My wife says that being my wife is like a full-time job.

Does that count?

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thank you,

Chuck and Kim

Moving expenses can be deducted if the move was over 50 miles for employment. The purpose of the move to the U.S. was to get married. If the subsequent move was for employment, those expenses may be deductible.

My wife says that being my wife is like a full-time job.

Does that count?

Funny, Kim said the same thing.... I just also found out the answer. Thank you for your quick response....

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

I knew you couldn't, but it would be funny if you could. That way, if anyone suggests that your non-USC spouse just married you for a green card, you could reply that you just married him or her for the tax deduction, so it all works out evenly.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

See IRS Publication 521 for an explanation of the rules for moving expense deductions.

Contrary to what's been posted here, the move doesn't have to be for the purpose of getting a new job, it just has to be closely related to the new job both in time and in place, as explained in publication 521. If you meet the time and distance tests described in that publication, you can deduct the expenses as described in that publication.

Most VJers will have no trouble meeting the distance test, but many will have trouble with the time test, due to the time it can take to get work authorization and the time required for the job hunt. Still, it's worth reading the rules to see if there's a chance you qualify.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Timeline
See IRS Publication 521 for an explanation of the rules for moving expense deductions.

Contrary to what's been posted here, the move doesn't have to be for the purpose of getting a new job, it just has to be closely related to the new job both in time and in place, as explained in publication 521. If you meet the time and distance tests described in that publication, you can deduct the expenses as described in that publication.

Most VJers will have no trouble meeting the distance test, but many will have trouble with the time test, due to the time it can take to get work authorization and the time required for the job hunt. Still, it's worth reading the rules to see if there's a chance you qualify.

Those coming on a CR1/IR1 or those lucky enough to get EAD and job soon enough may have a shot at this. The way I read it, you have to start your job close to your move (within a year is what they consider close if memory serves right) and you have to work in the new area (not neccessarily the same job) for 39 weeks. If that is 39 out of the year from moving or filing or either, I don't know. But I agree that it may be worth looking through that publication more closely.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.