Mo & Jo

USCIS misplaced my file after naturalization interview was scheduled

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hello,

So, I had my interview for naturalization scheduled for 07/31/19. Studied my civics, gathered my papers and presented myself to the interview. When they called my name, the officer pulled me aside and apologized, explaining he could not interview me because they did not have my file. I was pretty shocked, after all, I had received my interview letter back in June, so I would have never expected this. He said the file "may be somewhere in a Midwest office", which did not sound like they knew exactly where it is... He did say I should hear back from them in a week.

Has anyone had this experience? I've heard of USCIS losing files, but, after your naturalization interview had already been scheduled for a month? Really? 

Not sure what to expect as the officer was not very clear, although very apologetic. I sent a message to USCIS through my USCIS online account, but I only got a generic response back not addressing my question at all, saying my case is still within timeline. 

I will see if I hear back from them by next week, but if don't, I will probably call them. I am just concerned there is nothing in my account indicating this happend, nor I got a follow up email to confirm the situation. So, how do I know if I call the person on the phone will know what I am talking about?

Anyway, the reason of my post is to learn if anyone had been in this situation particularly (lost file after interview scheduled) and if things got resolved fairly promptly.

Thank you,

JK.

You should contact one of your congressional representatives and/or the CIS Ombudsman to get this situation resolved. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

USCIS lose the A file, this is an old problem, long time ago people experience their file been lost and they have to wait extra time, usually 1 to 3 weeks, especially when they move to another state, now everything is electronically, I think all your information is stored on database.

There is nothing to worry about. Believe it or not, it is pretty common. 

The A-files go to storage facilities -they're not at the local offices- and appointments are scheduled by a software, based on your petition.

The A-file is requested AFTER the interview is scheduled and ideally, before the interview happens. But sometimes, it is not requested on time, so the file is not at the officer's desk when you arrive for the interview. 

Once the officer makes the request to locate and retrieve an A-file, it travels to your local office, and once there, takes another while to get to the officer's desk.

It can take up to a month, unless it is REALLY lost. 

I suggest you waiting around 2-3 weeks to call customer service; ask for a Tier 2 officer. They'll be able to tell you if the file was located and if it's already at your local office. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.