MexicoExpat

DCF in Mexico City - File now or in January in our situation?

30 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, MexicoExpat said:

unable to do anything until Migracion decides they'll actually give us our residency cards. 

Once you have hers, and submit the packet if you have a copy of your old card and the renewal paperwork.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

I've been told i need my physical card as well to submit the I-130. I guess I could always try with the copy of the previous one and letter of the extension. Though I would have to get all fo those translated.

I'm guessing the worst case scenario is they would turn me away and I could book another appointment for when I receive the card?

5 hours ago, MexicoExpat said:

Though I would have to get all fo those translated.

They do  not need to be translated since they are in Spanish and you are filing within Mexico.

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

I have a question related to this topic and need advice.  I’m planning to move to Mexico and apply for temporary residency and bring my husband there on a tourist visa so we can be together.  We want to apply for spousal visa back to US thru the field office in Mexico City.  Does he also need to get temporary residency in Mexico for us to do this or do I just need it?  Also if he has to have residency can he do it while in Mexico on a tourist visa?  I am planning to make this move relatively soon, within the next 2-3 months but need some of those proverbial ducks in a row.  It’s also my understand I do not need a tourist visa to stay 6 months since I am a US citizen.  Anything you can share will be appreciated.

If you are doing this to get him to the US faster, don't.  First you will need to apply for Mexican Permanent residence at a consulate in the US.   That can take months.  The VISA is a single use. Once you go to Mexico, you need to go to INM and apply for the "Green Card"/ Processing can take upto 3  months.  Mary had her's in 6 weeks, but we lived in a small town that had a local office and not a lot of work.  If your husband is supporting himself he does the same process in his home country. If you are sponsoring him you would need to do so after you got the green card and from his own country.   

If you are doing this to live with him, then I would go for it, but probably file stateside now.

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-offices/mexico-uscis-mexico-city-field-office

33 minutes ago, parke111 said:

It’s also my understand I do not need a tourist visa to stay 6 months since I am a US citizen.

Only if you are in the border zone and stay under 72 hours.  You will not be able to get any of the supporting residence documents you need on a tourist visa.

Another issue to bring up is showing that you have re-established domicile and that you have sponsorship lined up.

Thank you for the information but not sure I understand all of the advise.  I am planning to get a tourist visa for each of us.  His we were going to get in his country.  Are you saying that if we enter on a six month tourist we cannot apply for temporary residency once we are there.  Who knows we may decide to stay there. And yes we have decided it’s time for us to be together where ever that happens to land us.  I can’t move to his country because I can’t get health insurance there and it’s too far to come back to the us for medical care if needed.

also, do I need Mexican sponsership to apply for temporary residency.

3 hours ago, parke111 said:

Are you saying that if we enter on a six month tourist we cannot apply for temporary residency once we are there.

You have to apply for residency for Mexico from the Mexican Consulate that has jurisdiction where you currently live - similar to the US procedure.  You normally can not adjust from a tourist visa, marrying a Mexican National or having familial connections being a notable exceptions.

https://movetomexicoguide.com/applying-for-mexican-residency-programs-when-you-are-outside-mexico/

4 hours ago, parke111 said:

do I need Mexican sponsership to apply for temporary residency.

There is not really a sponsorship for your case.  You either have the savings or income to warrant your residency.

Once you get to Mexico you go into IMN and do the CANJE to get the card.

USCIS might accept him with a tourist visa.   The whole process in Mexico will take over 6 months, getting a green card and then filing.

You definitely have to have some sort of residency.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On 9/7/2019 at 2:26 PM, MexicoExpat said:

I've been told i need my physical card as well to submit the I-130. I guess I could always try with the copy of the previous one and letter of the extension. Though I would have to get all fo those translated.

I'm guessing the worst case scenario is they would turn me away and I could book another appointment for when I receive the card?

Unfortunately the resident cards / proof of residency are a pre-requisite to qualify for DCF processing.

9 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

Unfortunately the resident cards / proof of residency are a pre-requisite to qualify for DCF processing.

Would a copy of the previous residency card and the letter I received when extending suffice though? I could see that being considered proof of residency, but could also see it not counting. 

The Migracion office here in CDMX is truly awful as of late. At this point, my whole plan to do DCF seems to come down to Mexico processing my residency card in a reasonable timeframe.

Timeline
33 minutes ago, MexicoExpat said:

Would a copy of the previous residency card and the letter I received when extending suffice though? I could see that being considered proof of residency, but could also see it not counting. 

The Migracion office here in CDMX is truly awful as of late. At this point, my whole plan to do DCF seems to come down to Mexico processing my residency card in a reasonable timeframe.

I believe it will be enough to get you started.  I am not sure how the office there does it but we were asked to come in, file I-130 in person, and show our proof of residency (original) as well as attach copies to the I-130

If you’re mailing it in the copies should be OK.

An expired card/renewal receipt (If the government there accepts that as proof) is as good as a valid / current card.

Edited by Nitas_man

Timeline
20 hours ago, parke111 said:

Thank you for the information but not sure I understand all of the advise.  I am planning to get a tourist visa for each of us.  His we were going to get in his country.  Are you saying that if we enter on a six month tourist we cannot apply for temporary residency once we are there.  Who knows we may decide to stay there. And yes we have decided it’s time for us to be together where ever that happens to land us.  I can’t move to his country because I can’t get health insurance there and it’s too far to come back to the us for medical care if needed.

also, do I need Mexican sponsership to apply for temporary residency.

You need to start your own thread

4 minutes ago, parke111 said:

Thank you so much for your kindly advice.  Thought this was a forum/blog to help each other with similar issues.  I’m out!

It is. Your questions at this point are more in relation to the process to obtaining Mexican residency. Starting your own thread will get you more relevant answers to your questions, as they won’t be mixed in with a thread of a different topic. 

Timeline
24 minutes ago, parke111 said:

Thank you so much for your kindly advice.  Thought this was a forum/blog to help each other with similar issues.  I’m out!

It is a forum to help each other out however it is not acceptable to hijack others threads.

For a question like this I’d suggest the regional forum.  

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to book my I-130 submission appointment today for the very end of October. Hopefully that give me enough time to get my residency card back (wife has hers now). I've been in twice in the past three weeks to ask them to expedite it, which they claim they are doing, but both times was told they could not give any sort of a time estimate whatsoever. 

Fingers crossed i get it back in the next 5 weeks. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.