Hope7

Question regarding housing situation

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a question that I was hoping you could help me out with. 

My SO is living with his parents currently. I might have to live with him and his parents initially.

My question is, what income requirements would apply? If he makes enough annually on his own (more than the required ~ 22K) to take care of himself and me would that be okay? Or does the fact that he lives with his parents and sister increase the income requirement? 

I guess I want to know if we can put his parents’ address in the application while taking care of the financial requirements ourselves. 

Thank you. 

Edited by Hope7
More info

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
On 9/9/2019 at 2:28 AM, Hope7 said:

My SO is living with his parents currently. I might have to live with him and his parents initially.

My question is, what income requirements would apply? If he makes enough annually on his own (more than the required ~ 22K) to take care of himself and me would that be okay? Or does the fact that he lives with his parents and sister increase the income requirement? 

I guess I want to know if we can put his parents’ address in the application while taking care of the financial requirements ourselves. 

Thank you. 

Your housing situation shouldn't matter at the K1 visa stage. The only requirement for the K1 is that your petitioner meets the income requirement. There are no questions on the I-134 about housing. That said, if the question comes up during the interview, probably best to explain to the CO that your plan is to stay with his parents temporarily while you get your feet on the ground, and then move into your own place soon after. This will become more of an issue when you have your AOS interview, especially if you file for AOS after the Trump administration's new guidelines go into effect on October 15, 2019. At that point, your housing situation probably will be taken into consideration as part of the "totality of circumstances'.

Edited by Hemutian
clarification

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 9/8/2019 at 2:28 PM, Hope7 said:

Thank you. 

Unless he lists his parents on his tax return they don't count in regards to the financial support evidence.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

5 hours ago, Hemutian said:

Your housing situation shouldn't matter at the K1 visa stage. The only requirement for the K1 is that your petitioner meets the income requirement. There are no questions on the I-134 about housing. That said, if the question comes up during the interview, probably best to explain to the CO that your plan is to stay with his parents temporarily while you get your feet on the ground, and then move into your own place soon after. This will become more of an issue when you have your AOS interview, especially if you file for AOS after the Trump administration's new guidelines go into effect on October 15, 2019. At that point, your housing situation probably will be taken into consideration as part of the "totality of circumstances'.

Thank you. 

I hadn’t heard of these new guidelines before now. Where can I read more about that? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Hope7 said:

Thank you. 

I hadn’t heard of these new guidelines before now. Where can I read more about that? 

Be prepared. This thread is 43 pages long...

Could I trouble somebody for a quick summary of the ruling and how it impacts the K1 visa process?

I'd prefer not to scroll through 43 pages of comments, (but I did read the first three).

Thank you!

Edit:  Actually I found a pretty good article linked in the thread that I will put here:

https://www.boundless.com/blog/public-charge-rule-explained/

Edited by Jacen7

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.