spousewaitingvisa

passed tests (civic test, reading/writing test and N400 understanding test), but...

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

After naturalization interview last Friday with an ASL (American sign language) interpreter and USCIS examiner, my spouse (deaf) passed 6 questions on civic history and reading/writing test. Also, she confirmed all answers on all N400 questions and answered yes to support constitution and its questions. then my spouse was told to come back for a second interview. Examiner said "we will mail you a notice in two months."  I am not sure why the examiner said that.   Interpreter said "examiner said that there is some portion that was failed", but examiner told my spouse with thumbs up after my spouse answered all 6 questions and reading/writing portion.  What portion was failed?  (perplexing)

We checked the online status and it said "You attended your interview. You do not need to do anything at this time. We will let you know if we need anything else from you as we continue to review your application."  Estimated time is 4 months.  We began to worry.  Anyone has experience like this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Was your ROC approved before the interview or doing the interview maybe?

It's kind of sad that the interpreter couldn't get the answers you needed sounds like there weren't translated all good between the officer and you guys.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

Was your ROC approved before the interview or doing the interview maybe?

It's kind of sad that the interpreter couldn't get the answers you needed sounds like there weren't translated all good between the officer and you guys.

My spouse's ROC was approved last year as my spouse got IR1 green card.  We filed N400 online based on 3 years marriage.  Perhaps an interpreter was not good.  We will get a new interpreter (hopefully).  We felt upset. I still don't understand because examiner said thumbs up to my spouse..  My spouse answered all questions and writing/reading test.  It should be approved.  but the computer was crashed at the end of the interview as my spouse was about to sign the N400, then told my spouse thru an interpreter that some portion was failed and we were asked to come back for the second interview.  Probably it was the system that was down.   No traffic citation, no violations, clean record, we don't owe taxes as we filed taxes on time every year and paid taxes, just change of name (with court order on name changes based on marriage --  my spouse's last name became middle name and added my last name as my spouse's last name) . no change of address.  My spouse was supposed to be interviewed in Baltimore, MD (huge backlog) but interviewed in Fairfax, VA last Friday.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 minute ago, spousewaitingvisa said:

My spouse's ROC was approved last year as my spouse got IR1 green card.  We filed N400 online based on 3 years marriage.  Perhaps an interpreter was not good.  We will get a new interpreter (hopefully).  We felt upset. I still don't understand because examiner said thumbs up to my spouse..  My spouse answered all questions and writing/reading test.  It should be approved.  but the computer was crashed at the end of the interview as my spouse was about to sign the N400, then told my spouse thru an interpreter that some portion was failed and we were asked to come back for the second interview.  Probably it was the system that was down.   No traffic citation, no violations, clean record, we don't owe taxes as we filed taxes on time every year and paid taxes, just change of name (with court order on name changes based on marriage --  my spouse's last name became middle name and added my last name as my spouse's last name) . no change of address.  My spouse was supposed to be interviewed in Baltimore, MD (huge backlog) but interviewed in Fairfax, VA last Friday.

Not IR-1 GC. Just the permanent Green Card.

Okay well then it seems like he just have to come back to sign the oath part of the petition as that has to be signed at the interview in front of the officer. Seems like it was just the interpreter who didn't get that. Don't worry too much everything else went fine! :)

I concur...sounds like it went fine. I think there is a misunderstanding on "failure"...sounds more like they couldn't approve on the spot.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.