Hemutian

Resume required for K1 interview?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My fiancee's interview is next week. 

Just reviewing the latest K1 Visa Instructions as published by the Guangzhou Consulate, and stumbled across a requirement I don't recall seeing before. 

The item in question is a "resume". Specifically, the instructions state:

Provide a detailed resume (in both Chinese and English), including all professional and educational history. Please be sure to include the following information:
 A complete list of all of your employers and all specific job responsibilities and projects
 Any publications you have written. Note titles, descriptions and dates of all publications. Be as
comprehensive as possible.
 A list of all foreign destinations visited, including dates and purpose of travel.
 A work plan explaining where the applicant(s) will seek employment after immigrating to the United
States.

When I told my fiancee about this, her reaction was one of surprise. She went to consult her WeChat group, and the folks in her group who had previously gone through the process told her "oh, that's just for applicants with Master's degrees or above. You don't need to worry about that" (my fiancee's highest degree is high school).

I'm just a little skeptical, because the K1 instructions from the Guangzhou Consulate don't say anything about this requirement being "only for applicants with Master's degrees and above". Then again, the instructions state "Prepare the necessary forms and documents that pertain to you on the following checklist." Does this resume requirement "pertain" to my fiancee or not? Also, the "work plan" for employment in the US seems surprising. It's going to be a long time before my fiancee is allowed to work (AOS process). 

Can anyone who's been through the process recently share your experience. In your case, was a resume submitted at the interview stage?

Also, while I'm here, I have another question about the "Evidence of Relationship" requirement. I recall reading months ago on the general K1 forum that it is advisable for this part to bring

1) a carbon copy of every piece of evidence submitted at the I-129F phase

PLUS

2) new evidence showing the ongoing relationship AFTER the I-129F was filed

INCLUDING

3) NEW letters of intent to marry

Would everyone here agree that this is required and advisable? Is this what you all did?

Thank you so much for everyone's help. I'm sorry I've been such a pro-active asker of questions on here over the last few months. I hope I haven't pissed people off with my (sometimes trivial) questions. Hopefully, in the future, having been through the process I'll be able to contribute more as an answerer rather than asker of questions

Matt

Edited by Hemutian

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It's fairly rare that one is needed.

If one is required, it will be asked for AFTER the interview. Here is one recent story

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/49904-ap-approaching-7-months/

My fiance had his interview in Guangzhou on 2019-01-24. The interview was ~10 min, and the CO did ask about his PhD in Materials Science & Eng and also kept the resume my fiance brought. None of the instructions asked to bring a resume, but we wanted to be very prepared as my fiance is in a TAL field. After the interview, the CO gave my fiance the blue slip with only "Administrative Processing" marked and informed him there were no problems and the processing would take ~3 wks. 

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

Can you please provide the link where you saw this information as required? We did not see this when preparing for our interview, so it would be helpful to see the link.

To answer your question, we did not prepare a resume for my fiancee. The topic did not come up with the CO. My guess here is that this is relevant for individuals that will be working in classified fields in the US, as the government likely will need to perform additional background checks. For example, if your fiancee was working as a rocket scientist or AI researcher and had an advanced degree in these areas, there would be some risk that she may be an intelligence risk and they'd want to vet that further. IMO this is the risk they're worried about, so if your fiancee only has a high school degree and does not work in a classified field, doubt that they will request.

As far as evidence goes, recommended to CYA here and bring everything. We brought a copy of everything included in the 129-F (although they should already have this on file), additional evidence of relationship from the I-129F filing through the interview date, and updated letters of intent to marry.

Of these items, the one that I hear as the most important is the updated letters of intent to marry. However, I don't believe that the consulate looked at any of this (we had provided a lot of evidence with the I-129F, as I had already made 3-4 visits) and they solely relied on the interview. In my opinion, better to be over prepared than under prepared. I'd much rather prepare evidence that is not looked at than have them request evidence that I do not have and be put into AP.

They did ask about the last time we saw each other. She was able to provide my passport to the CO (I accompanied her to GZ for the interview and gave her my passport for this purpose) to show that I was in-town for support. Not sure if this matters, but if you're going to be there for support, it can't hurt.

Overall the process was smooth. She went into the consulate, delivered the Affidavit information to a counter and then went on to the interview. The interviewer spoke both Chinese and English, so your fiancee should be able to use whichever language she is more comfortable in.

Hopet his helps and good luck!

