Nyro33

Streamline Procedure Confusion

10 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hello everyone

Thank you for reading this.

I am a USC that lived abroad for almost 5 years beginning in late 2014. I am in the CR1 visa process for my husband. Our petition has been approved and sent to NVC. I know that as part of the NVC process, I need to have IRS tax transcripts for the last 3 years.

I was unaware that US citizens must file taxes even if living abroad. Yes, I know...not smart. I did file with the streamline procedure to get myself in good standing. I was told that due to my low income abroad and high Israeli taxes, I am unlikely to owe anything. The IRS received the package of documents a little less than 60 days ago. I returned to the US a few weeks before they received the package.

My question is...when can I expect to have IRS transcripts available to use during the NVC process? As you can imagine, there is a time factor here. 

My other question is...how do I request the transcripts? I filed with my foreign address. Maybe because of this, when I try to request the transcripts online or on the phone, the system does not allow me to do so. Do I have to change my address to my new US address to do so? Is there a faster way than filing the change of address form and waiting 4-6 weeks and then requesting the transcripts?

Thank you for your help.

Edited by Nyro33

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Nyro33 said:

Hello everyone

Thank you for reading this.

I am a USC that lived abroad for almost 5 years beginning in late 2014. I am in the CR1 visa process for my husband. Our petition has been approved and sent to NVC. I know that as part of the NVC process, I need to have IRS tax transcripts for the last 3 years.

I was unaware that US citizens must file taxes even if living abroad. Yes, I know...not smart. I did file with the streamline procedure to get myself in good standing. I was told that due to my low income abroad and high Israeli taxes, I am unlikely to owe anything. The IRS received the package of documents a little less than 60 days ago. I returned to the US a few weeks before they received the package.

My question is...when can I expect to have IRS transcripts available to use during the NVC process? As you can imagine, there is a time factor here. 

My other question is...how do I request the transcripts? I filed with my foreign address. Maybe because of this, when I try to request the transcripts online or on the phone, the system does not allow me to do so. Do I have to change my address to my new US address to do so? Is there a faster way than filing the change of address form and waiting 4-6 weeks and then requesting the transcripts?

Thank you for your help.

I should note that the filings were complete well before I returned to the US, but were not received by the IRS by that time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

first did you file form 2555 to exclude the foreign income?

second you can check online to see when they are processed if for  a refund

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

third after use see if they are done ,   you can send to IRS for transcripts or walk into IRS office and pick them up (with ss card and photo ID)

Timeline
4 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

first did you file form 2555 to exclude the foreign income?

second you can check online to see when they are processed if for  a refund

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

third after use see if they are done ,   you can send to IRS for transcripts or walk into IRS office and pick them up (with ss card and photo ID)

Thank you JeanneAdil! I appreciate your help.

I am not sure if form 2555 was used. I hired a tax company to prepare the streamline since I wanted to make sure it was done correctly.

On the link you provided, do I put $0 for the refund if I am expecting no refund?

Would the IRS office provide transcripts the same day when visiting in person?

Thank you again.

Timeline
14 hours ago, Nyro33 said:

Thank you JeanneAdil! I appreciate your help.

I am not sure if form 2555 was used. I hired a tax company to prepare the streamline since I wanted to make sure it was done correctly.

On the link you provided, do I put $0 for the refund if I am expecting no refund?

Would the IRS office provide transcripts the same day when visiting in person?

Thank you again.

After the IRS site said my taxes were done,  i was able to pick the transcripts up in IRS office

Timeline
16 hours ago, Nyro33 said:

Ok, thank you. Did you file with the streamline procedure? Just want to understand if it's different at all.

no,  i filed paperwork here in the states

but all is the same when IRS gets the tax returns

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.