LuciaYeg

Spouse Visa when both of us are living abroad rn

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Here is a good place to start.  You will need to determine how best to establish domicile back in the US and be able to support you and your spouse for the eventual move back.

Good Luck!

https://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1/

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
39 minutes ago, LuciaYeg said:

We both are living outside of the US right now. Im a US citizen, my husband's not. We want to move to the US together, and want to live there. 

What are the processes, what should I look out for?

Living abroad -

First step - prepare to petition for your husband.  Means you, USC; need to get your taxes up to date and filed and start demonstrating your intent to return by establishing ties to the US.  Do you have family there?  Establish an address.  Move assets.  Whatever you can do to show in good faith that you intend to return to the US.  You are required to either accompany or precede him, or at least that’s what they told us.

Figure out how you can sponsor him.  You need to show enough income or assets to demonstrate that he will not become a public charge.  

You have to file a support affidavit for him after your petition is approved.  Figure this out now or it will bite you later.  

The affidavit you have to plan for is:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864

The income you need to show to sponsor him is:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p 

Choices to overcome this:

1. Cash or very liquid assets of 3x the required income

2.  Precede him to the US, go to work, sponsor him from there

3. Find a “co-sponsor” in the US, someone willing to fill out a support affidavit on his behalf.  

This is the biggest hurdle when both spouses live overseas.  Unless the USC spouse is working for a US company and their income will continue when they return whatever income they are making overseas is assumed to be zero for purposes of sponsorship.  Figuring it out now is good but it is not required until your petition is approved and you are getting his documents together for interview.

Next file a petition for him.  The I130 guide is a good one.  Assemble the attachments, fill out the form, send it in.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-130

Good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.