ZackG222

Dam Hoi Ceremony Help!!!!!

6 posts in this topic

My fiance and i are doing the k1 visa. for those who do not know what a Dam Hoi is. Dam Hoi is a traditional Vietnamese engagement party (not actual wedding).

should we have a Dam Hoi BEFORE i send the I-129 form?

or

should we have it AFTER i submit the  I-129 form and BEFORE the interview at the us embassy in ho chi minh

thank you

Edited by ZackG222

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I don't think the Dam Hoi is as important to the consulate as it used to be . . . we had ours before filing the 129F and mentioned it in our paperwork (relationship timeline and cover letter), but didn't include photos with the application.  If you wait until after submitting, perhaps mention it in the cover letter as a way of saying you will be visiting your fiance again.  They do appreciate multiple visits.

We brought evidence of the Dam Hoi to the interview along with LOTS of other photos, receipts, etc.  They didn't ask for any of it.  They didn't ask about the Dam Hoi at all, just about some of our trips together.

Jason

18 minutes ago, JasonGG said:

I don't think the Dam Hoi is as important to the consulate as it used to be . . . we had ours before filing the 129F and mentioned it in our paperwork (relationship timeline and cover letter), but didn't include photos with the application.  If you wait until after submitting, perhaps mention it in the cover letter as a way of saying you will be visiting your fiance again.  They do appreciate multiple visits.

We brought evidence of the Dam Hoi to the interview along with LOTS of other photos, receipts, etc.  They didn't ask for any of it.  They didn't ask about the Dam Hoi at all, just about some of our trips together.

Jason

thank you so much for your help Jason!!!

i do have one more question if you dont mind

do you know if HCMC embassy accept co-sponsors? my father will be our co-sponsor for my fiance, he makes over $100,000 a year. i make less than $18k a year.

thanks again!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
49 minutes ago, ZackG222 said:

thank you so much for your help Jason!!!

i do have one more question if you dont mind

do you know if HCMC embassy accept co-sponsors? my father will be our co-sponsor for my fiance, he makes over $100,000 a year. i make less than $18k a year.

thanks again!

I can't speak from experience, but from what I have read here, I  believe cosponsors are acceptable in HCM.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

They asked me and my wife (fiancee at the time) if we had an engagement party and my wife said no because we were saving to buy a house.  Was not an issue at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.