Teb Tengri

American Filing For Spouse Abroad

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm an American living in Mexico with my wife. As I understand, the first step is to file an I-130 and then after that the NVC will request documents?

Will I need my Mexican marriage certificate translated and apostilled? I receive a VA pension and thus don't file taxes. What documentation aside from a benefit award letter will/can I use for the I-864?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Teb Tengri said:

I'm an American living in Mexico with my wife. As I understand, the first step is to file an I-130 and then after that the NVC will request documents?

Will I need my Mexican marriage certificate translated and apostilled? I receive a VA pension and thus don't file taxes. What documentation aside from a benefit award letter will/can I use for the I-864?

No apostille required 

YMMV

Timeline

What about translation?

Where in Mexico do you reside?  You might be eligible to file with the uscis office in either Mexico city or Monterey.   It would be much faster if you are 

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Where in Mexico do you reside?  You might be eligible to file with the uscis office in either Mexico city or Monterey.   It would be much faster if you are 

Nowhere near either. We are in Mexicali. I can however cross into the US to mail things and receive mail in the US. 

I or we could probably arrange travel to CDMX or Monterrey If it would expedite things.

Timeline

Nowhere near either. We are in Mexicali. I can however cross into the US to mail things and receive mail in the US. 

I or we could probably arrange travel to CDMX or Monterrey If it would expedite things.

The uscis office in CDJ recently closed so not sure which of the remaining offices took jurisdiction.  If you can file locally you can complete the process in months rather than more than a year

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

The uscis office in CDJ recently closed so not sure which of the remaining offices took jurisdiction.  If you can file locally you can complete the process in months rather than more than a year

Not a huge rush, we still need to figure out what we're going to do with her daughter. As I understand we need the father's permission and he's a deadbeat douchebag and may not give it.

He's also a US citizen so we've debated suing for child support in the US to put pressure on him to either allow the kid to cross or relinquish rights 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
11 hours ago, Teb Tengri said:

Not a huge rush, we still need to figure out what we're going to do with her daughter. As I understand we need the father's permission and he's a deadbeat douchebag and may not give it.

He's also a US citizen so we've debated suing for child support in the US to put pressure on him to either allow the kid to cross or relinquish rights 

If the daughter is eligible for citizenship NOW, through her father, then that is what must be pursued.  She cannot get a visa if she is entitled to be a citizen NOW.  Sort this out first.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
11 hours ago, Teb Tengri said:

Your declaration letter is all you need for the I-864 but that doesn't go in with the I-130.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.