nanodice

Driver's License with Green Card

12 posts in this topic

I have already received my green card and have completed my online education course, but I'm confused by some of the process.

How did you guys get a learner's permit to schedule to get in line online? Or can we not get that? 

Do you just walk in to the DPS and say you want to schedule a driving exam and wait?

You didn't mention which state you are trying to get a drivers license in.  Every state is different.   When my husband arrived:

• No appointment
  • No learners permit
  • No driving test
  • Took an exam on computer, eye exam and a "recognize the signs without the words" test.   
  • Showed Dutch drivers license, greencard and other docs are required.   
  • Got a temp drivers license and real one was mailed to him within 10 days (like anyone in my state).

This was in North Carolina.    Your state may be different.   You can try calling them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Depends completely upon in which state you are applying........a search of that state's drivers license procedures should get the information you want.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

I would highly suggest that you use the Texas online appointment system to schedule an appointments or taking tests........I have used it several times, and it cuts waiting time significantly.  It's called "Get in line online"

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/OnlineServices.htm

General information regarding Texas drivers license requirements is located here:  https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/ApplyforLicense.htm

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 minute ago, missileman said:

I would highly suggest that you use the online appointment system to schedule an appointments or taking tests........I have used it several times, and it cuts waiting time significantly.  It's called "Get in line online"

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/OnlineServices.htm

General information regarding Texas drivers license requirements is located here:  https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/ApplyforLicense.htm

Thank you missileman, I did see that, but it's asking for a Driving License Number. How do I get that?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, nanodice said:

Thank you missileman, I did see that, but it's asking for a Driving License Number. How do I get that?

You can use this link https://www.dps.texas.gov/driverlicense/getinline.aspx?location=https://getinline.dps.texas.gov/wa-services/txdpsservices/waweb/default.aspx?siteid=TXDPS604  to make an appointment at the DPS office.  Then choose First-Time Texas DL/ID Card or Permit

10 minutes ago, missileman said:

You can use this link https://www.dps.texas.gov/driverlicense/getinline.aspx?location=https://getinline.dps.texas.gov/wa-services/txdpsservices/waweb/default.aspx?siteid=TXDPS604  to make an appointment at the DPS office.  Then choose First-Time Texas DL/ID Card or Permit

Okay, thank you!

All it says is that no offices can serve me. I think I'm just going to do a walk-in.

Timeline
Just now, nanodice said:

Okay, thank you!

All it says is that no offices can serve me. I think I'm just going to do a walk-in.

OK...Good luck......hopefully, you will not have to wait a long time.....but to make an appointment, I would suggest trying to get in line online at 8:30 am........they normally open the appointments for that day only....Once that day's appointments are full, they close the online system until the next morning..... 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

Difficult to get an appt

To get a learners permit, go to the drivers license, take a number, wait.

Make sure you have ID, SS card, and proof of car insurance 

Once you have a learners permit you can be added to insurance at no charge.

THEN:  Take a private driving course.  Use one who can give you an official driving test so you dont have to schedule a test from the DMV

They’ll give you the test, a certificate of completion for the course, AND the certificate that you passed the driving test.

Return to the drivers license office and apply for the license.

10 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

Difficult to get an appt

To get a learners permit, go to the drivers license, take a number, wait.

Make sure you have ID, SS card, and proof of car insurance 

Once you have a learners permit you can be added to insurance at no charge.

THEN:  Take a private driving course.  Use one who can give you an official driving test so you dont have to schedule a test from the DMV

They’ll give you the test, a certificate of completion for the course, AND the certificate that you passed the driving test.

Return to the drivers license office and apply for the license.

Texas will let you waive SSN, but you have to sign some type of paper. Just a FYI

ChickBoy

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Falcon Cara said:

Texas will let you waive SSN, but you have to sign some type of paper. Just a FYI

It’s a waiver form but it’s a pain.

Rare for a green card to be issued before a SS card

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.