Jump to content
brazilk1visa

I-134 self employment or not

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, 

 

I have the consulate (Brazil) interview in 10 days and I am filling up the I-134 form. 

I am a freelancer, with my own business (LLC setup as an S-Corp), meaning I pay myself a salary through my business, so I have pay stubs and a W-2 from last year, even though I am self-emplyed. It is not a big company or anything like that, I am the only employee and I just use the business for invoicing etc...

 

I wasn't sure I should mark "Employed" or "Self-Employed" under the I-134's employment information section.

My lawyer said I should file as Self-employed and take my last return and pay-stubs to the interview. My paystubs this year put me above the poverty line for sure and I also have some money on my bank account.

 

I am super nervous about this being an uncommon situation and I don''t want to screw up my I-134. 

I just wanted to make sure I am doing the right thing

 

Is it confusing to the officer in the Consulate that I am self-employed but have pay-stubs?

Any recommendations? Should I bring anything extra?

 

Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, brazilk1visa said:

Anyone?

You are not self employed but employed by a different legal tax entity other than yourself. The fact that you are a shareholder in that entity doesn't matter 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, payxibka said:

You are not self employed but employed by a different legal tax entity other than yourself. The fact that you are a shareholder in that entity doesn't matter 

I understand your point and the is exactly why I am asking this question. But... the LLC flows into my personal taxes and it actually shows it in my tax return. Hence my question. I think it is weird to say I am employed by the same company and it might raise a red flag. But again, everyone I ask seem to have a different opinion on this and it is a 50/50 split...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brazilk1visa said:

I understand your point and the is exactly why I am asking this question. But... the LLC flows into my personal taxes and it actually shows it in my tax return. Hence my question. I think it is weird to say I am employed by the same company and it might raise a red flag. But again, everyone I ask seem to have a different opinion on this and it is a 50/50 split...

Your K1 from your LLC is investment income.   It just so happens you are an investor and employee


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, payxibka said:

Your K1 from your LLC is investment income.   It just so happens you are an investor and employee

So in my position, you would declare in the I-134 that you are an employee? How would you handle the employment letter? It would have to be written by yourself (my company is just me)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, brazilk1visa said:

So in my position, you would declare in the I-134 that you are an employee? How would you handle the employment letter? It would have to be written by yourself (my company is just me)

An employer letter is not even needed if your tax returns, w2 and paychecks show you’re above the poverty guidelines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, p-ana said:

An employer letter is not even needed if your tax returns, w2 and paychecks show you’re above the poverty guidelines. 

2 lawyers recommend that I claim I am self employed and show tax return from last year, w2 and pay checks. I think it is a little weird to say I am self employed but show paychecks, isn't it? I am really confused by this, I am sorry if I sound contradicting, it is because the information I am showing feels contradicting to me and I am not seeing a way out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, brazilk1visa said:

2 lawyers recommend that I claim I am self employed and show tax return from last year, w2 and pay checks. I think it is a little weird to say I am self employed but show paychecks, isn't it? I am really confused by this, I am sorry if I sound contradicting, it is because the information I am showing feels contradicting to me and I am not seeing a way out of it.

I am not a lawyer and I’m not familiar enough with US taxes to give advice

 

what I do know, specifically talking about the rdj consulate, the employer letter is not needed if your tax returns and paychecks show enough income for your household size

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, p-ana said:

I am not a lawyer and I’m not familiar enough with US taxes to give advice

 

what I do know, specifically talking about the rdj consulate, the employer letter is not needed if your tax returns and paychecks show enough income for your household size

thanks for sharing your opinion, I understand no one here is a lawyer, we are just sharing experiences and advice :) but do you think it is weird to show tax return and paychecks if I am claiming I am self employed? This is the part I believe is contradicting a little bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...