Can you please provide the link where you saw this information as required? We did not see this when preparing for our interview, so it would be helpful to see the link.

To answer your question, we did not prepare a resume for my fiancee. The topic did not come up with the CO. My guess here is that this is relevant for individuals that will be working in classified fields in the US, as the government likely will need to perform additional background checks. For example, if your fiancee was working as a rocket scientist or AI researcher and had an advanced degree in these areas, there would be some risk that she may be an intelligence risk and they'd want to vet that further. IMO this is the risk they're worried about, so if your fiancee only has a high school degree and does not work in a classified field, doubt that they will request.

As far as evidence goes, recommended to CYA here and bring everything. We brought a copy of everything included in the 129-F (although they should already have this on file), additional evidence of relationship from the I-129F filing through the interview date, and updated letters of intent to marry.

Of these items, the one that I hear as the most important is the updated letters of intent to marry. However, I don't believe that the consulate looked at any of this (we had provided a lot of evidence with the I-129F, as I had already made 3-4 visits) and they solely relied on the interview. In my opinion, better to be over prepared than under prepared. I'd much rather prepare evidence that is not looked at than have them request evidence that I do not have and be put into AP.

They did ask about the last time we saw each other. She was able to provide my passport to the CO (I accompanied her to GZ for the interview and gave her my passport for this purpose) to show that I was in-town for support. Not sure if this matters, but if you're going to be there for support, it can't hurt.

Overall the process was smooth. She went into the consulate, delivered the Affidavit information to a counter and then went on to the interview. The interviewer spoke both Chinese and English, so your fiancee should be able to use whichever language she is more comfortable in.

On 8/20/2019 at 5:57 AM, Hemutian said:

Just reviewing the latest K1 Visa Instructions as published by the Guangzhou Consulate, and stumbled across a requirement I don't recall seeing before. 

I actually believe you are looking at the wrong instructions. The resume is listed on the IV Instructions, but there is no such requirement for K visas.

http://cdn.ustraveldocs.com/cn/IV Instructions-English Aug2019.pdf

http://cdn.ustraveldocs.com/cn/K Visa Instructions-English Aug2019.pdf

Make sure that you are following the K Visa Instructions rather than the IV Instructions. Technically the K Visa is a non-immigrant visa that is processed similarly to an immigrant visa due to the immigration intent.

Timeline
10 hours ago, samnrong said:

Thanks for the advice.

I'm confused, because I definitely have a document in my files titled "K Visa Instructions" from the US Consulate in Guangzhou, but I have no idea where I got it. It is different than the "K Visa Instructions" available here: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/K Visa Instructions-English Aug2019.pdf

I tried to find the source of the document by Googling chunks of text in it, but found nothing.

I can't attach it here because it exceeds VisaJourney's size limit, but I converted the PDF to a graphic and uploaded it to Imgur here so you can see what I'm talking about: https://imgur.com/a/c6SUkV8 (I circled the "resume" part in green).

This document looks mostly the same as the "K Visa Instructions" at ustraveldocs.com, with the exception of the resume requirement. 

Since my fiancee is not involved in any special or sensitive field, and since the requirements on ustraveldocs.com don't mention a resume, I guess we'll just ignore this.

One more question: I notice that the instructions also say that any "documents not in English" must be translated by a certified translator and notarized. 

I'm assuming that this applies to "official documents" such as birth certificate and police certificate, any document issued by the Chinese government.

However, we have lots of other pieces of evidence in our "evidence of relationship" folder which were in Chinese originally, and which I personally translated into English (I included a statement of translation, stating that I'm fluent in Chinese and English, with date, and signature). This includes things like plane tickets, train tickets, hotel reservations, and WeChat chat transcripts. Do you think that for this type of evidence, my personal translations are sufficient? Did you include anything like this? If I had to take all these files to an official translator AND get them notarized, that would be thousands of dollars in fees because there are so many pages of evidence. I'm perfectly fluent in Chinese so I really hope they don't disqualify us because I did the translations myself. I guess it comes down to the what the definition of "document" is , and I'm assuming "document" means "official documentation" not "personal receipts, chats, etc"

Timeline
10 hours ago, samnrong said:

I actually believe you are looking at the wrong instructions. The resume is listed on the IV Instructions, but there is no such requirement for K visas.

http://cdn.ustraveldocs.com/cn/IV Instructions-English Aug2019.pdf

http://cdn.ustraveldocs.com/cn/K Visa Instructions-English Aug2019.pdf

Make sure that you are following the K Visa Instructions rather than the IV Instructions. Technically the K Visa is a non-immigrant visa that is processed similarly to an immigrant visa due to the immigration intent.

