billding

My fiance may have been exposed to TB. What to do?

6 posts in this topic

A relative visited my fiance's family and spent the long weekend with them. This said relative just tested positive for TB. My fiance didn't have a lot of interactions with the relative but we're still worried that it may cause us problems.

- Can my fiance go to SLEC to get tested? (We're still waiting on NOA2, it may be another 3 months until her K1 interview and medical exam.)

- If my fiance tests positive (whether at SLEC or at another hospital) can she get treated at SLEC?

- If she doesn't test positive, will they ask her if she was exposed to TB when she does her medical exam?

- Is she going to be subjected to more tests if she was exposed, even with a negative exam? What's the process and how long?

TIA

As I understand it, TB is still a big problem in the PHl. She can get preliminary tested. I think the incubation period for TB is 3 months so if she has contracted it (hopefully not so) it will be a while before symptoms are shown. This is why the medical questionnaire ask these questions.

If she is tested positive, obviously she will have to be treated. Everything takes time (months) for a clean bill of health. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, TXBill said:

A relative visited my fiance's family and spent the long weekend with them. This said relative just tested positive for TB. My fiance didn't have a lot of interactions with the relative but we're still worried that it may cause us problems.  The relative didn't wear a mask .. totally lacking consideration for others.  Is the relative on medication (6 month program) ?

- Can my fiance go to SLEC to get tested? (We're still waiting on NOA2, it may be another 3 months until her K1 interview and medical exam.)  She could get tested, but it may be too early.*  Could be about the time your petition is approved would be about the time she could test with more accurate results. IMHO

- If my fiance tests positive (whether at SLEC or at another hospital) can she get treated at SLEC?  If your fiancee does test positive for TB she may not want to get treated elsewhere (other than SLEC) as this could add another year of waiting AFTER the 6 months of treatment is completed.    

- If she doesn't test positive, will they ask her if she was exposed to TB when she does her medical exam?  ... for sure be honest in your answers.

- Is she going to be subjected to more tests if she was exposed, even with a negative exam? What's the process and how long?   SLEC follows CDC guidelines, not sure what CDC states in this situation .. but SLEC does, and will follow that procedure.   ;)  

TIA

^^

*  https://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/basics/exposed.htm

Of course it is entirely possible that she did not contract TB being she avoid close contact with the person.    🤞

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

11 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

^^

*  https://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/basics/exposed.htm

Of course it is entirely possible that she did not contract TB being she avoid close contact with the person.    🤞

Thanks Hank.

Do you know if SLEC treats patients who have yet to do their K1 medical exam? Knock on wood, but for example my fiance did contract TB and test positive before we get our approval, can she go to SLEC to start the treatment? That would at least shave off a couple weeks to a month or two, just in case.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
30 minutes ago, TXBill said:

Thanks Hank.

Do you know if SLEC treats patients who have yet to do their K1 medical exam? < NO they don't*.   Knock on wood, but for example my fiance did contract TB and test positive before we get our approval, can she go to SLEC to start the treatment? That would at least shave off a couple weeks to a month or two, just in case.  < not necessarily.

*St. Luke's is a hospital, of course a person can go to a doctor there to get treated.     Do take note, that St. Luke's hospital is not SLEC (St. Luke's Extension Clinic - which is the CDC authorized facility for visa medicals) so the one year delay very likely will still apply.    In your situation I would still lean towards a little patience and wait to see what the reality is for fact.

St. Luke's is one of the best rated hospitals in the Philippines, they are Mayo clinic affiliated even.   Still CDC does make all the rules.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

25 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

*St. Luke's is a hospital, of course a person can go to a doctor there to get treated.     Do take note, that St. Luke's hospital is not SLEC (St. Luke's Extension Clinic - which is the CDC authorized facility for visa medicals) so the one year delay very likely will still apply.    In your situation I would still lean towards a little patience and wait to see what the reality is for fact.

St. Luke's is one of the best rated hospitals in the Philippines, they are Mayo clinic affiliated even.   Still CDC does make all the rules.

Thanks, hopefully she's fine and all test will be negative.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.