JMK_IT

Confused on Form I-693 validity for AoS Interview (adjusting from K1)

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

I found a lot of conflicting information online, looking for some clarity.

I did medical examination in my home country (IT) the day before my K-1 Interview, on March 6th 2018

According to the policy alert from October 16th 2018:

A Form I-693 is valid only when a civil surgeon signs it no more than 60 days before the date an applicant files the application for the underlying immigration benefit; and USCIS adjudicates the application within 2 years from the date of the civil surgeon’s signature.

I filed for my AoS on July 29th 2018, which was over 60 days from when the Civil Surgeon in Italy signed the form.

However, at the time of filing I had a missing vaccination, which I got once I moved to the US and before submitting my AoS packet (the second MMR dose).

Following the instructions (quoted below),  I visited a Civil Surgeon who filed parts 1, 5, 7, and 10 of form I-693 to transcribe the new vaccination in the record, gave it back to me in a sealed envelope, which I enclosed in the application. I didn't repeat the rest of the examination because according to the instructions I wasn't required. 

From the instructions of Form I-693:

3. What if I am a K nonimmigrant visa holder and already had a medical examination overseas?
You received a medical examination prior to admission, then:
(1) You are not required to have another medical examination as long as you file your Form I-485 within one year of an overseas medical examination
(2) Even if a new medical examination is not required, you must still show proof that you complied with the vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included as part of the original overseas medical examination report, you will need to have the Part 10. Vaccination Record completed by a designated civil surgeon. In this case, you must submit Parts 1. - 5., 7., and 10. of Form I-693.

Now, I have my AoS interview coming up in about two weeks, and I'm very confused about the validity dates. 

I didn't submit my full medical within 60 days from the signature date, but I did submit a partial one which was signed the week before sending my package. 

How do I know if I should do a new medical examination? 

Thank you to anyone who jumps in with some clarification. 

Facebook group: K-1 Visa Italia 

April 10 2018 US ENTRY (K-1 Visa) 

August 27 2019 GREEN CARD ISSUED

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Im assuming that the first quote you posted was for the actual K-1 Visa, not AOS. Maybe some can verify??..

As for the AOS, your medical is valid because you filed for AOS well within the 1 year of having your overseas medical.

We just did our AOS interview on July 31st. We filed AOS December 2018, my wife had her K-1 overseas medical done September 2018.

No need to redo medical! Try to relax, nothing to worry about here!

Timeline
22 minutes ago, GyC said:

Im assuming that the first quote you posted was for the actual K-1 Visa, not AOS. Maybe some can verify??..

That's exactly what confuses me. Does "underlying immigration benefit" refer to the K-1 Visa, or my AoS in this case?

On the USCIS policy manual I found the chart attached below, which confuses me even more.

In your case you submitted your AoS when the new policy came in act (after November 1st 2018), so your wife's I-693 is valid for 2 years in any circumstance. 

I'm just trying to figure out if the partial I-693 that I sent with my AoS package in July 2018 restarts my 60-day count.

If not so, then the full medical that I did in March 2018 expired in March 2019, because I didn't file my AoS within 60 days from that date. 

It's brain-frying, haha. Thank you for your help.

Forms submitted before 11-01-2018.PNG

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 minutes ago, JMK_IT said:

That's exactly what confuses me. Does "underlying immigration benefit" refer to the K-1 Visa, or my AoS in this case?

The form submitted by panel physicians is NOT i-693, so that chart doesn't apply to you at all. Panel physicians are not civil surgeons. Only reason why you, as K-1 filers, need to worry about I-693 if you have problems with your vaccinations (form DS-3025) 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Shiran said:

The form submitted by panel physicians is NOT i-693, so that chart doesn't apply to you at all. Panel physicians are not civil surgeons. Only reason why you, as K-1 filers, need to worry about I-693 if you have problems with your vaccinations (form DS-3025) 

That’s why I was feeling so lost. I’ve been thinking for this entire time that the overseas medical examination consisted in Form I-693 as well, and therefore K-Visa applicants were subjected to the rule. That’s why it made no sense. 

Thank you so much for clarifying, now it’s perfectly clear. 

(And also a relief that I don’t have to spend the extra $$$ to repeat the medical) 

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.