No, that's not the document I was looking at. The document I'm referring to is labeled "K Visa Instructions". I included a link to it in my reply above. Here it is again: https://imgur.com/a/c6SUkV8

It seems like maybe someone at the Consulate made a copy-and-paste error, including pieces of the Immigrant visa in this set of instructions when it shouldn't have been there. 

2 minutes ago, Hemutian said:

Thanks for the advice.

I'm confused, because I definitely have a document in my files titled "K Visa Instructions" from the US Consulate in Guangzhou, but I have no idea where I got it. It is different than the "K Visa Instructions" available here: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/K Visa Instructions-English Aug2019.pdf

I tried to find the source of the document by Googling chunks of text in it, but found nothing.

I can't attach it here because it exceeds VisaJourney's size limit, but I converted the PDF to a graphic and uploaded it to Imgur here so you can see what I'm talking about: https://imgur.com/a/c6SUkV8 (I circled the "resume" part in green).

This document looks mostly the same as the "K Visa Instructions" at ustraveldocs.com, with the exception of the resume requirement. 

Since my fiancee is not involved in any special or sensitive field, and since the requirements on ustraveldocs.com don't mention a resume, I guess we'll just ignore this.

One more question: I notice that the instructions also say that any "documents not in English" must be translated by a certified translator and notarized. 

I'm assuming that this applies to "official documents" such as birth certificate and police certificate, any document issued by the Chinese government.

However, we have lots of other pieces of evidence in our "evidence of relationship" folder which were in Chinese originally, and which I personally translated into English (I included a statement of translation, stating that I'm fluent in Chinese and English, with date, and signature). This includes things like plane tickets, train tickets, hotel reservations, and WeChat chat transcripts. Do you think that for this type of evidence, my personal translations are sufficient? Did you include anything like this? If I had to take all these files to an official translator AND get them notarized, that would be thousands of dollars in fees because there are so many pages of evidence. I'm perfectly fluent in Chinese so I really hope they don't disqualify us because I did the translations myself. I guess it comes down to the what the definition of "document" is , and I'm assuming "document" means "official documentation" not "personal receipts, chats, etc"

They only mean official documents (birth certificate, police certificate, marriage/divorce, etc.)

No need to get plane tickets and the like translated officially. For what it's worth, I also compiled a large pile of evidence including plane tickets, hotels, and WeChat transcripts. The CO didn't look at any of this. Better to have in case they ask for it, but likely they won't even go through the trouble of looking at this, especially not if you had frontloaded your application with this info.

1 minute ago, Hemutian said:

No, that's not the document I was looking at. The document I'm referring to is labeled "K Visa Instructions". I included a link to it in my reply above. Here it is again: https://imgur.com/a/c6SUkV8

It seems like maybe someone at the Consulate made a copy-and-paste error, including pieces of the Immigrant visa in this set of instructions when it shouldn't have been there. 

I'd go based on what is on the US Travel Docs website. That is the official website the consulate uses and seems to have been updated for August.

Timeline
1 minute ago, samnrong said:

They only mean official documents (birth certificate, police certificate, marriage/divorce, etc.)

No need to get plane tickets and the like translated officially. For what it's worth, I also compiled a large pile of evidence including plane tickets, hotels, and WeChat transcripts. The CO didn't look at any of this. Better to have in case they ask for it, but likely they won't even go through the trouble of looking at this, especially not if you had frontloaded your application with this info.

That's good to know. Thanks.

Out of curiosity, do you think that the CO who does the interview has actually read through all the evidence front-loaded in the I-129F? Or at least, skimmed through it? 

21 minutes ago, Hemutian said:

That's good to know. Thanks.

Out of curiosity, do you think that the CO who does the interview has actually read through all the evidence front-loaded in the I-129F? Or at least, skimmed through it? 

It's my understanding that they have at a minimum skimmed through it. They have the case file ahead of time and I am under the impression they look at it previously. They have a computer screen with them that they look at, which I believe has all the information pulled up in real time.

Timeline

Since I'm the one who started this thread, and since my fiancee's now completed her interview, I just wanted to bring some closure to this thread.

The answer is that she did NOT need a resume at her interview. Oh, and she passed, so we're quite happy. Wish everyone else luck as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.