Iamdown2019

Received RFE. Can I leave the states now?

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

First, thanks for your time reading my post. I know it's a little long, but I am so desperate. I have not slept well the past 2 weeks, and I really appreciate any of your help.

I filed N-400 in 02/2019 and had the interview 2 weeks ago. I did pass but IO said he needed a certified copy of my court disposition regarding I broke a school laptop and kept it for repair, police came to ask me and I turned it in in 02/2014. I received a disorderly ticket for that. Money was paid, no trial or jail time. I did listed and explained everything on my N-400 and also during the interview. IO said he needed to see how the incident "was resolved" and that he would request for a certified copy of the court disposition. I did hand him the public court record of me, but he said that did not count since it was not a certified copy.

The RFE came 2 days later asking for court/arrest record of what happened on 03/07/2014.

I returned to court and asked for certified copy of the disposition. Court lady said the case was too old. She instead wrote a letter stating she could not find any record of said docket number on that date 03/07/2014, and had the judge signed the letter. I called a couple of lawyers and the 2 that answered said to me it would be fine and there was nothing else I could do, worst case I get denied and they will help from that.

After I responded to the RFE, I just realized that I made a honest mistake. The ticket was issued on 02/26/2014, but I stated 03/07/2014 on my N-400 which was the filed date (I guess the date the court received my payment and processed it). I put the filed date instead of arrest date on my N-400. Now I live in fear that the USCIS would think I lied on my N-400 although I did uploaded a non-certified public record of my case which said "Arrest date: Blank - Disp Date: 03/07/2014". It was obviously an honest mistake since I backed it up with the public record that I had, but I still cannot get rid of the fear and shaking.

I have a planned trip to travel back to my country to arrange the wedding I will have next year. Does it sound like a bad idea to travel now? And what do you think about my case?

Again, thank you for your time reading and helping.

Sincerely,

K.

Edited by Iamdown2019

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

IO will understand and hopefully, you will be fine.  IO just want an official copy to close your case and approve it, you are honest and disclose everything, so you will be fine.  At this stage, you have noting to do , wait and get your approval.  I would go ahead and enjoy the planned trip.

• 1 month later...

Quick update for anyone's got into the same situation: Do not panic like I did. I got my ceremony scheduled 1 month after I mailed the RFE respond. I officially became an American citizen on last Friday. I know it is stressful to go through process like this, but if you have a minor disorderly conduct ticket like I did, you will most likely end up just fine. IO(s) are humans too, and they understand we all make dumb mistakes.

I have gone through the whole thing without hiring an attorney and I still feel dumb about it today. If you have anything other than traffic tickets on your records, please, for the sake of not fighting this war alone, hire an attorney or at least have a consultation with them before you file the N-400. Because you know, when I got told that I needed to respond to the RFE, I felt hopeless and helpless. You don't deserve to go through all the fear and to fight alone. 

Good luck, everyone!

Special thanks to: USS_Voyager and dilip for your kind words and keeping me up during the waiting. I have been superrrrrr happy since I got the ceremony letter. 

Edited by Iamdown2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.