Usaph

I-864 questions on householder/dependents for fiancee's son who will not be immigrating at this time

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Background.. My fiancee's son won't be immigrating with her during the K1/K2 visa process. This has been the plan as he lives across the world with her parents and we've been working on fiancee's paperwork and our wedding before this next step. I asked some questions during the K1 process here on what to put on forms and greatly appreciate the help. It seems that the best plan for us is for me to work on adoption paperwork after we're married and then immigration papers for him.

So, we're working on fiancee's AOS paperwork and have a few questions on I-864 for our situation.

• Part 3 - I checked #1 (sponsoring principal applicant, my fiancee). Do I need to check #3 (sponsoring a family member who will immigrate more than 6 months) since it'll be more than 6 months for sure?
  • Part 5 (household size)
    • #1 (principal applicant) - 1
    • #2 (myself) - 1
    • #5 - Do I enter 1 for my fiancee's son? Fiancee won't be working obviously until she gets authorization, and her parents will be supporting/raising him, and he's not currently in our household and won't be for a while. I'd think no but what are the rules for our situation?

Thanks for the guidance!

Edited by Usaph
Added details

• Usaph changed the title to I-864 questions on householder/dependents for fiancee's son who will not be immigrating at this time

The "sponsoring a family member who will immigrate more than 6 months" etc is really for immigrants who already have started the visa process or who have been approved and will just come later as follow to joins.

It's safe to leave him out as your plans are to apply for a separate visa petition for him.

Timeline
8 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

The "sponsoring a family member who will immigrate more than 6 months" etc is really for immigrants who already have started the visa process or who have been approved and will just come later as follow to joins.

It's safe to leave him out as your plans are to apply for a separate visa petition for him.

Ok so I will leave that checkbox empty. Would household size just be me and my wife?

2 hours ago, Usaph said:

Ok so I will leave that checkbox empty. Would household size just be me and my wife?

Who else did you have in mind?/you havent explained your living or taxation etc situation so I am unable to advise.

Timeline
3 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Who else did you have in mind?/you havent explained your living or taxation etc situation so I am unable to advise.

It will just be me and my wife, with me being the source of income until she gets employment authorization. My income is well above the poverty line.

While her son won't be living in our household, I was wondering if indirectly I need to include him even though her parents will be raising him.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Usaph said:

It will just be me and my wife, with me being the source of income until she gets employment authorization. My income is well above the poverty line.

While her son won't be living in our household, I was wondering if indirectly I need to include him even though her parents will be raising him.

Member of your household,  meaning is he living in your house.   Read carefully,  interpret literally 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.